Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 21:19

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

g35coupe
Quickly ... is that the Infiniti G35 coupe? That's a heck of a great car.

OK, now to get down to business
If you want to do Atkins and you don't have the book yet try these links to get going
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

and
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

It is most important not to starve yourself the way that you have to when doing the Low cal/Low fat diets. You need to make sure that you feed yourself enough fat (note that lowfat foods have more carbs ... don't use them) since you are switching your body's fuel from carbohydrates to fat. AND fat & protein really satisfies your stomach. You need to keep your metabolism up (give your body food) in order to burn your fat and calories.

Hang in there. Give it a shot by the book or as close to it as possible.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:51

Plan: High Protein
Stats: 155/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:I think it's 28%
Progress: 15%
Default just an update

Well, I got REALLY sick towards the end of the day yesterday - my stomache swelled up even more, I started running a fever and barely made it to the end of the day. I went home and ate a handfull of saltine crackers and went to bed. My husband woke me up around 1AM and said I was hot to the touch and took my temperature and low and behold I was running a low-grade fever. He gave me some Tylenol and I fell back to sleep. This morning I woke up and felt SOOOOOOO sick but I ate a little bowl-full of brussel sprouts (left over from the day before - I had cooked it but couldn't eat it) and came on in to work. I was SO bloated (from gas?) but right around lunch, it hit me that I had not . . . . . um . . . . gone to the restroom since SATURDAY (remember I went for the whole cheese/beef/porkskins/LC bars thing starting Friday) and right about the time that thought hit me so did the "urge". Well, THAT was the problem - I think maybe I'm lactose (or at least cheese) intolerant - I'm gonna stick with my veggie/salad and grilled meats meals for a couple of weeks (stalls or not).

I am gonna incorporate eggs into breakfast and salads/veggies into lunch but I'm gonna lay OFF pork skins, cheese and protein bars - I think that was my recipe for disaster. I bet if I weighed myself now I'd be back to my previous low weight. I think my impatience (with the stall for a couple of weeks) led me into trying to "control" the situation and "speed it up". Well, nothing like EXPERIENCE to take you down a couple of notches, right.

Oh, and for the person that asked, YES - it is the Infiniti G35 Coupe - 2003 Black with Leather and a scoop (and all wheel drive) - the SWEETEST ride I have ever had (and I've had a bunch - this car replaced a Z28SS and that replaced a 3000GTVR4). Get one as soon as you can - that's MY recommendation!!

And EVERYONE thanks for putting up with me. I guess I can't manipulate EVERYTHING to go my way (dangit). I'll weigh myself in the morning and check back in with progress.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 07:35
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Sounds like a fine plan... just up your fat.... good salad dressings and cook with good olive oil or butter.

It will help fill you up and help you lose.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi,

I wanted to help you out and not sound bossy. I just have one more thing to add that I haven't seen.
Your stats say "Atkins sorta." Well, is it Atkins or not? I mean this in a nice way to help. Here's why. You can't do Atkins, sorta. Do you have the book? I would suggest getting the book on audio cassette and in book form. Its meant to be read all the way. If you make the decision to do it after reading it, pay attention to his rules. I asked about the book because anyone who has read it knows that you don't use fat free nothing.
I'd start with doing induction by the rules and after 2 weeks, as Dr Atkins says, see if this is for you.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:00

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi!

Sorry I have to keep it short because the kids are getting unruly . . . but here are my (quick) observations. Assuming you are doing "real" Atkins: If your goal weight is 135 you should be eating 10-12 times your goal weight in cals each day. That's 1350-1620 cals. Your ratio of foods should be 65-70% fats, 5% carbs and 25-30% protein. Your cals are WAAYYYY too low, fat is low and protein in high, after subtracting fiber your carbs seem okay. I had the opposite problem recently, my fats and cals were way too high, protein low and carbs were right on track. I was slipping out of ketosis and my loss was slowing. This week, I just started paying attention to what I SHOULD be eating and my ketosis has returned and I've already lost 3 lbs this week. Before I THOUGHT I was doing what I should because I was remaining under 20 carbs. I'm so glad I started paying attention to the other stuff and realize now that it makes all the difference in the world.

