Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 00:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Pumpkin seed flour?

We recently found some organic pre-packaged pumpkin seeds at 0.9 carbs per 55 g package. According to the carb counter to the right, pumpkin seeds have a zero carb count. This got us thinking...

Has anyone used ground pumpkin seeds as a flour substitute? I see a lot of people use ground almonds to bake with, but I am allergic to nuts so this is something I can't do.

Has anyone tried this, or can think of a reason it might not work? I'm hoping to find a breading for chicken and scotch eggs (but neither of us like pork rinds!)

Many thanks
Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 09:39

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

I'm pretty sure that pumpkin seeds are not zero carb, although they are very low since they are mostly fiber. I don't know about the breading. Why don't you try it out and see how it goes, then let us know? I assume that they would probably lend a nutty flavor.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 11:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dawn,

Yes, it would work. I suggest combining the meal with a little bit of Parmesan cheese and using mayonnaise mixed with egg as a "glue" to adhere the mixture to whatever you are cooking.

Pumpkin seeds do have an effectiver count of 3.95 grams of carbs for 1 oz., or roughly 1/4 cup. The only foods that are carbohydrate free are muscle meats and fats.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 03:53

Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Dear Karen and Angie

Thanks for writing back!

Thanks for the confirmation that pumpkin seeds don't have zero carbs - I figured they had to have some, but the listing on the carb counter said zero, and I couldn't get into Fitday (I forgot my password!).

We made pancakes out of them on Sunday, and while they weren't something I'd want every day, they were a lot better than the pork rind version. It doesn't get as thick, so you have to use more of the seed - increasing the carbs, though I made a crepe out of the batter after thinning it down with a bit more cream, and spread cream cheese on it for a roll-up. Not bad...

Yes, they did taste a bit nutty, but I think it would take on whatever taste of the food you put with it (I think Karen's suggestion of adding parm. cheese would be great!).

Karen, the day I posted this, I saw you make a crust of pine nuts and parmesan - are pine nuts any lower in carbs than pumpkin seeds? (just trying to find the best combination! I can eat pine nuts as they are actually seeds, thank heavens)

Thanks a lot!!

Dawn
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 09:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dawn, check the carb counter under Low Carb Tools at the top of the page. There are other seed options that you might want to compare as well.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/88/94 Female 5'7
BF:lg/md/sm
Progress: 103%

wow i love yet another options since i aswell am allergic to nuts
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 10:18

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

You could also try mixing the ground pumpkin seeds with rice protein powder or whey protein powder, for a finer texture. I've also used ground flax seed for the omega threes in it. ~Gail
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 10:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sona taught me how to make crepes using just egg and water. I put a bit of vanilla in if its going to be a sweet crepe.

Basically, you mix the egg and water together very well. Pour it into your hot, oiled pan, let it coat the pan then pour the extra back into the egg-batch. Cook it until it starts to peel away from the sides of the pan, then flop it onto a plate. Don't bother trying to flip it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 11:10

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

sunflower seeds are another, inexpensive option. there's a wonderful recipie for sunflower seed-parmasan crackers somewhere.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 18:01

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've used ground hemp seeds several times for all sorts of things instead of ground nuts, works very well.