Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 17:25

Plan: induction
Stats: 225/190/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default summer was a breeze, winter not so much

so easy to low carb during the warm months, salads, grill, etc . But having trouble during the winter when I need something to warm me up. Don't like cauliflower. About had my fill of soup. Any ideas for a quick, warm meal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 20:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Chile, stew, gulasch. You say you are sick of soups (I can sympathize) but there are numerous soups that are thicker and more stew like. Do a roast of some sort on a day when you are home, and eat from it for days; reheat bits in a low carb gravy made with the drippings. Oops, just saw the "quick" in your post. But a big pot of chile etc, or a roast chicken or leg of lamb, may take awhile up front, but is quick in the succeeding days. Even a nice meatloaf should last several days if not too many are eating off of it. Getting away from the meat - look up shakshuka/eggs with sauce. Or eggs with cheese & spinach. There are all sorts of ideas that don't include cauliflower.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 08:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I work until 6:30 pm on my regular shift, so I hear you on wanting a quick, hot meal. One of my favorite kitchen toys is my George Foreman grill. Do you have one of those? It makes it a breeze to cook a couple of smoked sausages, frozen burgers, wieners, fish portions, pork chops... I particularly like the vacuum-packed pre-seasoned variety of the pork chops. I stock up on them when they're on sale for two bucks/pair and the expiry date is usually really far away. They have some sugar in them, and it looks like you're still on induction, but I'll trade that 2 g carb for the convenience and high HOB score (Husband On Board. ) Plain raw pork chops probably work, too, though I've never tried them on the clamshell.

If you don't have a grill, a fry pan will do, but I imagine it would take a bit longer to cook. The grills are cheap, heat up really quickly, and easy to wipe up afterward. (Big thanks to whoever it was on this forum who suggested putting wet paper towels on it as soon as you're done cooking, then wipe after dinner. )

I do make lots of soup and chili, and have lots of portions in the freezer, but you said you're souped out. One of my trick for non-soup meals - and I just did this yesterday - is cook large portions of meat fairly plain, so I can do something different with the leftovers - maybe a quick curry, a stir fry, salad, etc. I cooked up 3 large chicken breasts that I bought from the reduced rack, and I just cooked them in plain chicken broth for use later this week. I cooked a beef roast and had it 'au jus' with veggies, and later in the week, I can either do leftovers the same way or a stir-fry. Frozen mixed veggies have become my best friend for these quick weeknight meals.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 08:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Any low carb sauce that would go good on pasta can be spooned over scrambled eggs, shredded lettuce, spiralized zucchini etc. Or low carb taco toppings over shredded lettuce, maybe with some pork rinds to scoop it up.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 09:28

BF:
Progress:
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Any low carb sauce that would go good on pasta can be spooned over scrambled eggs, shredded lettuce, spiralized zucchini etc. Or low carb taco toppings over shredded lettuce, maybe with some pork rinds to scoop it up.

thank you for your ideas !!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 09:29

BF:
Progress:
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi. I work until 6:30 pm on my regular shift, so I hear you on wanting a quick, hot meal. One of my favorite kitchen toys is my George Foreman grill. Do you have one of those? It makes it a breeze to cook a couple of smoked sausages, frozen burgers, wieners, fish portions, pork chops... I particularly like the vacuum-packed pre-seasoned variety of the pork chops. I stock up on them when they're on sale for two bucks/pair and the expiry date is usually really far away. They have some sugar in them, and it looks like you're still on induction, but I'll trade that 2 g carb for the convenience and high HOB score (Husband On Board. ) Plain raw pork chops probably work, too, though I've never tried them on the clamshell.

If you don't have a grill, a fry pan will do, but I imagine it would take a bit longer to cook. The grills are cheap, heat up really quickly, and easy to wipe up afterward. (Big thanks to whoever it was on this forum who suggested putting wet paper towels on it as soon as you're done cooking, then wipe after dinner. )

I do make lots of soup and chili, and have lots of portions in the freezer, but you said you're souped out. One of my trick for non-soup meals - and I just did this yesterday - is cook large portions of meat fairly plain, so I can do something different with the leftovers - maybe a quick curry, a stir fry, salad, etc. I cooked up 3 large chicken breasts that I bought from the reduced rack, and I just cooked them in plain chicken broth for use later this week. I cooked a beef roast and had it 'au jus' with veggies, and later in the week, I can either do leftovers the same way or a stir-fry. Frozen mixed veggies have become my best friend for these quick weeknight meals.

Thank you for your ideas !!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 09:30

BF:
Progress:
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Chile, stew, gulasch. You say you are sick of soups (I can sympathize) but there are numerous soups that are thicker and more stew like. Do a roast of some sort on a day when you are home, and eat from it for days; reheat bits in a low carb gravy made with the drippings. Oops, just saw the "quick" in your post. But a big pot of chile etc, or a roast chicken or leg of lamb, may take awhile up front, but is quick in the succeeding days. Even a nice meatloaf should last several days if not too many are eating off of it. Getting away from the meat - look up shakshuka/eggs with sauce. Or eggs with cheese & spinach. There are all sorts of ideas that don't include cauliflower.

Thank you for your ideas !!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 22:56
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

I love the taco toppings idea, gotta have cheese or a little sour cream. guacamole
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I like making lc meatloaf and freezing big slices for a quick filling grab food. I also precook brockworst and freeze them for the same reason.