Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Gabrielle's Success

View Article Article tools
  #16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

A lovely story, Gabrielle. Very honest and thought provoking, and many things you mentioned struck a cord. Please let us know about anything that helped or hindered you on your journey, any tips or advice?
Karen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 19:11
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Oh wow, thanks for all the responses to my "success" story. I appreciate you all taking the time to read it. Karen I'll swing by your journal in a sec to answer your question but oh yeah I have had missteps. I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't personally I gain a lot of strength in knowing that I have fought my carb cravings and not only survived but thrived. I'll swing by your journal and answer in more detail.

From Stylus' Journal

The things that helped are fairly easy to list. I never gave up. I reread the book every so often and I never strayed far from the support of this forum. Hurdles however, were a learning experience.

The first hurdle I had to leap over was kicking the LC treats habits. I had a hard time getting my head around the fact that after over a year of not counting I had to start counting the sugar alcohols as carbs if I wanted to loose the last 20 pounds.

Another hindrance was my fear of the gym. I stopped going because I felt awkward using the equipment with other people around. I eventually did have to incorporate more exercise (along with walking) by using exercise videos. I did return to the gym at the beginning of this year and I love it.

When I realized that calories do count for me I went to the extreme. I lowered my calories to 1200 calories for an extended time to loose the last 20 pounds. The problem with doing this is that eventually my metabolism learned to function very well off the lower calories. If I ate something remotely off plan or salty my weight would shoot up by 3 pounds or more. This had a paralyzing effect on me because I was extremely fearful of moving through the phases as Dr. A instructs.

My solution was to remove the final hindrance from the equation. The scale. I put my scale in the garage and I only weigh in once a week now. Before, I weighed in daily. The body can and will go up in weight when you start moving up the carb later. If you do it slowly and as Dr A instructs the water should disappear as it did with me. Seeing my body’s every fluctuation made me not WANT to do anything that would make me gain weight. I’m sure the fluctuations are still there. I just don’t see them now.

Last edited by GabrielleG : Sat, Mar-12-05 at 19:44.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 08:12
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Congratulations.. You look incredible. I've also found this.. Your a celebrity..

http://people.aol.com/people/web/yourdiet/
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 07:11
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

so much to relate to, and so much to be happy about! congratulations gabrielle - i already knew you'd reached goal but great to read your story...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 16:40

Stats: 201/183.5/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

You look awesome! Great job.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 16:46

Stats: 142/134/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

That is one of the best stories I have read!!! Congratulations to you. You look AWESOME!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 21:47
Gold Member

Thanks everyone for the great compliments and comments on my story. I think writing it was also part of the proccess. It's amazing how life affirming this whole process is.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 12:23
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wonderful Gabrielle, you look great and I know you feel just as great.

When we look back on all the years we wasted being out of shape and unhappy, it makes us wonder why we didn't smarten up sooner, but I guess some of us need to be at that do or die point before it clicks in, maybe after we finally hit the wall it helps us stay focused better on our healthier way of eating.

I try to find the reasons why I let myself get and stay so obese for the best years of my life and I really can't explain it to myself, I'm just glad that like you I finally realized that I was the only one who would be able to fix the problem and found a system that works and a place to come share my ups and downs with.

Bravo to you for having reached goal and beyond, patting you on the back and head and a great big hug for good measure.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 09:57

Plan: Low carb/Keto
Stats: 335/334/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Hi there Gabrielle,

Just thought i stop by and say hi...I have hit a wall and its been 2 weeks..As long as i dont gain thats ok.

So how's things going?

Any talk show offer's yet? lol

Later

Joe
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 11:15

Plan: custom
Stats: 247/238.5/155 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 9%

What an awesome story! I really liked the part about being kind to your self....that's something that I'm going to have to think on. You look amazing by the way
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 19:09
Gold Member

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

Nikotyme thats exactly what it was like getting to rock bottom or hitting a wall. It was almost like a natural thing to finally find a way that allowed me to loose and not make myself completely miserable in the process.

Joe the not moving for weeks on in was about norm for me. I had weeks were I lost at least 2 pounds a week and others when I lost absolutely nothing. I actually gained about 7 pounds in one week once only to have it gone the next week. I know you've heard this from me before but you gotta just keep on keeping on.

Wolfie isn't it almost shocking how hard it is TO be kind to ourselves? One of the things I noticed being larger was how invisible I was to the rest of the world. If I couldn't treat myself with kindness and respect how could I expect the same from a stranger?
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 14:04
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I just want to hug you!!! I can't believe i'm just getting around to reading this story.. your writing in itself is beautiful..and your openness and dedication and honesty.. I am very proud to say that I know you.. You are amazing Gabrielle..

Luv,
Rachelle
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 00:09
Gold Member

Thanks so much Rachelle, that means a lot to me. I still have trouble writing these days but I’ve been working at it and with a lot of hardwork and self editing I'm becoming proud of my work again. Still doing those darned three pages a day too

Gabrielle
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 13:59

Plan: CAD
Stats: 158/145/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Beautiful! You sure are a success! Thanks for sharing your story.

Susan
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Just stumbled onto your story.
What a great story! The dedication, the promise to yourself..
What an awesome job.

I believe that's the way to win this battle.. to start loving yourself.

Lynne