Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Unhappy Allergy Attacks and Hunger...

I have some REALLY nasty allergies and its that time of the year.

When I have a really bad allergy attack Ive always noticed that I have the serious urge to consume any type of food I can get my hands on. Ive never wondered why but I was wondering if anyone has the same thing happen???? This is making it very hard for me to stay limited on my carbs... my body is telling me to eat eat eat... and I cant satisfy it with anything I have redily available. Obviously I cant stop and cook a steak or eat a steak everytime I have an allergy attack cause they are pretty often.

Another thing is Im trying not to take any medication while Im on Atkins cause I have a bad feeling itll stall me.. but today I HAD to get something to help. I went and bought some Claritin and I hope it doesnt stall me.

The only thing I can think of is since it takes so much energy when you have an allergy attack that my body is immediately trying to compensate for that loss.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 15:23
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi

Hi, I don't have air born allergies, I have food allergies and if I eat alittle of that allergy I eat a whole lot of that food. Ex. I'm allergic to wheat. If I eat a piece of bread suddenly I binge on the bread!
I think you found a trigger to your eating. So when you are suffering from allergies you need to watch your eating. I know its tough and at times it does feel unfair.
Its good you observed it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 15:25

Stats: 247/206/135
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi -

I have terrible asthma and allergies, so I feel your pain! I have not noticed an increase in my appetite, though...
I still take my meds, and have not noticed a stall because of them - YMMV, but if you're suffering, take the meds and see what happens.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I have very mild allergies and have taken Advair and Flonase the entire time I've been doing Atkins, so I don't know if it has stalled me at all. I would try to take your medicine, it may or may not stall you, but at least you will not have the strong cravings you've been having.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:59

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Talking those pesky allergies...

I also have used Claritin for years - (am bummed that I pay more now OTC than I did when I had the script...) Lately I have 'gone off' them because I have felt so good - and taking so many other vitamins and supplements every day. I could tell today that 'things are moving into springtime mode' though so will be taking the Claritin again tomorrow.

I say go for the relief! Being aware of the trigger point of the allergies is half the battle!! I always want to sleep, sleep, sleep with mine.

Jan
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 19:51

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

I hope this Claritin starts working soon. I took it this morning and its has barely worked.. I mean almost nonexistant. I vaguely remember having to take it for a couple days before it actually took full effect.

Ive kinda workd out a deal with myself.. I bought a jar of macadamia nuts and everytime I get hungry I snack on those. The whole jar is only a total of 10 net carbs so if I keep myself satisfied with these on my bad allergy days I think Ill be ok.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-17, 06:34

Plan: N/a
Stats: 135/128/128 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress:

I know this is many years since you've posted this, but I have the exact same thing. Ever since I was little, when the ragweed was out etc. I'd get a really bad allergy attack and then just have to eat! I asked a doctor friend and she couldn't guess why. Now I live in Japan and when the cedar pollen flies I have terrible trouble. Never fails, I'm eating anything I can get ahold of; as many different flavors as possible too. I'd love to know why this happens.