Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 21:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 392/289/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
what kind of flavors do you guys use? Do the sweet tasting ones trigger cravings?

I guess you can get roast beef flavored!

I use a tobacco flavor called seven leaves. It is has a woody sweetish flavor but it doesn't cause any cravings.

I do have a rather sweet strawberry flavor as well that has helped with sweet cravings from time to time.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 11:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 172/168/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

My husband and I have been on the e-cig since January, but I was kind of cheating...I finally gave up "real" cigs on May 23 and now I know what my husband was saying...I can breathe better, no mucous staying in my throat...no colds...my youngest son is home for the summer from college and said for the first time in YEARS, he has not been woken up from hearing me hack and cough in my sleep...I smell better and I am SO happy...I love the taste of my "cotton candy" flavor and have had no problem with wanting "real" sweets...Hubby said we are NOW saving $400 a month since we quit buying the "real things" and our house does not smell like a stale cig anymore either...I have not gained any additional weight...still getting nicotine, but have already gone down from 24 mg. to 18 mg...when we first started the ecigs we bought all supplies from a little store in our area...now, we order online when we need and it is half the price of what we were paying in the store...for me, this is the BEST transition...I could not do Chantix, gum or patches...the vapor is amazing and our flavors don't leave any smell...MY goal is to be done with it ALL by December...we will see
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-13, 04:45

Stats: 251.9/179.8/160 Female 5'6 inches
BF:43%/40%/31%/28.8%
Progress: 78%

I came to this site for Low Carb support, but i saw this and had to respond. In July 2012 my husband and i (after trying for 4 years) finally went to the doctor to see why we couldn't get prego. Before anything else he said we must do the basics. A. Quit smoking and B. lose weight. We picked our electronic cigarette kits (which he actually recommended) with 2 cigarettes left in our packs. 1 was for the ride home (the shop was 40 minutes away) and the other was for after our dinner that night. Since that day we haven't picked up an anolog cigarette since! After 2 weeks using them we didn't wake up coughing, and i could take a deep clean breath without my lungs or chest hurting. It was AMAZING.

Sure you may still be addicted to nicotine, but the beauty of it is, you can gradually step down just like the patch or the gum to less and less nicotine. We started at 24mg nicotine and are down to 6mg nicotine... eventually we hope to just be smoking them for the hand to mouth habit. It has been such an amazing experience for us and anyone having trouble kicking it the cold turkey way, i recomend them 1000000%. There are many brands and styles to chose from and most people start out with something over priced and resembling a cigarette. (i did) eventually you realize you just want something that is good quality and works. We use the Ego-c Twists with variable voltage and the kanger t2's and t3 clearomizers. They work perfectly and are very long lasting. In addition to the reduction in horrible toxins. Trace amounts of nicotine are found in tomatoes, eggplant, cauliflower, and potatoes (i realize negligable) but consumtpion of large quantities does allow you to get part of this nightshade family toxin, and therefore lowering the "dose" we take of nicotine was something we wanted to do. Small amounts actually have a few benefits, like less risk of Alzheimer's, less ulcer flair ups and can help with blood vessel growth (common problem for diabeties sufferers is circulation, this helps that). I'm not promoting it, but i'm just saying it's not ALL horrid. It's those other chemicals that are the most deadly. I figure if i cut out everything else and am just getting low dose nicotine and water vapor with flavoring, i'm doing a lot better than smoking anolog.

I just want to tell others out there after 10 years for me smoking and 15 for my husband it worked for us. Sure someone might walk by after smoking a cigarette and smell like the krispy cream drive thru to you, but for the most part it's a great deterent and idle hands are the devils work so while i'm smoking it i don't eat as much. It has been a savior on my L/C induction.

Good luck and well wishes to anyone trying to quit and trust me once you see that extra 100-200$ cash flow each month for new clothes your gonna wanna stick with it! If you need info on great place to buy vampingme .com is a wonderful company with great customer service and free fast shipping over $30 or more!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-13, 10:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
There still is no 'safe' cigarette. Nicotine has negative health consequences even without the tar and myriad other chemicals found in regular cigarettes; Nicotine is still a poison, after all. Granted, this is a lot less toxic then smoking filterless Camels, but it's still not doing your health any favors.

My mom used to make an organic pesticide that had nicotine as one of the ingredients. It's quite poisonous to bugs.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-13, 10:00

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

I know nicotine is bad. I know smoking is bad. Which is why I think ecigs are good. Why? Cause I quit smoking in January but couldn't get past the need to have something in my hand that eventually made its way to my mouth. Now hubby offered to help with this. lol But seriously, this habit- which has NOTHING to do with the actual nicotine, was going to sabotage my efforts.

Enter ecigs. I got the kind that has no nicotine. They work awesome. Because I don't really miss the nicotine. I miss the hand to mouth thing. I will eventually taper down the hand to mouth thing. Eventually. Probably by Spring. When I will switch over to flavored hookah charcoal also nicotine free. For after dinner or for celebrations or other special occasions.

I don't care about the crutch that I seem to need to quit smoking. I just care about quitting.

And the best thing? The brand that I use offer blank cartridges. I get to fill them myself and come up with different flavor combos. And for those of you that have tapered down from 12 to 6 or heavy to light, well, the blank cartridges can be used to tapered down even more by coming up with say one half zero nicotine with half 6mg nicotine. Then you can mix it down even further until you are at zero as well.

Ecigs are awesome for helping smokers be nonsmokers AND STAY THAT WAY.

Just my 2 cents.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-13, 10:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That's actually very cool that people are weaning themselves off of cigs and nicotine gradually with this. Going cold turkey was awful.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 09:42

Stats: 392/289/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
There still is no 'safe' cigarette. Nicotine has negative health consequences even without the tar and myriad other chemicals found in regular cigarettes; Nicotine is still a poison, after all. Granted, this is a lot less toxic then smoking filterless Camels, but it's still not doing your health any favors.

So is caffeine, water, and even oxygen. Anything is a poison in high concentrations.

The effect of nicotine on the body is very similar to caffeine. The dangerous stuff in cigarettes is the tar and chemicals.

Nicotine has also been found to have some therapeutic qualities as well.