Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:26
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 273/260/225
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question 61% calories from fat?

Am I doing this right? My BG levels are much improved but I welcome some feedback on the below. This is a 2 week average, and I have been low carbing for about 3 weeks, Haven't lost much weight though...However I look at weight loss as a side effect...Diabetes under control is my #1 priority,,,

These numbers are from FitDay, where I report honestly and daily every gram of whatever goes into my piehole....

http://www.fitday.com./WebFit/Publi...Owner=SCOTTINNH

When I compare this to the 3000-4000 calories I used to take daily in and who know how many carbs...this seems drastic...

I am a 50 year old man with a sedendary job, 270 lbs at just under 6 feet....

Average Calories 1615c
source grams cals %total
Fat: 104grams 935 kalories 61%
Sat: 30g 269k 17%
Poly: 4g 38k 2%
Mono: 12g 106k 7%
Carbs: 29g 102k 7%
Fiber: 4g 0k 0%
Protein: 121g 486k 31%
Alcohol: 3g 21k 1%
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 22:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Scott! Congratulations on realizing that fat loss is a happy side effect!

I can't pretend to be a Dr. Bernstein expert, but what I see from your menus is a lack of vegetables. A lot of your carbs seem to be coming from cheese and processed foods. You will be much better off if you keep it fresh as possible. Are you drinking lots of water?

Overall, your doing just fine! Just a few minor adjustments.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 01:41

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Scott,
Dr.Bernstein doesn't recommend fruit at all. I'd rethink the bread and bagels for now, and cut back some on the cheese too. I think, just to get you started out real good, go more for the Induction Level of the Atkins diet (20 grams/day or less). I had to stay on that really low level for about 4 months before my BG levels began to really respond. I had to go back to Induction Level for a while after I came off the Glucotrol (sulfonylurea like Glyburide), but only for about a month. The more severe your insulin resistance, the longer it's gonna take. Also when you exercise test your BG before you begin, then take it again 30 mins. after you've stopped to see what affect it had on you. We have to regulate exercise just as much as we regulate our food. Too much or too little will make BG levels jump. We gotta do the '3 bears' thing--get it *just* right!
Be careful of the cheese. Cheese does NOT have zero carbs as I'm seeing posted on your Fitday. On average cheese has 1 gm/carb per ounce--more if it's a blended cheese. Make your own chili and use black soybeans instead of any other kind of bean. Black soybeans have 1/3 the carbs of other beans. Use your own seasonings, or buy the mixes where you can adjust the seasonings to your own taste. Throw away the cornstarch packet they usually contain. (2-Alarm; 4-Alarm; and Carroll Shelby's Chili Seasoning are the best ones IMO)
I thought Ultra beer had 2.5 gms per serving, not zero.....?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 07:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good advice above and I agree.
Until you get your blood sugars better controlled, cut out the fruit, breads, bagels and sweet treats. Once you get better control, you can start experimenting by adding them back in one at a time to see how they affect your blood sugars. Once you add them back in, don't just test at two hours after; test at 30 minutes, 1 hour and 2 hours. Sometimes your blood sugar can be back to normal after two hours, but have spiked higher than it should before that time. Your goal should not only be normal fasting and 2 hour readings, but a fairly stable blood sugar all the time (no big spikes after eating!).
Stick with fresh meats (I noticed you're eating a lot of processed meats), eggs and veggies with butter, cream (a few ounces a day), cheese (also a few ounces a day) and healthy fats such as olive oil and mayonnaise. I didn't even add fruit until I was about 5 months into low carbing and then only berries and melons in very small amounts.
Watch the alcohol. Even low carb alcohol can play havoc on your blood sugars (it's the alcohol that does it, not the carbs).
I think your daily carb count may be higher than you think because a few entries listed 0 carbs when there were at least one and a few others looked lower than they should be; for good control (at least at first), try to stay at 30 grams per day or less and go for less carbs in the morning than at the other two meals. In many people, the body doesn't handle carbs nearly as well in the morning as it does the rest of the day, so I keep my morning meal to 6 grams and have 12 at lunch and dinner max.
I think you'll see better control with a bit of tweaking. Keep at it!