Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Talking Day Two- Meat/Egg fast

I had decided to try the meat and egg fast for a few days to see what happens. Yesterday morning I was at 210.5 and this morning I weighed 208.5! Of course, this is where I was pre-TOM which ended Sunday. It usually takes me a week to rebound after TOM, I am not one of the lucky ones who gets a whoosh after TOM.
I also started doing the two mile Walk Away The Pounds exercise video again. So, I have done that for two days.
So, I will see how this works. I am not really clear on coffee consumption. Someone had said I could have it but I had to count the things I add to it like cream and splenda... I drink it black. But if I enter my two 14 oz cups I have a day on fitday that is 3 carbs. (and now a coworker just brought me a Irish Creame Swirl flavored coffee, how much is that?). So, along with the eggs I had for breakfast my carbs are full for the day.
I have also cut my calories. I probably should have done one thing at a time so I could see what gets the weight off.. exercise, fast, lower calories OR I started L-carnitine. Just as long as something moves I really don't care!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 07:56

Plan: Atkins HF/LP
Stats: 277/267/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Keep me posted on the fat fast and your weightloss. I have also been stuck. Its been over a week since I've seen any loss. I have been reading alot of the back post on the fat fast but haven't tried it yet. I just might give it a try if I don't lose soon.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 09:15

BF:

I think this is different from the Fat Fast. This is called an egg/meat fast. You eat only 5 carbs per day. Eat eggs and meat. So far I have not felt hungry. But it really sucks in the evening while watching tv. All they have on is food commercials. I was not hungry but for some reason I wanted popcorn with alot of butter. I just had more water and another diet rite and I survived. I
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 09:41
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I've heard of others doing the meat/egg fast. If I understand correctly, you limit yourself to ONLY Eggs and Meat. I wondered though, if you fry a burger, can you dip it in mayo? What do your normal daily menus look like while doing the egg/meat fast?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 09:50

BF:

This is how Iowan informed me how it works:

Quote:
I dont know if you would be interested in doing this, but it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I started the egg/meat fast & some people only do it for 3 days, but I have been doing it for over a week now & have lost weight every day but one in which I stayed the same. I know others who are doing this, and having GREAT success!! I will stay on this until I lose 10 more pounds. I am in deep ketosis, and have zero appetite. I can still have my diet drinks, but I drink SOO much water If you are desperate, try it, you have nothing to lose, but the weight. Here are the rules of the egg/meat fast

THE RULES:

-Meat (of any kind) and eggs only
-a little bit of mayo (for tuna salad, deviled eggs, etc.)
-just enough fat to cook with
-spices are okay for cooking
-coffee, diet soda are okay, but you have to count them in carb count.(remember to count 1 carb for each splenda packet, and if you use creamer.)
-NO MORE THAN 5 CARBS A DAY!!!!!!!!
VITAMINS!!

Thats it in a nut shell!! This puts you in really deep ketosis! And the pounds just melt off.

After you decide to go back off of it you have to add foods in gradually, like a small salad or something, and then go from there. Its not hard at all, and I have lost 6 pounds in a little over a week. I am on another LC board and we have an egg/meat challenge, and it has really helped keep me on track!!

If you decide to do this, let me know. I can guarantee results

This is what I am going off of. Although, as I said earlier I am not quite sure about the coffee thing. Is the coffee a "free" item or do you count that against carbs? I am counting it to be on the safe side. This morning when I checked I was not in Ketosis (just pale, pale pink) but this is normal for me right after TOM. If anyone has more info on the rules I would be open to suggestions. I am just desparate and ready to try anything. Lori
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 10:16
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Atkins doesn't advocate this egg/meat fast...his is the fat fast, but if it works for you, then by all means, do it! Just remember to add back your veggies slowly after doing it or you will gain it back...you should only do the egg/meat fast for a short period of time, too . I'm glad it is working for you well!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 10:35

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

I have tried both the Fat Fast and the Egg fast. Personally the egg fast worked better for me. I lost 8 lbs of water weight on the fat fast and gained it all back the next day and was kicked out of ketosis again. I then, two days later, tried the egg fast just to get back into Ketosis, I only lost 1 lb, but I have started losing weight again.... very slowly.... but I hadn't lost since I started low carbing. Don't be discouraged if you lose weight and gain it back after you go back to induction, most likely you will start losing better in a week or two. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 10:49

Stats: 222/195/160 Male 5 ' 7 "
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by llabonte
I just had more water and another diet rite and I survived.

Those diet-rites have got me through the evening hours when you want something sweet. So glad my Walmart started carrying the other flavors.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 11:04

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

You have to count the coffee.... you count everything and stop at 5 carbs.... but you can tweak it if you want to because in the end its what works for you.

I have lost 5.5 pounds in just 5 days doing it exactly as Iowan posted it to you.... I won't stay on it more than 2 weeks because I really love my veggies and I feel its really not healthy to go without them for long at all.... but I will still use this again when I am anxious to get past a certain weight.... right now I am overly anxious to get to Onederland...I am at 208.5 today so its not too far away!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 13:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

What about the fact your body will basically turn excess protien into glucose and store it as fat? That's how I understand it, anyway. I'd imagine if you kept track of your protien grams and knew how many your body actually NEEDS, it wouldn't happen. <shrug> Just curious.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 15:22

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

This so called meat/eg fast is just Stillman's diet. It's a well known plan which has been round as long if not longer than Atkins. It's very low carb and also low fat. I do it from time to time for about 5 days to break stalls. The protein is a powerful appetite suppressant and my calorie intake on Stillman's is always less than Atkins despite the fact that I eat as much as I like.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 23:12

Stats: 128/125/119 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

So what is the carb count for coffee???

How did you all add back your carbs after fasting? A couple one day and a couple more the next? Or did you go right back to the Induction amount of 20g/day?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 23:53

Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 100%

I will keep this in mind, i am so close to goal weight this might be the ticket to my success. Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 06:25

BF:
Default Starting Day 3 Meat/Egg fast

Well, I am starting my third day on the meat/egg fast and I am down another 1.5 pounds this morning(207 this a.m.) (Remember I started at 210.5 on Tuesday morning) But like I said I am just coming off of TOM and I am not getting too excited about the loss because I typically gain during TOM and it takes me a week to get rid of what I think is water weight. Albeit I will not complain that it is coming off faster this week than in a normal month. I do not feel any hunger on this fast. But according to the rules/instructions I should be in "deep' ketosis. Of course I may need to wait a day or two yet for that to happen. My strip is very pale to almost nuetral in color. BUT I do have the metalic taste so I do not really rely on the strips. Plus I did drop some weight. Will keep you updated (if you care, maybe I should keep this to myself). Lori
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 06:36

Plan: Atkins HF/LP
Stats: 277/267/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Keep me updated please. I have been looking into this myself the last few days. I think I may start this tomorrow if I don't see any weightloss by the time I weigh in tomorrow morning. I need to do something to get things moving again.

Are you following the Stillman one? What exactly are the rules? Am I allowed cheese? mayo? 0 carb dressing?