Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 13:59

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
Except that traditional medicine produces side effects that homeopathic medicine does not.

So I don't lump them in the same category, because they are, in fact, different.

Hmmmmm, I'm just going by the definition of homeopathy. I'm not saying anything for or against vaccines -- that's a subject for a different board. There really is a lot of misunderstanding of what homeopathy actually IS. I'm all for accupuncture, meditation, massage therapy, and I drink a few tinctures that I think do me good. These aren't homeopathy, however.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 16:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Well, I'm not sure that's where the cells come from (PLEASE cite a reputable source for that -- it's interesting) but no matter where they're from, they're still homeopathic. As distasteful as the source may be

Anyone using homeopathic medicines shouldn't be too squeamish. Apparently they use all kinds of things in them, like pus, feces and other rather gross stuff.
Quote:
Some homeopaths suggest that vaccines be replaced with homeopathically diluted "nosodes", created from dilutions of biological agents – including material such as vomit, feces or infected human tissues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy
  #48   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 17:39

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
...Apparently they use all kinds of things in them, like pus, feces and other rather gross stuff...

Quote:
Dilution advocated by Hahnemann for most purposes: on average, this would require giving two billion doses per second to six billion people for 4 billion years to deliver a single molecule of the original material to any patient.

I for one am not worried. With this kind of dilution, it's a lot purer than tap water.

Patrick
  #49   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 18:25
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Anyone using homeopathic medicines shouldn't be too squeamish. Apparently they use all kinds of things in them, like pus, feces and other rather gross stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

It's not that aborted fetus cells are "gross", it goes against my personal values.

Good try though
  #50   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 18:39

BF:

Quote:
It's not that aborted fetus cells are "gross", it goes against my personal values.

Good try though

???? To be super technical, they are cultured cells -- only one fetus has been used to make the culture (three fetuses total for three different vaccines -- there's no farming of embryos for vaccines). I personally think it's rather gross, but I'm a squeamish person to begin with (I am so bad at dealing with even my kids' cuts and scrapes). The chicken pox vaccine is the only one that uses fetal cells now.

Your values have been very clear about this; I didn't see anyone doing a "gotcha" to you.

I just say, despite the earthy-crunchy naturalish sound to homeopathy, I think a lot of people are meaning either natural medicine or alternative when they use the word homeopathy.

That has been my only point, but I learned a lot of cool things about the history of vaccines.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 18:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
I for one am not worried. With this kind of dilution, it's a lot purer than tap water.

Patrick

Heh, it's a lot purer than most of what we put into our mouths. I think if I think about it too hard, I wouldn't be able to eat anything at all!
  #52   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 18:45
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor

Patrick

So tap water should cure you of everything since it has probably had everything known to mankind dissolved in it at one point or another.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 18:51
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
???? To be super technical, they are cultured cells -- only one fetus has been used to make the culture (three fetuses total for three different vaccines -- there's no farming of embryos for vaccines). I personally think it's rather gross, but I'm a squeamish person to begin with (I am so bad at dealing with even my kids' cuts and scrapes). The chicken pox vaccine is the only one that uses fetal cells now.

Your values have been very clear about this; I didn't see anyone doing a "gotcha" to you.

I just say, despite the earthy-crunchy naturalish sound to homeopathy, I think a lot of people are meaning either natural medicine or alternative when they use the word homeopathy.

That has been my only point, but I learned a lot of cool things about the history of vaccines.

I was just pointing out to Nancy LC that the reason for avoiding the aborted fetal cell vaccines was not because they were gross - as she had implied.

I agree with you though, I personally do mean natural/alternative - as in, opposition to traditional Dr prescribed medicines.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 08:24

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I think if I think about it too hard, I wouldn't be able to eat anything at all!

You could try embracing it. Sandor Katz presents a great argument for harmonious coexistence with microbes in "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved":

Quote:
Bacteria are not our enemies; however, our culture has declared a foolish all-out war on them, overdeploying antibiotic drugs, chlorinated water, and antibacterial cleaning products. The war on bacteria is like the war on terror or the war on drugs: an unwinnable exercise in futility. Winning the war on bacteria would be our demise. Though certain bacteria can cause disease under the right (or for us, wrong) conditions, bacteria are our partners in life. They are our ancestors and they can be powerful allies in healing.

There are chemicals in food that freak me out - gluten, heavy metals, pesticides, chlorine and fluoride - but bacteria and even mold don't scare me. I think people have it backwards: I'll happily eat my dinner off a countertop, but wipe that counter with "Mama's got the magic" Clorox and I won't touch it.

Last edited by capmikee : Wed, May-27-09 at 08:29.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 08:35

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

oh good grief I always have an inner chuckle when I read stuff like this ..not all homeopathy is aborted fetus and pus!!!

you can find anything on the internet you know ..it does not mean it is real!

good luck to whomever tries it ..with all the off the wall ways people eat and restrict diets in this world you would think there would be a more open mind about varied ideas for healthcare..especially when some people eat the things they do and think they are going to cure all the metabolic problems they assume they have! ..I mean there are people here who eat nothing but meat, or eliminate entire food groups or foods thinking they will get better and consider it healthy ...I do not judge this type of eating but wonder about the real thought behind it...Even Gary Taubes??? he is suddenly the guru of the diet world? come on ..

I don't get this whole judgment thing about this type of medicine ..especially when there is faith in extreme deprivation dieting! ...I will step out now take care and good luck to all who try it!

but for those who want to try if you get a good practitioner understand the true method of how this works (and for some it does very well!) and do well ...then like dieting or other medicine good for you!

ps telling someone homeopathy does not work is like telling my 500 allergy clinic patients their shots do not work for them ... just try that and see what happens same principle!
  #56   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 09:04
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

Good try though

I kind of figured that, I was responding to someone elses take on it.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 21:44

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I keep forgetting the reason I don't use those Boiron sublingual pellets: they're made with lactose.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 21:49

Plan: None
Stats: 168/162/155 Male 63
BF:
Progress:

I know this is an old thread but here's my $0.02.

The main issue I have with homeopathic preparations are their cost. Just drop into any store which sells them and look at the price tags. Yet, I fail to find any peer-reviewed, randomized placebo controlled trials in the medical literature which consistently demonstrate the effectiveness of any homeopathic preparation. What, then, justifies the outlandish costs? If these preparations are no more effective than placebo, which is in essence a tablet of lactose or some other inert substance, why should I pay 1000x the price?
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 07:49

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have a theory about homeopathics.

I think everyone who posts here has experienced the dramatic improvements of going from high carb to low carb, particularly if you've also cut foods you're sensitive to. We've all experienced improvements in health and mental clarity.

I think that homeopathics give your body a gentle nudge to remind it of something it can already do for itself. But if you're system is all gummed up from chemicals and carb fog and food sensitivities, your body won't recognize a gentle nudge. Its too used to being hit with a hammer.

And that's why some people have great luck with them, but they fail in randomized trials, because randomized trials use random people who are used to a huge smack in the face from drugs.

People who have good luck with homeopathics are already the types to be more in tune with their own bodies and less likely to be hopped up on the usual SAD not-food.

Just my unsubstantiated theory.

Quote:
The main issue I have with homeopathic preparations are their cost.

Maybe they're just cheaper where I live, but I don't see that the cost of these meds is any higher than the usual mark up between the HFS and the regular grocery.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 08:07
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe the price is the inverse of their dilution.