I also agree with cutting out the snacks and eating more "pure" foods like the veggies and grilled meats. You can't really "sort of" do Atkins. Like others have said, you are either doing it or you are not. If you are not on the mark, you very well could be doing something that is not going to help but rather hurt you. You should pick a plan whether it be Atkins or something else and stick with that.

It sounds like your hectic lifestyle lately has taken it's toll as well. Take supplements and yes, it would be a good idea visit your doctor to make sure nothing else is wrong.

I wish the best of luck to you-- YOU CAN DO THIS!!! About Fitday-- on the home page there is a button that says "make my journal public." Click that and it will give you a link. You should be able to copy paste that in your signature. On your signature page type in MY FITDAY JOURNAL or something to that effect in the text box. Then highlight it and click the symbol at the top of the signature text box that looks like a globe with an infinity symbol on the bottom of it. A box will pop up that asks what you want your link to be called (that's where you put MY FITDAY JOURNAL) and hit OK. Then it will ask you for the link and that's where you paste the link that you got from the Fitday home page. Hope that made sense. Had to go fast-- the juvenile natives are getting restless!

Last edited by sunspine17 : Fri, Aug-29-03 at 07:01.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:48
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Hiya

I'd just like to second what a lot of people have said here:
"Get the book"!!!!
Seriously!
There's a lot of info in there, and a lot of motivational stuff too. AND there's sample recipes and eating plans!

Cheers
Steven
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 02:13

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up

Hi g35coupe..... You have gotten some wonderful advice here. May I please add that you should get Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it COVER TO COVER....then get his carb counter and REALLY go for it! You are doing several things wrong as previously pointed out. Let me just say this: Instead of pointing out the PROBLEMS with your eating, let's look at what you HAVE to do. OK...ready??

You cannot go more than 6 hours without eating (waking hours....nobody expects you to get up at 3am and make an omelette!)

You MUST drink a MINIMUM of 64 ounces of water...MORE is better.

You CANNOT restrict fat.......fat is what your body is using for fuel in place of sugar, essentially.

You MUST eat proteins, proteins, proteins...and that means meat!! Your body uses meat to extract amino acids which are the building blocks of muscle. OK....muscle weighs more than fat (which sometimes might make the scale look like you are gaining weight)....BUT, it is DENSER and BONUS OF ALL BONUSES...the more muscle you have, the more FAT you BURN! Amen to that!

Skip all the rubbish in your diet...an ocassional protein bar when you are on the go or a bag of 'rinds when you need some crunch are really ok. Nobody wants you hungry or dying for something sweet or crunchy. You have to eat WHOLE foolds...packed with nutrition to make you feel great and keep your body running. If you dump spent rocket fuel in a rocket bosster, will it fire? Nope...there's nothing left to burn! Take a can of tuna with you on the go......or some celery sticks with herbed cream cheese or a few cheese cubes. Nutriton and needed fats (minus carbs) in a baggie!

STOP WORRYING ABOUT FAT! Look at these boards.....people ARE losing weight!!! And they ARE eating FAT!

Watch yyour sodium intake. I don't know what an EAS bar has in it, but sodium will make you retain water. I know pork rinds have some...and so might that bacon you are eating.

Lose the diet sodas. Once you do, you'll happily drink water....add some lemon or lime juice and some Splenda for taste (poor mans lemon/lime ade....) You will find you want water all the time. In the beginning you will pee like a racehorse...soon your body will acclimate and it will stop making you go fourteen hundred times a day.

OK....there you go. Just some advice from me...also looking for the skinny me! Feel free to email me if you need a buddy. I am in the Netherlands (but am a former Southerner from South Carolina, born in Texas!). I'd love to help and be a buddy! ********

Last edited by Rosebud : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 05:50. Reason: Removal of email address.