Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Weight gain on week 2 in Atkins? Ick.

Okay, last time I go down this road, I promise.

Week one was great. Lost six pounds.

Week two has been awful. No carb creep. About the same amount of exercise (possibly a touch more, but nothing that would make an impact), which is 150 mins. Have gained a pound back. I'm not really noticing much in waistline measure, either, although that's harder to measure consistently. I know that weight loss manifests itself in different ways, and many have requested the measuring tape. Clothes fit about the same. Tucking away the scale, but really discouraged after a week of eating only fats and protein. Even ate fish, which I really don't like.

Have other people had the same experiences in the first few weeks? Will weight loss kind of restart on its own? Etc.

There are some good signs. The cravings and hunger levels have definitely gone down. So that's good. I do miss ice cream, though, but the hardest part is just walking past the ice cream store. Once I'm past it, the cravings die.

Anyway, I have no plans to fall off the wagon, but I'd love to hear that I'm not doing this all only to get discouraged a month from now. Total weight loss to get to a healthy weight was 60 lbs, so I have plenty of room to go.

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 08:25

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

If you are staying on plan, your body should begin to slowly but steadily drop the weight. It is not a race, although I know the impatience of wanting to get to a given goal.

I got stuck around 205 for almost 10 days, 2 weeks into the program, before the weight started moving down again, and I was not cheating and working out regularly.

One of the keys for me, I am convinced, besides the elimination of carbs, was the elimination of snacking and booze. I figure I probably took in 1000+ calories a day, mostly carbs, snacking between meals before I got on the plan.

Eat to the plan, eat smart, exercise, and you should be looking at 1** on the scale before you know it!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 08:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
If you are staying on plan, your body should begin to slowly but steadily drop the weight. It is not a race, although I know the impatience of wanting to get to a given goal.

I got stuck around 205 for almost 10 days, 2 weeks into the program, before the weight started moving down again, and I was not cheating and working out regularly.

One of the keys for me, I am convinced, besides the elimination of carbs, was the elimination of snacking and booze. I figure I probably took in 1000+ calories a day, mostly carbs, snacking between meals before I got on the plan.

Eat to the plan, eat smart, exercise, and you should be looking at 1** on the scale before you know it!

Thanks Sniggle! That's exactly what I need to hear! I'm not a drinker, so thta part has been easy for me. I'm eating three meals per day and generally not hungry, although if I do get hungry during the day, which happens every so often, I will eat something low/no-carb, such as almonds (btw, for those who would like to know, 1/4 cup of almonds is approximately 25 almonds and about 2 net carbs). One snack per day, only if I'm hungry.

Looking forward to a re-acceleration going forward and would love to hear more of these stories.

Mike
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 08:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm not trying to be clever by saying this but it seems true for me. My experience measured in weekly increments:

Weight goes down, Weight goes up, Weight stays the same. Wait.

#5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 09:42

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hey Mike, listen to these two guys...they got it right. I know, I know easier said than done.....I hate the weight,wait..pun intended too. but trust us, stay on plan it will come off and as I'm sure you have heard just 'cause it isn't in #'s it could be elsewhere...hang in, we are all here with ya...ttyl
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 10:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have lost five pounds in two weeks.
Here is why you can be up or down a pound during week 2-3.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-18, 16:04

Stats: 315/255.4/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Ht. 5'11"
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You have lost five pounds in two weeks.
Here is why you can be up or down a pound during week 2-3.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499

I read this article yesterday and today was my 2 week weigh in. I lost 5 lbs the first week and today it says I've gained a pound back in spite of eating the same way for the past 2 weeks, no cheating. I read it at the right time because otherwise, I'd be very discouraged.

Thanks for posting it!

I woke up very thirsty this morning and I think I'm not drinking enough water. I'm guessing my body is hanging on to extra water because I'm not drinking enough. Time to change that!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all very much!

I know you all have been there so you know how much the words of encouragement help.

JEY100, I have bookmarked that thread!

