Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This is a very very good site to understand lectins, why they should be reduced in our diets, why some people must eleminate them, and comprehensive colored charts offering substitute foods.

https://drjockers.com/avoid-lectins-diet/

Quote:
I enjoy sprouted nuts, seeds and legumes on occasion. Chia, flax and hemp are some of my favorite and also very low in overall lectins and their nutritional benefits (essential fats, fiber, anti-oxidants and complete protein) outweigh any small amount of lectin I take in from them. I do not eat nuts very often.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:21

BF:

THis is from dr jockers and might explain some of the IBS, and other GI issues. I also think of diverticulitis but see anyone making this connection, so my summation may be invalid.

Quote:
Lectins and Chronic Inflammation:
The body also creates an immune response to the lectin molecules as it tags them as antigens or foreign particles that could be harmful. This leads to an auto-immune reaction where the immune system will attack tissues that lectins attach (5). Once this sensitization of the immune system takes place the body will also become highly inflamed when one consumes foods containing high amounts of lectins.

Wheat contains a lectin called wheat germ agglutin or WGA. Many individuals have a high level of sensitivity to WGA and this is often mistaken as a gluten sensitivity (8). Lectins inhibit nerve growth factor which affects the ability of the nerves to heal and repair effectively. Many individuals never test positive for a gluten allergen yet they have WGA sensitivity that is causing severe inflammatory problems in their body.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:23

BF:

A low carb diet by virtue of the elimination of grains and the reduction of nuts, and controlled amounts of carbs is pretty much a lectin free diet, or at least MUCH reduced.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 15:31

BF:

Dr bergman talks about NSAIDs damaging the small intestines---and his take on the causes of Lupus --- and much more--in Bergman fashion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCTm3DnUQ0
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 15:36

BF:

This is the best listing of the Bredesen ReCode protocol--this is geared toward manging ALZHEIMERS ( AD) .
https://mybiohack.com/blog/dale-bre...alzheimers-mend
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 19:39

BF:

EMF's

and how food is affected
https://mybiohack.com/blog/emfs
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 19:46

BF:

to review in detail--Dr bredesen interviewd by dr mercola-- technical biochemistry details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQyxWP-S2s
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

I can't process all this info about lectins. For now, I have to focus on eating low-carb/keto. If I start reading about lectins, I feel I could derail my focus on low-carb.

That said, I had a poultry allergy when younger and so never ate poultry. That "allergy," or whatever it was, subsided, but I then became unable to eat lima beans. I don't seem to have problems that I know of digesting other beans. Are these problems because of lectins/blood type?

I am sad to hear about peanut /peanut oil being bad for arteries. ... If you Google, you will find many articles saying it helps the heart .... and not all links are connected with the peanut industry. ... I feel I don't have time to look into all this now.

Thank you for putting on this info, but for right now I just have to focus on low-carb. Getting junk food out of my life would be a major accomplishment!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 21:46

BF:

dr josh axe--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8zeh8E6P7A

green leafy
asparagus
berries
bonebroth
cruciferous-- only cooked, why?
carrots
shitake and all mushrooms
avocado and coconut---flax, best fats. potassium and mgnesium
salmon-fat soluable antioxideant, omega 3; herring, macheral.
parsely and cilantro-- hi potassium, chlorophyll, balance the pH;

keto diet=, consumed high fat moderate protein low carbs; limit to 3 months; cancer treatment

celery, carrot, romain or cabbage, ginger tumeric lemon parlsy ciantro spinach.-- smoothie that mom used to cure cancer

top herbs
1. tumeric-- 2 compounds tumerone stem cell promotion and cell regeneration; curcurmin cancer cell killer. ( MY NOTE-combine with black pepper)

2. green tea -- eecg; macha brand mentioned 3x the components

3.franchensence and mer--topically, skin.

clove and cinnamon

4.reishi mushrooms lions mane, cortasep spelling??

