Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 23:33

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 375/361/225 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Hello Low Carber!

Hello everyone,

I知 a member of the low carb friends forum but recently found out that it may be shutting down soon and saw a link for this forum posted and thought I壇 give it a shot.

Wayyy back in 2012 I was in the process of a divorce after an unhealthy marriage led me to eating my pain away to the tune of weighing 350lbs. My mother had turned me on to a converted Atkins plan that basically kept me on the induction phase non-stop. We started the first week of August, 2012 and by the end of October I weighed 275lbs. Over the course of those three months (with a few cheat days) I壇 managed to lose 75lbs.

I continued my journey into the holidays but did have more cheat days than I should have. By February of 2013 I壇 managed to drop down to 239lbs (111lbs lost) which I thought was pretty damn good for 7 months. At this point I met my wife, things went downhill from that point.

I stopped doing low carb, I ended up getting re-married, I had a child, my mother (whom meant the world to me) died, I had a second child, and now I知 sitting here right back at 350lbs (340lbs actually, I致e been back on the diet for 7 days and am down 10lbs! (Woo!)

I decided to get back into the forums for possible support. My wife was obese at one point herself and had gastric bypass surgery. These days she eats cookies, cakes, and pies but in smaller portions and it makes it incredibly difficult to concentrate sometimes.

I do have a goal however, I知 going to try my best to drop 150lbs in a calendar year so that I can join the Air Force before I知 too old. Could it happen? Maybe. Is it unsafe/unhealthy? Probably. I知 still going to try though and hopefully I can record it here.

I知 looking forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully build some solid relationships.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 00:04

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sorry about the loss of your mother but she was right.
Low carb is not unhealthy. It's basically meat and vegetables.
What's unhealthy is tons of sugar that your wife is eating. Do you know if she is diabetic?
There are several men on here who have lost just as much and you can learn a lot from them as you go along.
Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 00:36

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 375/361/225 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What's unhealthy is tons of sugar that your wife is eating. Do you know if she is diabetic?

No, she痴 not diabetic, she just loves junk food. 😂

Thanks for the welcome.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 00:55

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, FLRyan. Welcome! I wish you good health and success.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 05:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Ryan
You have found a great forum..look around at all the topics, maybe join a buddy group or check the Triple Digits club.
As for the plan your Mom suggested back when, that was not really "converted" it was what Dr Atkins would use in his clinic when patients had large amounts of weight to lose. When Dr Westman studied the Atkins records, he modeled his clinical trial on the same, and still uses it. No phases, no adding back nuts or more cheese (only 4 Oz or less), strict limits on cream, mayo (2 T) and some other items. It works, it's safe, patients have been doing it for years.
All the best,
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 09:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Sounds pretty ambitious but plausible, if you respond early on like last time, you're halfway there in three months, only looking to lose 8 pounds a month the next nine month. Probably better if you didn't have to rush things so much, but then again, having a well-defined goal can be pretty motivating.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-18, 09:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome to the forum. I wish you the best at reaching your goals. Stick to eating low carb and I have no doubts that you will. It took me a few decades to learn that lesson. When I eat low carb I lose weight or otherwise remain at a healthy weight. When I eat the SAD, or even a healthier version of a high carb diet I gain... I gain fast. Low carb is the only solution for me and I've now done it long enough for it to feel like my norm. I never got this from on again/off again dieting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRyan23
I do have a goal however, I知 going to try my best to drop 150lbs in a calendar year so that I can join the Air Force before I知 too old. Could it happen? Maybe. Is it unsafe/unhealthy? Probably. I知 still going to try though and hopefully I can record it here.

I lost 143 pounds my first year. Unsafe/unhealthy? I think being a 440 pound diabetic is what was unsafe and unhealthy. Eating right for my body set things straight in a hurry, that's all.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-18, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Hi and welcome to the forum.
If you do the legwork, and you journal, there is a ton of support here.
"strength in numbers."
we're here if you need us.

again, welcome.