Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 10:14

Plan: Atkins & OMAD
Stats: 267/263.2/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Amazing Waffles - Unbelievably Low Carb

I have had this recipe for so many years I forget where I got it...but it's amazing.

Don't be turned off by the pork rinds. You CANNOT tell that's what's in them.

Waffles 1-serving....(2 servings in parentheses)

2 large eggs (4)
1 Tbls. heavy cream (2)
1 Tbls. water (2)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (1)
1 Pkt. Splenda (2)
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon (1/4)
1 Tbls. melted butter (2)
1 to 1-1/2 ounces (measured by weight) of crushed plain flavor pork rinds (2 or 3)

I used my food processor to get the pork rinds down to a fine, almost powdery consistency.

Beat the eggs then add the cream, water, and vanilla extract and beat some more. Mix the Splenda with the cinnamon and then sprinkle on the eggs. (Mixing the cinnamon with the Splenda before adding to the eggs helps to keep the cinnamon from clumping up as much.) When well blended mix in the ground pork rinds.

Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes until it thickens. Then stir and check the consistency. It should be quite thick, but not too thick to spoon easily. If too thick, add a little water. If too thin, add a little bit more pork rinds. Just before you're ready to put into waffle iron, stir in the melted butter.

I have a "Belgian Waffle" baker and it makes two waffles at a time -- each about 4X4 inches. I brushed the top and bottom of the waffle baker with melted butter, then I spooned about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of batter on each side of the bottom half of the baker and used a spoon to spread the batter out a little. Then I closed the top of the waffle baker. It took about 5 or 6 minutes to bake the two waffles. With the recipe doubled, I had enough batter to make a total of four waffles, each about 4X4 inches.

If you have a "big" waffle iron, you will probably make just two with the doubled amount of batter. These waffles firmed up and browned just like "real" waffles.

I served them with sugar free maple syrup and more butter (of course!)

With a couple of strips of bacon, this is an awesome breakfast -- at about 2-1/2 carbs per waffle - including the syrup! Without the syrup (mine has about 4 carbs per 1/4 cup), the carb count would be about 1-1/2 carbs per waffle.

If any of you live in the south and have ever eaten at the Waffle House restaurant, they have a specialty pecan waffle. I think this recipe would be absolutely incredible with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans added to the batter. And the pecans would only add about 1-1/2 effective carbs to each waffle. Still quite a carb bargain!

To make pancakes, just add more water a little at a time after it rests until you have the consistency for pancakes.

One Serving: Fat: 41g; Carbs: 3g; Protein: 39g
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-18, 13:53

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Judy, what a fancy recipe. I'm sure they'd be a hit!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/215/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I had to try this....yup, you got a winner! Although I need to find a better sugar free syrup, mine is 8 per 1/4 cup, and I did splurge with a TBS of the syrup for 2 carbs, I think it needed it. But I think I could even pawn these off to my hubby and he would not even know it was made with pork rinds!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I agree that we shouldn't be at all afraid of pork rinds.

That being said, I have tried to love them, but in all honesty I love potato chips way, way more than pork rinds.

Pork rinds just don't do it for me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 18:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
I agree that we shouldn't be at all afraid of pork rinds.

That being said, I have tried to love them, but in all honesty I love potato chips way, way more than pork rinds.

Pork rinds just don't do it for me.

Same here - they're don't taste very good, they've got an odd texture, and they're messy - all those tiny crumbs! Potato chips & popcorn were my binge foods - nothing else is as good as they are. When I'm on my deathbed, I hope I can eat, because I'll be chowing down on chips, popcorn, & lemon meringue pie!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 19:44

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisfox-2
I have had this recipe for so many years I forget where I got it...but it's amazing.

Don't be turned off by the pork rinds. You CANNOT tell that's what's in them.

Waffles 1-serving....(2 servings in parentheses)

2 large eggs (4)
1 Tbls. heavy cream (2)
1 Tbls. water (2)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (1)
1 Pkt. Splenda (2)
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon (1/4)
1 Tbls. melted butter (2)
1 to 1-1/2 ounces (measured by weight) of crushed plain flavor pork rinds (2 or 3)

I used my food processor to get the pork rinds down to a fine, almost powdery consistency.

Beat the eggs then add the cream, water, and vanilla extract and beat some more. Mix the Splenda with the cinnamon and then sprinkle on the eggs. (Mixing the cinnamon with the Splenda before adding to the eggs helps to keep the cinnamon from clumping up as much.) When well blended mix in the ground pork rinds.

Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes until it thickens. Then stir and check the consistency. It should be quite thick, but not too thick to spoon easily. If too thick, add a little water. If too thin, add a little bit more pork rinds. Just before you're ready to put into waffle iron, stir in the melted butter.

I have a "Belgian Waffle" baker and it makes two waffles at a time -- each about 4X4 inches. I brushed the top and bottom of the waffle baker with melted butter, then I spooned about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of batter on each side of the bottom half of the baker and used a spoon to spread the batter out a little. Then I closed the top of the waffle baker. It took about 5 or 6 minutes to bake the two waffles. With the recipe doubled, I had enough batter to make a total of four waffles, each about 4X4 inches.

If you have a "big" waffle iron, you will probably make just two with the doubled amount of batter. These waffles firmed up and browned just like "real" waffles.

I served them with sugar free maple syrup and more butter (of course!)

With a couple of strips of bacon, this is an awesome breakfast -- at about 2-1/2 carbs per waffle - including the syrup! Without the syrup (mine has about 4 carbs per 1/4 cup), the carb count would be about 1-1/2 carbs per waffle.

If any of you live in the south and have ever eaten at the Waffle House restaurant, they have a specialty pecan waffle. I think this recipe would be absolutely incredible with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans added to the batter. And the pecans would only add about 1-1/2 effective carbs to each waffle. Still quite a carb bargain!

To make pancakes, just add more water a little at a time after it rests until you have the consistency for pancakes.

One Serving: Fat: 41g; Carbs: 3g; Protein: 39g

I think this is the original recipe, by Norma-June.