5.vit D3 5000 units ad get into the sun

6.proteolytic: ginger, papaya, pineapple empty stomach, dec inflammation and breakdown unhealthy cells, natto

7. garlic-kills cancer cells and fungi

8, pro biotics--immune system ; build up; kimchee and natto, supplement
9 algae-- spirleena, and korella,

10. ginger--two compunds, as a tea,

get enough sleep, dec stress

extras--- mom had cancer 20 years ago and dr axe became a doctor because of mom.

Food is medicine.

lemon and citis
rasberries
pomegranic
eggplant mixed with rasp
coconut
flax
no grains
nogmo
dec stress !!!!
spiritual uplifting ie watch comedies
practise gratefulness
cannabis-- for cancer treatment, helps reduce anxiety ; not for recreational use but to dec stress.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 09:48

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL2RYilUms

Interview with dr Ben Bikman---a very detailed discussion of white fat and brown fat on our bodies, and the almighty insulin the dictator, and guess what food he chose if only ONE food when on a desert island????

Even if body is fed ketones, in the presence of insulin, it is stored as fat.

He can access all the closed journals that publish studies but limit access to other researchers. He scours for updates on carbs, IR etc, and get them out on utube.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 10:14

BF:

Dr BIkman's lecture for a low carb audience--he shares his insight into insulin and brown fat, in another format that might help with understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t1JN0RgvO4
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 14:05

BF:

Trying to understand how much lectins are a problem----nuts are flour substitution, a staple for LCers.

https://www.caltonnutrition.com/nuts/

3 problems with lectins. Nuts also contain other antinutrient compounds: oxalic acid, tanins, oxalic acid, trypsin inhibitors.

Quote:

“Lectins are a plant’s most powerful weapon. Believe it or not, plants don’t really want us to eat them. A plant’s goal is self-preservation, and lectins are its premier defense system. Lectins are sticky proteins that coat your intestinal tract, making it difficult to properly absorb micronutrients.

Quote:
While micronutrient loss is our key concern, it is also important to understand the other ways that lectins can negatively affect our health. To begin with, lectins make us fat in two unique ways. First, they attach to insulin receptors on fat cells. Remember, insulin is the fat-storage hormone. And once attached, lectins never detach, indefinitely telling the fat cell to store more fat! To add insult to injury, lectins also attach themselves to the receptor sites for leptin, the hormone that tells your brain when you are full, and block its effect on satiety. The end result is that you are prone to overeating because you never get full and more of what you eat gets stored as body fat. That harmless bowl of lectin containing nuts over cocktails hardly seems harmless anymore, does it?

Quote:
Lectins also aid in the creation of leaky gut by binding to your intestinal walls and acting like chisels, forcing apart the cells that protect the rest of you from the undigested foods inside. Many food allergies are actually immune system reactions to lectins.”

On inflammation-----

Quote:
Many people spend a lot of money to include a good omega 3 supplement to offset their higher levels of omega 6, but is that really possible? Take a look at this chart from Rich Food, Poor Food and you can quickly see how much omega 3 and omega 6 your favorite nuts and seeds contain. Take almonds and pumpkins seeds, for example, in just 1 oz. (not very much) of almonds and 1 oz. of pumpkin seeds you have more than 9.2 grams of omega 6 (9,200 mg) and only .052 grams of omega 3 (52 mg). That is a ratio of 177:1 (omega 6 to omega 3)…NOT GOOD. But let’s say you are taking a high quality fish oil that delivers around 600 mg of omega 3 per capsule. You would have to take more than 15 fish oil capsules just to get back to a 1:1 ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 to counter act just 1 oz. of almonds and 1 oz. of pumpkin seeds. Not only would this cost a ton of money, the fact is no one is ever going to do this.

A chart is listed with a number of common nuts and seeds----on how to soak in water, how long and with how much salt.

Flax is listed. CHia is listed. How does one soak chia seeds?

SO CONFUSED !!!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 14:22

BF:

https://www.caltonnutrition.com/we-...ou-to-go-nutty/

Quote:
Go Organic!

Try for an organic spread because nuts are naturally high in fat and oil, and that makes them sponges for unwanted chemicals, such as pesticides.

