Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:21
Battling the Bulge!

Plan: none specific-
Stats: 259.5/227.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:2high! (no idea?)
Progress: 30%
Default facial hair

I have been diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago.
I was wondering if anyone out there knew any magic tricks for facial hair???
This is HORRIBLE & keeps getting worse!
I currently have to SHAVE my face like a MAN & it makes me feel SO UGLY & unattractive. HELP! If anyone knows something that I do not- pleeeeeease- SHARE the wealth!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 15:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I know how frustrating it is!! That is on my mind CONSTANTLY!! I've been using Nair Cream for Face. I use it once every two weeks or so, it keeps it under control. It stinks though, so grab a clothespin for your nose.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 15:40

Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi, I use Veet facial wax strips. They are a cold wax strip and they don't really hurt that much, a bit of an Ouch. They are very easy to use. It lasts for about 2-3 weeks on me and it isn't that costly.
Take care
Astrid
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 17:31

Plan: Atkins/SB/Low GI
Stats: 235/223/135 Female 64 inches
BF:47%/47%/20%
Progress: 12%

I know how you feel Donna. I have been reduced to using an electric razor too. Between facial hair and hair on my breasts I feel like a gorilla.

I tried using Neet/Nair type stuff for the face but it doesn't seem to remove the hair and leaves my face burnt and red. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried that sugaring stuff once and ended up with a sticky face. <Sigh> sometimes it seem hopeless.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 17:33

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I have been going to electrolosis for about 3 months, its to the point now where its just some spots left on my chin and neck. I had a full bear and gotee, it was horrible embarassing, I'd try everything nair, wax, ploucking even shaving, and it didnt work, at the end, I was shaving every day! electrolosis seems to be working I go every other week, and its only $45 a session. You should really check it out....

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 06:47
Battling the Bulge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansmk
I know how frustrating it is!! That is on my mind CONSTANTLY!! I've been using Nair Cream for Face. I use it once every two weeks or so, it keeps it under control. It stinks though, so grab a clothespin for your nose.

Thanks for your help- although- I have tried using the facial Nair & I must have really sensitive skin- it made my face burn & I had big red bumps for several days- uuugh! That was NOT the results I was looking for there! ha ha Thanks anyway!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 06:53
Battling the Bulge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid
Hi, I use Veet facial wax strips. They are a cold wax strip and they don't really hurt that much, a bit of an Ouch. They are very easy to use. It lasts for about 2-3 weeks on me and it isn't that costly.
Take care
Astrid

I was just wondering with the wax strips- wouldn't you have to let the hair grow out fairly long to be able to use this method of hair removal? My facial hair is DARK and my skin is fair-so- I shave it off every day. My job is one where I am around people alot and there is NO WAY I could let it grow out. I would be mortified!!! So I was just curious as to how long it would have to get?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 06:54
Battling the Bulge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlake66
I know how you feel Donna. I have been reduced to using an electric razor too. Between facial hair and hair on my breasts I feel like a gorilla.

I tried using Neet/Nair type stuff for the face but it doesn't seem to remove the hair and leaves my face burnt and red. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried that sugaring stuff once and ended up with a sticky face. <Sigh> sometimes it seem hopeless.

I know exactly what your saying there! I'm right there with you!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 07:02

Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna2128
I was just wondering with the wax strips- wouldn't you have to let the hair grow out fairly long to be able to use this method of hair removal? My facial hair is DARK and my skin is fair-so- I shave it off every day. My job is one where I am around people alot and there is NO WAY I could let it grow out. I would be mortified!!! So I was just curious as to how long it would have to get?

Hi, the hair has to be 3 to 4 mm. In the mean time I also use Jolen cream bleach. It is a mild formula with Aleo Vera and I find it works well. I have very sensitive skin, the bleach dosen't affect my skin at all, the waxing makes it red for 12 hrs ish.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Take care
Astrid
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 07:23
Battling the Bulge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyAyott
I have been going to electrolosis for about 3 months, its to the point now where its just some spots left on my chin and neck. I had a full bear and gotee, it was horrible embarassing, I'd try everything nair, wax, ploucking even shaving, and it didnt work, at the end, I was shaving every day! electrolosis seems to be working I go every other week, and its only $45 a session. You should really check it out....

Good luck.

I did try electrolosis once- it was just a consultation visit where they done a sample area to see if I could handle it- well- where it was slightly painful- I could have lived with that- but with in a day after having it done, the entire area that she treated was covered with little scabs! I don't know if it was my skin being sensitive or if the lady didn't know what she was doing??? I haven't went back since then for more treatments. I hear the laser hair removal is wonderful as well- but expensive! Maybe I will try to find another person that does electrolosis & give that one more try?
Thanks for the input!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 07:59

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid
Hi, the hair has to be 3 to 4 mm. In the mean time I also use Jolen cream bleach. It is a mild formula with Aleo Vera and I find it works well. I have very sensitive skin, the bleach dosen't affect my skin at all, the waxing makes it red for 12 hrs ish.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Take care
Astrid

I'm a licensed esthetician & I was just about to give this advice. I have clients with the same problem. I wouldn't shave though because when it comes back it seems darker & more course ,so you have to do it every day but with the waxing you'll have to probably do it once a month. I have some clients that do eyebrows & lips once a month then the rest of their face every other month.

Good luck.
Josie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 20:32

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna2128
I did try electrolosis once- it was just a consultation visit where they done a sample area to see if I could handle it- well- where it was slightly painful- I could have lived with that- but with in a day after having it done, the entire area that she treated was covered with little scabs! I don't know if it was my skin being sensitive or if the lady didn't know what she was doing??? I haven't went back since then for more treatments. I hear the laser hair removal is wonderful as well- but expensive! Maybe I will try to find another person that does electrolosis & give that one more try?
Thanks for the input!

Years ago I had electrolysis done to remove some dark hairs from my upper lip (ouch!). The lady who did it was excellent, and I never had any bumps or soreness. She explained that she used the "blend method" - a combo of the galvanic and thermolysis methods. She was also experienced enough that she adjusted the currents manually with a foot pedal.

About a year later a few grew back, and I had to find another electrolysist because I had moved. This lady also used blend, but she let a computer control the currents, and I looked and felt terribly sore for several days afterward! I hadn't realized how much I'd lucked out the first time I guess.

So I'd say, call around and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. If someone isn't comfortable with a technique then they'll probably botch it if you insist on it. Also, be prepared to pay more for a really good therapist - the first lady charged me almost 3 times as much per hour than the second one did (and it was worth it), but that was a different city as well.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 08:38

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

There are a number of hair-retardant creams you can get to use after shaving or waxing - I don't know the names of any that might be available in the US, but we have loads here.
You need to apply them at least once a day, but they gradually reduce regrowth and make it finer too.
Laser treatment is great, especially if the hair is dark and you are also dark-skinned. Supposed to be painless (!) but for me it was OUCH, but worth it, especially as I got in on a trial for quite a cheap rate. However, because I am very fair skinned, it didn't zap the lot, but with the cream it's all sooooooo much more manageable.
Babs
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 09:05

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Vaniqa is the name of one prescribable hair-retardant cream if anyone wants to look it up, although there are 'cosmetic' alternatives, too.
Babs
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 12:04

Stats: -/-/- Female 170cm
BF:
Progress:

tried everything to get rid of my facial hair and the only thing that worked for me was laser therapy. It took eight sessions and is expensive but now I have minimal facial hair - permanently - expensive but worth it. No more, shaving and waxing and worrying! Hope it helps.