Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 18:13

Plan: lchf
Stats: 185/167/155 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default please tell me if this bread is bad or if i should restrict it

this is recipe i got from youtube the only thing i changed was the almond flour it had called for quinoa . i am still enough of a newbee at this to not be sure if this is good low carb or not . it is ok but needs to have some upgrades in way of taste and for that i have a few ideas , tea , essential oils spices there are a variety of things that i could try . just need an opinion if this is ok to go with

5 Eggs
1/2 Cup of coconut milk
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
mix these ingredients

3 Tablespoons of coconut oil

add this and mix well

60 Grams of psyllium husks
40 Grams of chia seeds
40 Grams of pumpkin seeds
40 Grams of sunflower seeds
20 Grams of almond flower
Teaspoon of baking powder

mix these well

1 Teaspoon of baking soda

mix this in

oven to 320 and bake 60 minutes

thanks
Al
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 22:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Hey Al,

I'm remembering answering your first post, telling you about threads for finding recipes...probably misleading. Just starting out, you need to be strict to get your weight loss moving.

For example, Atkins has a 2 week (I think) period called induction, which doesn't allow seeds or nuts - so this recipe wouldn't be allowed in that phase.

Do you have an Atkins book? If not, I recommend either Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution (the original from 1972), or Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (slightly relaxed version of the original) - read it cover to cover.

The first phase, induction, is necessary to get you losing - Dr. Atkins explains the biochemistry of this very well.

Here is a good thread to read through (a group that follows induction strictly): http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471144

Get reading - and best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 03:26

BF:
Progress:

thanks , of course i never thought to go out and buy a book. I started on youtube where i came across a doctor who treats obese patients who often have diabetes 2 which is my problem. her name is susan hallberg and she gives a 20 minute ted talk . Until her talk i had never heard of reversing diabetes. i got inspired by her talk and then stumbled onto dr mary vernon who is also treating patients with type 2 diabetes and obesity . i then stumbled around on my own and i now find myself on these forums in search of my holy grail of reversing my type 2 diabetes , and alleviating my high blood pressure . since i have been at this i am down app 18 lbs. i am busy so i am out a lot and need to eat in restaurants mostly although i do cook for myself at night i will get the atkins book because as i can see on this forum there are lots of people doing this and getting weight loss results. My focus is on low carb high fat .
the videos i started with are linked below if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ&t=712s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ

thanks for taking the time to reply i appreciate the effort and help
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 05:45

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

dr. susan hallberg is well thought of here. I think she coined the play on the GPS acronym, "no grains, potatos or sugars" - This is my guiding principle and easy to explain to others if they ask, and they do.

You are on the right track, keep reading and avoiding the above for now until you get a plan locked in that you think you can follow and fits your lifestyle AND reverses T2D - Another person you may want to google is Dr. Jason Fung - intermittent fasting - skipping meals my be a way for you to deal with going out all the time but there are also ways to eat fairly low carb at restaurants. the simplest one I do is order a salad and a hamburger no fries, dump the hamburger and fixens into the salad and offer the soggy bun to your compainions, they will probably refuse
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 07:45

BF:
Progress:

thanks for your Reply Thud123, it turns out that even though i am out in restaurants all the time i chose the places that have salad bars and eat from that , i recently discovered that a&w sells burgers wrapped in lettece as part of there regular menu so i do that from time to time as well , my current intermitent fasting seems to be ok for me so far i can stop eating after my evening meal but that can be as late at 6 or 9 then i wont eat again till noon or so i try to get a 12 hour period of no eating . II am on this site as a result of the obsession to discover the truth of my condition , dr hallberg calls it carbohydrate intolerance which , having a label makes it easy for me to keep in mind. i am motivated,resourceful and i dont give up easily . But having these discussions with real people makes it so much more doable i am so grateful for all the people and post here . together we can change or lives . I have tried out the line on my friends " everything they have told us is a lie " not doing to well with that one but it is what i believe now and nutrition is the final nail in the coffin of institutional integrety for me

if your interested in a free book it is available here . it is Dr Petter Glidden and the entire books seems to be available as a pdf here

http://truthbarrier.com/wp-content/...yright-2014.pdf

thanks for being there
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 09:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus0320
... i recently discovered that a&w sells burgers wrapped in lettece as part of there regular menu so i do that from time to time as well

Excellent and thanks for the link. I've also finally tried a burger from a chain called Hardees - I guess they will make any one of their burgers with lettuce wrap. I stay as far away from these places as possible in general but I was driving a long distance one day and decided to take a break and see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't THAT good but it was low carb and powered me home. I understand that many other establishments are getting into it too but I don't go out hardly at all, and If i do, like you, a buffet or salad bar is a great option. Here's that bunless buger from a few weeks ago...

ps, I can't really comment on the "bread" above but it looks a whole lot better than Wonder Bread! As your finding your way thinking of ways to diminish harm to your body is good. There is no perfect, we don't have all the answers. The body does what the body does however, we can try to tend to it with the best knowledge we have today and always what we think we know might be wrong.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 10:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, nexxus. All the names you encountered in your web searches can be rounded up at one excellent resource: Dietdoctor.com

There you'll find interviews, presentations, menus, etc. You can get a free trial membership to investigate everything. But most of the essentials are free all the time. Susan Hallberg (of the squeaky voice!), Mary Vernon, Jason Fung, Tim Noakes, and countless other responsible voices looking for ways to treat or defeat obesity, Type 2, and other chronic conditions.