Sprouting Is Key

Find a nut butter, like those we suggest in Rich Food Poor Food, made from sprouted nuts. Remember, peanuts are considered plant seeds, and when a plant seed undergoes germination through sprouting or soaking, a lot of beneficial changes occur. The phytic acid (EMD) that they naturally contain is broken down, which makes them far less micronutrient depleting. Also, some of the trypsin inhibitors, meant to protect them from insects become inactivated. This is great news because these same trypsin inhibitors can also prevent enzymes from digesting protein in the human digestive tract. This burdens the pancreas and is thought to perhaps cause pancreatic cancer. Finally, sprouted nuts have increased availability of vitamins and minerals, which, after all, makes them our Rich Food choice.

Go Nutty, But Not Too Nutty!

This is especially relevant if you or family members have a peanut allergy or are striving to follow a Primal/Paleo dietary profile. Peanut allergies are quite common, and many health conscious eaters are wary of certain mild objections to peanut butter, such as a mold called aflatoxin that grows on peanuts (it’s greatly reduced in the processing into butter, though), and a moderate level of lecitins (gut irritators) that can compromise digestive health. Furthermore, peanuts are technically legumes, not nuts, so Primal/Paleo followers commonly pursue alternatives accordingly. Quality grocers offer a variety of delicious, healthful nut butters, including almond, cashew, tahini, and even macadamia nut butter. Macadamia nut butter, although hard to find and expensive, is the premier Rich Food nut choice since it won’t compromise your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio like other nut butters. Also consider trying flax seeds and chia seeds, they both have higher levels of omega 3 to omega 6. And don’t forget the ever delicious coconut butter! Coconut butter provides the health boosting, hard to find, medium chain triglycerides (MCT) that enhance fat metabolism and regulate appetite.

Relooked at chia and flax in the chart mentioed above to check the omega3mega 6 ration. YEAHHHH> 5.5 :1.6

Also noted that no mention that cashews are not a nut AND they are ALWAYS heat treated so cannot be sprouted. Read elsewhere that tidbit--- and they are too dangerous to eat without the heating process.

Aflotoxins are always a risk with nuts. However, a testing protocol is in place to keep affected nuts out of the food chain.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 14:29

BF:

Looking for more info on the other possibe nut antinutrients for chia and flax---

https://www.healthline.com/nutritio...-seeds#section8
Quote:
Phytic Acid Content
Like all seeds, chia seeds contain phytic acid.

Phytic acid is a plant compound that binds with minerals, such as iron and zinc, and inhibits their uptake from foods (66).

Blood Thinning Effect
Large doses of omega-3 fats, such as those from fish oils, may have blood thinning effects (67).

If you are taking blood-thinning medications, then consult with your doctor before incorporating large amounts of chia seeds into the diet. The omega-3 fatty acids may affect the activity of the medication (68, 69).

What is the point of hailing this seed as a source of great minerals when it also contains these phytates that binds those same minerals???
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 14:34

BF:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27979151

Quote:
Abstract
This study investigated and compared the occurrence and concentration of macronutrients, moisture, ash, dietary fiber, fatty acids, minerals, carotenoids, vitamins, flavonoids, phenolic compounds, antioxidant activity, phytate and tannin in Brazilian chia seeds grown in the states of Mato Grosso (MT) and Rio Grande do Sul (RS). High concentrations of lipids (31.2g.100g-1, on average), proteins (18.9g.100g-1, on average), dietary fiber (35.3g.100g-1, on average), vitamin E (8,203.6μg.100g-1, on average) were observed. Similar values for total phenolic compounds and phytic acid in chia seeds from both regions were observed. Chia grown in RS showed higher antioxidant activity than chia grown in MT, and the tannin concentrations were higher in chia seeds grown in Mato Grosso (19.08±1.08eq.catequina/gsample). In conclusion, Brazilian chia seeds showed high concentrations of lipids, proteins, total dietary fiber, minerals and vitamin E.

This verifies content of tannins and phytates. But doesnot verify the availablitly of the nutritients.