Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question which book? PP-lifeplan or the newer edition

the first lo-carb book i read was sugar-busters which was a great introduction to the science of low carbing so i have a decent understanding of the ins and outs of low carb vs a normal american diet...

my question is which Protein Power book should i buy?

i know there is the Protein Power Lifeplan published in 1995 and then there is Protein Power; The High-Protein/Low Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight and Feel Fit which was published in 1997.

if i only want to buy one book - which one should i buy?

and what about the gram counter book? is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 17:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I vote for buying PPLP, since you're already familiar with the concept of LCing. Nutrition is summed up at the end of the book; the rest of the book is really valuble info that's not entirely carb related. PP was good to get from the library, but PPLP is the one I prefer to keep.

It's also probably the one that the Eadeses would want you to buy: they were a little disappointed that their previous publisher 'pressured' them to turn PP into just another diet book. PPLP has all the stuff they really wanted to write about. Plus, new research caused them to change their minds on a few issues.

HTH.

(edit: ) BTW, "Protein Power" was the original book; the follow-up is "Protein Power Lifeplan: A New Comprehensive Blueprint for Optimal Health" published in 2000.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:18
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

If you want to get more diet advice, then read the original Protein Power...and if you get it in paperback, read the last chapter first. The chapter about the mummies was the first chapter in the hardcover, for some reason it got shuffled to the back in the paperback edition. I think the editors wanted to leave it out, but I thought it was the most interesting chapter in the book.

You can do what I did. Read them both from the library and buy them when you feel that you can.

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 06:43

Plan: protein power
Stats: 163/154/142
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Take a look at their latest book

You may also want to take a look at their latest book, The 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution. It doesn't talk too much about the science behind it all (you can read about that in the library) but it has a great, easy to follow meal plan. Plus it's not too big and bulky, so if you travel, it's not too hard to tote along. I especially love how they demonstrate that the USDA food pyramid is almost exactly like the feedlot pryamid. Scary, huh? To think that the animals who are to be fattened up for slaughter get the same proportions of fat, carbs, and protein as is recommended by the USDA for people who want to lose weight and be healthy....
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 19:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default 30 Day Plan

I second the last poster's suggestion to go with the 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution. It's been very helpful to me, and I just let my Mom borrow it and she's liking it too.

I have the Lifeplan book and the original PP, and while I enjoy them immensely, once you know the science behind it you don't really need them anymore. Well, I do go back and read for enjoyment, but I don't need them for my daily meal choices. The 30 Solution book and the Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook are the ones that I've been going to for meal and snack inspiration.