Meanwhile, stick with us here as well.

Best wishes.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 11:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I got through my 60-lb weight loss on lettuce-wrapped fast food at least 3x a week. Carl's Jr had non-breaded chicken breast sandwiches - I still order the Santa Fe Chicken as a lettuce wrap. Also, In n Out has them too, they call it 'protein style'. I have asked for a burger on a pile of lettuce in restaurants that don't do the wraps. Cheeseburger salad! Yum!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
...I have asked for a burger on a pile of lettuce in restaurants that don't do the wraps. Cheeseburger salad! Yum!

One of the easiest and deliciousest things to make for me is burger in a bowl. Nexus you can get real creative topping it of with other low carb ingredients, some that you wouldn't usually put on a burger, here's one...

Fried Egg, Bacon, Radish, Kimchi over iceberg/spinach mix. I'm hungry now!

#10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 15:40

BF:
Progress:

i know what you mean about creative. I was at the best buffet in ottawa for the price today and had two helpings of salad then i went for a burger topped with a tomato, lettuce , and salsa over which i put a large helping of green onions instead of bread i am really liking eating like this. i am sure i ate more that i should . Also i know i am getting about 4 carbs per coffee as i use a generous helping of cream and stevia so i made a bunch of cinnamon and stevia mixed together and i tried that in a black coffee and it was not bad . Not ready to make that my eye opener but i could easily get use to it and have one here and there during the day. A bonus is the cinnamon is really good for your health.

on another note i have to learn to shut up to everyone i have lunch with over the food choices and why i make them . it reminds me of sobering up and trying to get everyone i knew to quit .
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-17, 14:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
i have to learn to shut up to everyone i have lunch with over the food choices and why i make them
Yep. Good idea just to get on with your plan and keep it to yourself. Almost nothing is more boring than a food evangelist.

That's why you're here--and we're here. Nobody here gets bored talking about LC.

Last road trip, I think it was Wendy's that served any of their burgers on lettuce. Very filling and delicious
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

You could also try something called 'Cloud Bread'. It's basically a bread substitute made from eggs and cream cheese. But it's pretty tasty, and it's just as adaptable as traditional bread!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 12:43

BF:
Progress:

i have made a few changes to my nut and seed bread

instead of sunflower seeds i have substituted for flax seed i grind 20 grams into powder and i use 20 grams as seeds

the taste was somewhat bland but it is so good for daily evacuation that i dont want to do without this as a staple . a couple of slices a day is really good for me . i decided to try mayonnaise with raw cocoa and cinnamon and stevia mixed together and it turned out really really good it would be a decent topping for any kind of bread especially if you are like me and like sweets.
i use a mixture of cocoa and cinnamon of app 50/50 and stevia to taste
the mayo only has 1 carb per teaspoon so i thought that was great and also the cinnamon and cocoa have there own particular benefits
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 14:31

Plan: Atkins 2002 edition
Stats: 229.6/209/138 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Speaking of burgers. In & Out also has one.

But here's another fun option. The avocado burger.

Avocado Burger

Ingredient:
1 ripe avocado
1 egg
2 bacon rashers
1 red onion slice
1 tomato slice
1 lettuce leaf
1 tablespoon Paleo mayonnaise ( I use Best Foods. It;s fine. Trace sugar)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Place the bacon rashers on a cold frying pan. Turn the stove on and start frying the bacon. When bacon beings to curl, flip it with a fork. Continue cooking the bacon until it is crispy.
Remove the bacon from the pan and crack the egg into the same pan, using the bacon fat to cook it. Cook until the white is set but the yolk is still runny.
Slice the avocados in half width-wise. Remove the pit and use a spoon to scoop it out of its skin.
Fill the hole where the pit used to be with Paleo mayonnaise.
Layer with lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, and fried egg.
Top with the second half of the avocado.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Egg...Recipe-43049460
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AvocadoBurger2.jpg (53.0 KB, 3 views)
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-17, 04:03

BF:
Progress:

i am down it seems by another few pounds i am nearing 160 now and my blood sugar numbers were so good i have slacked off a bit and i am having the odd piece of bread here and there but for the most part i am staying on the diet and it is still getting results. Anybody else wonder if losing this much weight might be a sign of a sickness rather than low carb diet . damn this is to easy.

I have become very fond of cocoa and cinnamon and stevia for my coffee it is slowly becoming my preferred method of drinking coffee. i am now looking for little pouches for my belt i can keep stuff in i need here and there on my travels in order to have better choices for meals like my own cocoa and cinnamon for my coffee. i would not mind a few packages of real olive oil i can use in a crunch on me too.

my nut bread recipe is a daily thing now as soon as i have finished a loaf i make another . last night i used some orange essential oils to improve the taste it is not bad but nothing to write home about just yet but the benefits to the daily constitutional can not be overstated.

this is the best weight i have had in the last 37 or so years and there are so many food choices , as long as you can stomach veggies as a big component that i am constantly finding new stuff to eat