Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default COPD Anyone?

I have been diagnosed with COPD about 10 months ago. It was like someone flipped a switch and I was sick. Coughing, hacking up stuff, etc. I was treated for bronchitis but it worsened and I began having shortness of breath...doctor sent me to a pulmonologist who diagnosed me with copd. I am now on a bunch of medications, inhalers, etc., and most recently was put on oxygen 24/7 because of extreme shortness of breath when walking or moving. The oxygen helped that, but here I am. I am supposed to exercise but find it difficult because of the oxygen concentrator I must carry for my breathing.

So, my question is.......does anyone on this board have copd? Are you on oxygen and are you exercising? Have you been able to keep up your diet?

I am doing OK with weight loss so far but know I need to be exercising. Would love to hear from others who have copd too.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I (and the doctors) thought I had bronchitis once that was followed by a chronic cough. Then they thought it was maybe asthma. Then I started hacking up stuff while I slept and it was definitely GERD.

But it turned out all of the above was being caused by sleep apnea, and once I got on CPAP it was all cured overnight.

I'm not too familiar with COPD though. But it sounds like some of the symptoms were similar to what I had.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 18:53

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi Billy,
Yes, the symptoms are similar except that they don't go away. I am on oxygen at night too, and it really helps me sleep better. Glad yours was cured by the CPAP....wish mine would go away, but they say this is permanent. If you get copd you just try to manage it.