Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 10:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129/125 Female almost 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 60%
Default Any LC backpackers out there ?

Backpacking is a hobby of mine, just one I haven't done since I had my 2.5 year old daugther. In a little over a month, we will be taking her on her first "backpacking" trip (backpack in 4 miles to a cabin where we will stay for 2 nights, day-hiking otherwise).

I'm just curious if there are any others out there who backpack and try to stay low-carb while on a trip ? My plan for the trip is to stay as low carb as is possible, without a fridge. I am bringing some jerky and hard-boiled eggs and some good nut mixes for trail mix. I'm just looking for some other ideas for meals...you can't make me eat macaroni and cheese!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Foil packs of tuna, chicken, and salmon. Small cans of salmon, tuna, etc., if you can handle the weight, or just bring enough for the first night.

Beef jerky if you can handle the small amounts of carbs. (Check labels, some are carbier than others.)

Cooked chicken pieces/steak pieces for the first or second nights. It should keep fine if you bury it down in your pack. I've done this.

Cook up a mess of bacon, wrap it in foil and then in plastic wrap, and it'll keep for a couple of days as well.

There are some websites selling very high-quality pemmican (jerky) that is better than the commercial Slim Jim crap. Google "pemmican" for websites selling the high quality stuff. You could bring nothing else and you would literally be able to survive on this stuff the way Steffanson did with the Inuit. I did a 4-day out-and-back backpacking trip and brought pemmican, and some chicken legs for the first night, and that's all we ate.

Taper carb intake to zero before the trip. Once you are into total fat-burning and zero carb, you'd be amazed how powered you will be even on much lower calories.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129/125 Female almost 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Thanks HairOnFire, those are great tips I will be sure to put to use!