Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/161/130 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Cool Greetings from Michigan!

Hi Everyone!

I've been doing the low-carb diet since mid-June and it's going pretty well! Although, I did take a few days off when I went to Vegas and got hitched a few weekends ago.

I'm looking forward to trying the pork rind french toast and the radish hashbrowns for dinner tonight. My local GNC carries a lot of good products like low carb tortillas, bagels, mini cheesecakes, hot dogs buns, etc, so it's going pretty well. I have a few fellow low carbers at work, so it's easy to get suppot there too... but you guys seem to have a lot of great tips, recipes, support, etc. I'm very excited!!

One of my challenges is that I am married to a vegetarian (although he eats fish and cheese) who has high cholesterol. Any tips for helping me explain how eating eggs and following low carb is good are appreciated!

I'm also an active member/moderator at www.datingadviceforums.com , so if anyone is in need of a mature message board for that kind of stuff, come on by!

Jules
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:37

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Jeepgirl!

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you are doing great on Atkins already!

Congratulations on your marriage! The first year is always fun!

Thanks for the info on GNC. I thought they just had pills there but maybe I will actually have to check it out!

I wanted to reply to your post because my hubby and I are kind of eating opposites a little like you and yours. I am a vegetarian low carber and (I won him over to the low carbing but he did not use to!) and he is a meat eater. We have most meals together everyday. I would say about 5 days of the week we have vegetarian low carb meals and the other 2 days we both cook our own meals so he can eat his chicken.

To be honest, it is probably healthier for your husband to become a low carber because as a vegetarian before low carbing I ate lots of carbs and not that much protein. Now, I eat protein daily and actually eat more veggies than before. It would probably be a very healthy way for him to eat.

Some tips on eggs are just finding something intersting. I used to never eat eggs was disgusted by them, when I started I had to force myself to eat them but now it is getting easier. This deviled egg recipe that really helps me is using mayo, vinegar (just a touch) , 2 packets of splenda, a thing of frozen spinach, and putting that in eggs. That was so tasty that really got me to eat more of them.

Also let me post a link to a delicious crepe recipe that is so good you hardly know that there are eggs in there but there are. The crepe recipe can be altered easily to have many different types of fillings.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-b...s+and+Breakfast

Some things that my hubby and I do that can easily be for vegetarian or meat eaters are:

-sausages (he can have veggie ones - boca is really good for sausages) with some vegetable side dish.
-seven layer salad and he makes bacon to crumble on top of his and I use veggie bacon or leave it plain
-mock mashed potatoes yours with chicken or whatever and his with veggie pattie
- taco salads yours with beef

for vegetarian ideas you can always visit the vegetarian forum or look in my journal I always list some recipe or what I eat there.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/161/130 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I think the main thing that I am having problems understanding (which the Atkins book didn't really explain well) has to do with cholesterol and high cholesterol problems. I don't know enough about the human body systems to explain to him why this works.

Him: How can I eat eggs, "fake" bacon, and cheese and watch my cholesterol go down?
Me: I don't know. Let me find out.

Oh, and as far as the GNC w/ the breads/bagels/ tortillas etc. Some franchisees will order that stuff in addition to their regular offerings. Mine also carries the full Atkins line, most of the Keto line, and a lot of EAS bars/drinks. Plus, they have a few kinds of pasta, pasta sauces, bread machine mixes, margarita mixes, etc. Your mileage may vary as far as the offerings -- especially if it is one of the corporate owned stores apparently.

I think this forum will help keep me on the straight and narrow. It's nice to have support! Just reading the posts helps! Now I need to think about exercising more....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:01

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi again!

I guess I misunderstood your post and I don't know everything technical behind it either.

here's a link to the cholesterol thread of the forum; they should be able to answer your questions there:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...prune=1000&f=48
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 19:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/176/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Jeepgirl,
I'm from northern Michigan, and we have a couple GNC's here, but ours just carry the dry goods, wish they carried what yours does, especially with the gold card discount, I have to go to the health food store for the ice cream, tortillas, etc., really pricey!

Good Luck!