Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: bfl
Stats: 232.5/218.0/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Yes, thank you. I'm just switching to straight bfl. It is day 1 for me and it seems like I'm eating all the time. And I'm increasing my carbs so much!!! I will weigh and measure in 4 weeks so I'm going to rely on how I'm feeling for a change. I have 4 weeks from today to go to Florida so it's crunch time. I will take off Mon-thurs of my vacation and then back on on Friday. (I will have been working out bfl for 11 weeks by then so it will be like taking a week off sort of). I'll keep you posted.

Kristen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 00:11
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Cool Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac11962
Thank you both for your replies but I have something to say about that. I am 224lbs...I need to be 140ish. I can't possibly stay this weight even if I have muscle. How the hell long does this take? I have been at this for so long. I am so sad today!!! Should I give up the low carb eating even though it's the only time I've never binged? Or should I give up the BFL workouts even though I love it?? I NEED to lose this weight. I am motivated and focused!!!! UGH!!!
Kristen

If you really are motivated and focused then you have alread succeeded!
Congratulations with that, most people have trouble with persisting.

The next simple thing is then to actually transform your body. Simple!

Choose a diet that works for you, and exercise that works for you. You may have to experiment with that. You should educate yourself and try things, and when you feel 'that's it!', stick with that for a longer period.

I lost 14 kg fat in 1 year, gained 6,5 kg muscle. I know your frustration etc. I have had that too. I found my way and continue my system. You have to find yours.

Advice: Don't look at your weight: Look at your fat mass.

Your bodycomposition is far more important than the scales. In fact a lot of people losing weight lose muscle! Which will make them actually fatter and more unhealthy.

Try to establish your basic metabolic rate, and subtract no more then 500 kcal from that. More will prevent you from losing fat!!!

Try to build muscle because that will help burn calories.

Within the calorielimit you make for yourself, look at the average in a week, eat everything and make a party for yourself
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 06:32

Plan: FAT FLUSH PLAN
Stats: 223.5/149.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hey guys it's me again (although I had to change my name fromckmac11962 to kmac11968...it is still me). I want to update you all a bit. I stayed with bfl after I got back from Florida and finished the challenge at the same weight and without much change in the measurements. My dh starting saying that it was too much food, too many carbs,,,etc you know trying to be helpful and give me options. So I abandoned bfl eating (kept the workouts...even now) and switched to 1)weight watchers for a few weeks,6 maybe, then with no results moved to Dr phil which is pretty much bfl. I have kept count of my fat, carbs, protein and calories. I have tried tweeking here and tweeking there. My dad who is a successful weight lifter, looked at my papers of all of this info and said, too much fat no ww (I stayed under 30) okay so what about the bfl and dr phil papers I had weeks and weeks of??? He doesn't get it....so I go to my Dr. and he does preliminary checks...My blood pressure is "like an athlete" my lungs are clear. My muscle tone is good. My body fat is low in relation to my weight..(still needs to come down, though). My tests (T4 and TSH, gluclose, liver, hormones, cholesterol) were all great!! He says I couldn't be healthier and to not worry about the weight. I say...I can't be 220 lbs forever and stay healthy...eventually my heart will protest. So he is sending me to an endocrinologist in February for a complete workup but he doesn't suspect anything is wrong. Just that I have the fat gene in my family and it makes it near impossible to lose weight........Okay great!!! Well, here I am a year later after these first posts and I am in the same "wonderful" spot. Measurements the same, weight the same (I gain weight during TOM and then it comes off over the next 3 weeks which means there is no change from month to month). I am completely frustrated and mystified!! My dh feels so bad for me...he always says that I have the most will power out of anyone he knows. Anyway, I emailed that Jim guy from dr phil and he says to stop drinking the Eas shakes and lean deli ham and that should work???? Guess what? It didn't!! My dr says that sodium doesn't make that much of a difference...2 lbs maybe. So here I am ....back to Low Carb (25g a day of fruits and veggies) I'm not watching my fat and protein. I am doing bfl workouts. ( I was over the summer working out twice a day with no results). Still no change except I feel fatter. My body felt tighter with bfl. Anyway....just venting again and asking for any help at all.......

Kristen
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 07:29
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Sorry to hear you've had such a struggle Kristen...

It sounds like you still need to find the "right" program for you. If everyone could lose weight the same way there wouldn't be so many programs out there!

The bfl workouts will help to build lean muscle mass and *should* help burn off fat... wish I could help you more with your frustration.

Hang in there, you will find the right mix for you body!
kiks
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 12:17

BF:

Thanks kiks...I'm not so sure!!!

Kristen
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 20:44

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Kristen - post your TSH and T4 numbers, ok? Your doc may have strange ideas about what consitutes 'normal' Was it Free T4 or some other test? For example, I am being medicated with a TSH of 2.10 and a Free T4 of 1.3. Those are 'within range', but nowhere near 'optimal. Also, there's been a recent change in the TSH guidelines. The range is now .35-3.0, with a trial of meds recommended for anyone over 2.5 who has symptoms.

Cheers,

Friday
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 19:00

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Kristen,

You will achieve your goal!

Depending on your lifestyle before you started the dieting and BFL, it's very likely your lean body mass increased back up to a point to where it wanted to be naturally. It was able to do that due to the increased protein intake and weight training. Other than that, some weight fluctuation is normal anyway.

Stick with your plan until your sure it's time to make some adjustments. As your bodyweight decreases, so should your calorie intake. If calories stay the same, then your activity level will have to go up at some point if you wish to keep losing.

Last edited by kbfunTH : Tue, Jan-25-05 at 23:32.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 00:56

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
Kristen,
As your bodyweight decreases, so should your calorie intake.

FYI, if your body weight decreases while gaining muscle, reducing calories is not advised. More LBM *increases* your metabolism. If you want to keep that muscle, you will need to feed it. Example: A person who goes from 120 lbs lean and 50 lbs fat to 130 lbs lean and 30 lbs fat has a net loss of 10 lbs, but her metabolism will have gone UP by about 500 calories PER DAY.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 05:39

BF:

Hi .Thanks, kbfun for the post....I have worked out regularly for 8 years. I have tons of muscle (under the fat). Nothing I do shocks my body into giving anything up. I don't know why. I'm still at the same weight today. I have been reading about carb cycling and I just ordered a new book by Jay Robb. Hoping to read some new ideas, although like Fridayeyes, I have been in this weight loss game for so long I could write a book. But no one would read it cuz I'm still fat!!! I know what to do and why and I do it but I lose nothing. Anyway...the average person can cut down a bit, start walking a bit and the shed pounds like water. Obesity runs rampant in my family....I'm the smallest, healthiest one....can you imagine?? Thanks for all your input.....I love reading the support.

Kristen
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 10:56

BF:

Just an update incase anyone wants to know. I started fat flush plan on 2/14 and I've lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. I haven't been this weight in 6 years!!!! I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the support.

Kristen
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 23:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/230/170 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default bfl rotation?

OK, we know that every five weeks or so we change up our weightlifting program so that the muscles don't get complacent, right? Does it make sense just to change the exercise we do one set of with the exercise we do 5 sets of, then switch back 5 weeks later? It's just that I have limited weights here and am comfortable with the plan I have now. Example:
Weeks 1-5
Chest pressx12 reps
chest pressx10 reps
chest pressx8 reps
chest pressx6reps
chest pressx12reps
flysx12
Week 5-10
flyx12
flyx10
flyx8
flyx6