Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 15:23

Plan: SP
Stats: 168/159/150 Female 69 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Just started SP...and starving? Help!

Hi all,

Hoping for some friendly guidance. I started SP about a week and a half ago. It really seems to make sense, and I am hoping to lose some weight and also alleviate my migraine headaches and moderate acne, both of which I have had since childhood.

A little background: I'm 5'9"; moderately active and have health blood sugar levels and blood pressure. However, I have been carb-addicted since childhood, favoring chips, salty snacks, breads and sweets for years. What that got me is a fat midsection!

I don't drink much anymore, maybe once a week, if that, and I quit smoking 8 years ago, so I have that going for me. I drink one cup of coffee about every other day, with cream.

Good news: I have lost 3 lbs since starting SP about a week and a half ago.

Bad news: I'm STARVING! I mean, ravenous. I have been for about 3-4 days. I can't understand why. I am getting the reccomended carbs and such per meal and snack, but I am still hungry, even 20 min. or so after eating (!). Today I have eaten over 1200 cal, 48 g of fat, 61 g carbs, and nearly 100g of protein-- and I could eat double that if my hunger is any indicator. I still have one meal and snack to go, too! What am I doing wrong? I love the results so far- the weight loss (even though it's probably water), and my skin looks clearer. But I won't be able to keep this up if I am this hungry all the time.

Besides a cup of coffee, I've eaten only good carbs- non starchy veggies and whole grains- as well as a healthy amount of fats and lean protein.

Does anyone have any insight? I am bound and determined, on the eve of my 30th birthday, to make a lifestyle change for myself - for good. I'd like to know what I am doing wrong so I can stick to this wonderful program.

Sorry so long-winded, and any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 19:30
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Which book/plan are you following? All 3 books are so different, IMO, it helps me to know which one you're using.

Are the 61g of carbs just from the countable carbs? Hopefully so, and your non-starchy veggies are over above that count.

1200 is basically a low-calorie diet (all other commercial diet programs use that number) and DS stresses time and time again that this isn't a low-calorie diet. She says in one of her books (not sure which one, I have all 3, I want to say it's the 3rd one, which I find I have suddenly misplaced!) that fat intake can be 50% or MORE of your caloric intake. Your percentage of fat calories, based on 1200, is approx 36%. I think that if you ate a little more fat, your appetite might be more satiated. Your weight loss may slow, however.

It sounds like you're doing very well, just needing to find the right amount of food to control your appetite. Your weight loss right from the start probably means that you're healthier than you thought you were!

Last edited by ElleH : Wed, Aug-10-05 at 19:42.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 11:01

BF:

ElleH, thanks so much for your reply.

To answer your questions: I have read SPI and parts of 2, but not yet 3. My understanding is SPIII has much higher carb limits? 2 is a bit technical, and I haven't had any testing, so I would probably fall under the ISBOA program, correct?

The carb count I gave you was for countable carbs, yes. After my last meal and snack of the day I ended up with about 1700 cal and 51% were from fat, so I think I am OK there. I guess I will tinker with the program a bit to see what works but still keeps me feeling satiated.

Thanks again for your help!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 17:38

BF:
Default Still hungry. Now what?

OK, I went way up on calories this weekend, I even ate many, many carbs (birthday weekend= cake) and I felt mostly satisfied. Today I went back down on my carbs and I am starving again. Is this my body protesting? I am at 100 g of countable carbs today, roughly, and still hungry. Will the hunger go away as my body adjusts to lower carb amounts?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 13:28

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Your body is protesting, it can be hard. You need more fats to compensate for the cravings. The first couple of weeks are the hardest. Frankly I dont' count calories, her program isnt' about weight loss as much as it is about healing the body first and most low calorie diets are starving your body and that is not good for you to do. I like to get peanut butter, or macadamia nut butter and have that on celery when I'm hungry, add more good oils to your vegetables, be sure to get the snacks in and don't be afraid to eat more protien to get through this first couple of weeks. Your body is wanting you to eat the carbsd that you know is not good for you and will hang onto your addiction. I know she doesn't like pork rinds, but I found that even eating some of those helps on occassion. I suppose that comes from my reading other programs and not worrying so much about some of what she says. I prefer the 1st book myself, I find the 2nd and 3rd too complicated for me, I like things simple, but the info is good, and you may want to look at the 3rd because she does want beginners to go on a gluten free diet to be sure gluten allergies or sensitivities are not a problem. Eat more veggies, and drink lots of water. But once again the fats are the biggest key to curbing cravings.
Good luck
Tanya
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 12:33

BF:

Thanks, Tigersue, I appreciate the help.

Today has been better. I bought some whole, unsalted almonds and I had about a quarter cup for snack-- that seemed to curb the cravings a bit. I feel better today as far as my hunger level.

I may check out book 3 re: food allergies. Not sure how much gluten I am consuming, but I would be willing to go without if it would help.

Tomorrow I weigh myself, though I am not sure I will have lost any as I am expecting TOM. I'm sure that isn't helping with the hunger and carb cravings either.

Again, thank you.