Mike
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 12:03
Registered Member

BF:

So to answer my own question:

Five weeks in and I'm down 18 pounds, or 30% of my 60 pound loss goal. Here's what I'm seeing and feeling. Hopefully, it can help others who struggle out of the box.
  • Weight loss has been consistent, almost eerily so. Three pounds per week, week-in, week out. Sadly, I know from my previous life that the first few pounds are the easiest and that I am closing in on "Frustration Cliff," which is where, in the past, I would have veered off onto "Eat Fewer Calories" path.
  • I eat a lot of eggs and cheese. I know that eggs aren't the demon food that the popular press likes to make them out to be, but it's hard to remember that after having had the same lesson drilled into you year after year. Cheese and Greek yogurt make up my dairy agenda. I know that there are some questions about the impact of dairy on weight loss, but that falls under the column of TBD for me.
  • The best thing that I could do for myself was skip Atkins induction and move right to Stage 2. Yes, the weight might come off more slowly, but it's an easier diet to maintain because it includes a lot of foods that I like which I don't get in Stage 1. Still, I'm finding myself bored with the variety.
  • Clothes are hanging off me. I'm in that awkward phase where my current clothes are too big but the next size lower are still too small.
  • And finally, I crossed under 200 pounds for the first time in about 15 years. 200 is just a number, but it still feels good.

So it works for now. I'm still a little nervous that I'm not eating enough calories and that weight will come back on later (like it always has under starvation diets), but I've also given up the "no-snacking" rule. I'm probably eating too many nuts (almonds and pistachio), so that's helping put on the calories.

The plus side is that this diet must be having an effect on my blood sugar, right? I started because too many of my friends were developing Type 2 diabetes, so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't on the list.

Mike
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 03:42

Why guess what your blood sugar is doing? Get a meter and start testing. If you test before and after eating the foods you worry about, like nut snacks and dairy, you will know what they do to your BG. Here's how to do it, simple and easy.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...ng-blood-sugar/

Welcome to Onederland
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Why guess what your blood sugar is doing? Get a meter and start testing. If you test before and after eating the foods you worry about, like nut snacks and dairy, you will know what they do to your BG. Here's how to do it, simple and easy.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...ng-blood-sugar/

Welcome to Onederland

Thanks! What a neat idea! I'm actually less-concerned about the nuts. Too much science on my side. The blood sugar level is, of course, likely a symptom of the bigger issue (being overweight and unhealthy).

My new mantra is "trust the science." It will help me deal with the ups that inevitably come with the downs. I don't know what next week will look like but, if I keep at it, I can have a pretty good idea what six months from now will look like.

Mike
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 03:14

As I have heard Dr Westman say numerous times the past seven years and repeated in his newest interview yesterday on "12 common mistakes" , nuts can be a slippery slope. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...46&postcount=79 it is hard to stick to one small handful, they cause cravings and next thing you know, you are eating way over both carb and calorie limits, which may raise BG.

As for being bored with variety...have you checked the recipes here and at DietDoctor? You don't have to sign up for meal plans, just do an advanced search for Keto whatever. They have a new series of "Keto Plates", no cooking. Buy the foods, arrange on plate. Done. Some foods I hadn't considered before, beautifully photographed.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...lates&st=recipe
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 13:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
As I have heard Dr Westman say numerous times the past seven years and repeated in his newest interview yesterday on "12 common mistakes" , nuts can be a slippery slope. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...46&postcount=79 it is hard to stick to one small handful, they cause cravings and next thing you know, you are eating way over both carb and calorie limits, which may raise BG.

As for being bored with variety...have you checked the recipes here and at DietDoctor? You don't have to sign up for meal plans, just do an advanced search for Keto whatever. They have a new series of "Keto Plates", no cooking. Buy the foods, arrange on plate. Done. Some foods I hadn't considered before, beautifully photographed.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...lates&st=recipe

Thanks! Both good ideas. I'm going to take a look at the recipes.

The nuts are actually one place where my OCD tendencies work in my favor. I'm very strict about measuring and don't do more than one serving of nuts per day. I generally stick to almonds and pistachios, which are on the higher side of carbs for nuts, but I stop at one serving.

Mike