Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 04:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%
Default LoCarb - Quit Smoking Connection

I suspected that there was a connection between smoking and eating sugar/carbs. My cravings for cigarettes felt a LOT like food cravings. And smoking a cig would satisfy my hunger...Conversely, it's been SO much easier to quit smoking this time, and I'm convinced it's because I'm also lo-carbing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyway, I looked around and found this excerpt (credit to a previous thread on this forum) from Protein Power FAQ. (I'm on Atkins, but lo-carb is lo-carb) I thought y'all would find it interesting - and encouraging!

How do smoking and smoking cessation affect the diet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Smoking-particularly cigarette smoking-promotes the development of insulin resistance with all its attendant problems: obesity, lipid disturbances, atherosclerosis, hypertension, even diabetes. There is absolutely no reason to smoke, so why risk it? Many smokers fear weight gain when they stop, and indeed, stopping cigarette smoking causes a transient drop in metabolic drive (probably about 10%) which makes weight loss/maintenance a little tougher for a while. Coupling this diet with your efforts to stop smoking makes your job easier-through improved insulin sensitivity and better magnesium balance. We’ve had people from all over the country tell us that when they began eating their Protein Power Plan diet, their craving for cigarettes lessened and they were able to entertain notions of quitting smoking for the first time in their adult lives. Many readers and patients have been able to stop smoking and still continue to lose weight."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 08:00

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 206/200/119
BF:
Progress: 7%

Yes, I too have thoght it has helped quit smoking by eating low carb. I was so glad to find your post because I thought it was only me that thought this way. I think it's great!! I need all the help that I can get.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 19:00

Stats: 290/200/200 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Low carb - smoking connection

Hello, everyone!

I'm new to this group but not to low carb. I've been on the Atkins plan for nearly six years. The reason I'm writing is to share my experience about quitting smoking.

I've been a heavy smoker for 30+ years, with the exception of three times when I'd quit for a year or two.

I recently quit again, the first time since I've been on low carb. It has been very damn easy, much easier than it ever was before. I went from two packs a day to one for five days, then 1/2 pack per day for five days, then 5 cigarettes a day for four days, then quit completely. I had some withdrawal pains, some cravings, but it was nothing like my earlier "high-carb" experiences.

Has anyone else had a similar experinece? If so, I'd like to hear from you. TIA!

Dave (dcgreen7)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: sort of atkins
Stats: 320/308/230 Male 204cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Diabetics know the answer....

As a diabetic ex-smoker low carber I know that smoking a cigarette raises both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels (hence why my doc advised me to stop smoking when I was diagnosed, but hey, I decided to ignore him for another 2 years).

Therefore having a quick ciggie before my regular checkups was perhaps the most stupid thing to do as, hey! Whadya know? Doc, this guy's blood pressure and glucose levels are up again! (like, Duh.)

This time 'round I'm a non-smoker (quit 2 months) and finding that not only am I not craving cigarettes, but the carb cravings are also absurdly easy to deal with. I'm glad to see others are experiencing the same thing as I sometimes feel it's a little freakish, I mean, I should be craving like mad and feeling all self-righteous as I resist, screaming "No no no, get thee behind me satan!" - shouldn't I?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 17:24

Stats: 290/200/200 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Cyberskive,

I've known for a long time about smoking raising blood pressure, but only recently learned about its connection to blood sugar levels. It makes sense, though.

I've been off smoking for less than three weeks and so far I haven't gained any weight. I've got to be careful because my appetite has increased.

Dave (dcgreen7)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 07:34
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

{{{"No no no, get thee behind me satan!" - shouldn't I?}}}}

HAHAHAHAHAHA, ya kill me Cyberskive ....

Angel
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 13:59
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Today is my first day without a cigarette. However I am chewing the gum!!!

I think the gum is a lil strong for me and I'm trying to not depend on it unless I really want a cigarette!!!

I'm scared about the weight gain and wanting to eat more but reading this made me feel a lil better!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 15:57
Registered Member

Stats: 210/189/130 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm 23 and I've smoked the last 10 years of my life. On halloween, I decided that those cigarettes don't have to own me. I ended up tossing my last 3 cigarettes in the trash. (Oh... how I wanted to go back and get them, but I didn't.)

Now understand that I have been away from low carbing for a year, so what I ended up having to do was go on a 3 day fast. (I did this to put a bit of disipline back in me.)

Today, I went to the store an bought a lot of meat, a block of cheese and a case of bottled water.

I figure, if I'm not going to die from smoking than I shouldn't die from being fat either.

By the way... my cigarette cravings are very reasonable compared to what I was expecting.

In addition, my feelings about going back to a low carb lifestyle, are much more strongly commited.

I even bought a george foreman grill for work, so I can cook in the break room (a nice steak) rather than running outside for 2-3 cigarettes.

Wish me luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/149/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 81%

That's funny, I always wondered why it was so easy to quit smoking this time round.... I quit smoking last march, and went on Atkins in April because I had gained about 10 lbs in that month. Ever since low carbing i havent even remotely desired a smoke. Even when drinking. Lucky me...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 15:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

I had this reduced craving thing with alcohol first. When I started low-carbing I found that I just didn't want wine (which is all i've ever drunk) as much anymore. I think it is a blood sugar thing. Low carb = lower blood suger = less craving for sugar = less craving for alcohol. So now that I've quit smoking, although it's not been what I'd call extremely easy, it does seem to be a bit better than when I'd tried to quit before low carb WOE. I hope that continues. I have found that my appetite when at home has increased and I've been a bit slack on that the last 4 days, I'm ready to reel myself back in and don't think it will be that difficult. I've developed a new and strange craving for chocolate, but I'm now putting the kibosh on that after today. So all in all, I'd say it's been better all the way 'round this time. Maybe I'm a bit more resolute now than before as well. As they say, "it's all in the timing of it."
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 15:58

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

I find this very interesting. I have ben lc almost 3 weeks now and I have noticed my cigy cravings decreasing. Before if I was hungry and smoked I would not be hungry anymore. If I couldnt smoke I would eat. I guess they do have the same satisfaction. My next goal after loosing some weight was to quit smoking. I am concerned about slowing my loss but now I dont know. This sure gives me something to think about now. Thanks for the post.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 01:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wondered if I were the only one; glad to know that we have all been blessed "with-out" sugar and nicotine due to our WOE. I smoked three and four packs a day for forty years, but was able to just throw them away after I had been eating this way for about six months. Cravings--yes, but not too bad; actually it was harder for me to quit the sugar, and the "sugar turning into food" than the cigs.

Great job everybody, keep it going.