Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:31

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 235/230/145
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question TSP II and PCOS

Quick question: I haven't read TSP 2 -- my library doesn't have it and I don't want to buy another book if I don't need it!

Does TSP2 have anything to say specifically about PCOS (aka Stein-Levental syndrome)?

Should I read this book?

Thanks in advance,
Auditrix
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:25
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Auditrix:

SPII differs mostly in that she adds another dimension to optimal health: balancing the triad of the major hormones insulin, adrenaline and cortisol.

I believe she referred to PCOS more in her first book dealing with insulin resistance. What remains to be seen, however, is whether you have burned out adrenal glands, which isn't addressed in her first book. If your adrenal glands are burned out, you should read SPII, if they aren't, stick with SPI. Question is, how do you determine this without reading the book.

IF you are both insulin resistant and have adrenal fatigue, the biggest difference would be your protein requirements and your saturated fat intake. In her second book, you reduce saturated fat if you have a degenerative disease, severely burned out adrenal glands, or can't exercise consistently.

I don't know what to suggest. I believe her second book was written to override her first book, but people having varying opinions on SPI vs. SPII. If you are curious, you could always borrow it from your local library or even browse through it at the book store.

Good luck,
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:48

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%

Good Day:

I understand the confusion about the books and the question of buying them or not...for me, I bought the book and it has been helpful for me to understand a little bit more about some of my issues with my PCOS. Mainly it explains so much about the different hormones and how they work or why they don't.

I am following TSPI until some blood work comes back to help me clearly identify my issues. This is on the recommendation of my doctor. I am feeling great following TSPI and my doctor thought it was a good way to deal with the PCOS. Have you spoken to your doctor about this plan---you could find out the whole IR vs.IS and the whole adrenal bit with a few tests...you may have even had them recently.

Good Luck.