Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 09:18
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool We would like to give South Beach a try

We would like to give South Beach a try

My husband said he wanted to try the Beach and I said, “sounds good to me”

He has seen me reading so many books on low carbing and he has seen how lc’ing has helped him by bringing his triglycerides down dramatically so he’s really into this with me.

Since I read the South Beach book a few months back I have seen that they have made some changes to phase 1, I found this out at this website
http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm. So I printed out the changes so I can be up with them.

I loved Atkins and Protein Power, and Life without Bread, they have showed me what low carbing is about and can do for our health, and I will always be thankful that I found them.

I can't blame anyone but myself for not making much progress these past few months, so maybe it's time to try something different. I need to loose weight but my dh doesn’t he just needs to get healthy, I figure it can't hurt to try a different plan, as we have all seen before no one plan fits all, it's just a matter of finding the one that works for you, so we are hoping that this woe might be more compatible for both our needs.

I look forward to posting our progress here and hope we are welcomed and look forward to advise and support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/174/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking

Welcome to the SB forum!!
I am new to the site and have started thinking about switching from Atkins to South Beach. I really appreciate the link you gave for guidelines and things to eat and not eat on Phase I of the South Beach.
I wish you and your husband success.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:31

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

SeeMyself-- Welcome!! I am a newbie too! I am one week into Phase One so we can track our journeys together!!! Best of luck to you and your hubby!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:55

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

HI SeeMyself, welcome! There are a ton of people who switched, and a lot trying to combine - I can't really say I gave Atkins a chance, I started it twice but when I heard of South Beach I thought that is for me - I couldn't imagine living without fruit, and hated the idea of fatty meats. But most of us (just look at older posts) seem to find South Beach more difficult in the sense that phase 2 allows a lot, and when you add all of them to your diet, you stall or gain. You have to titrate yourself more, and experiment what is ok and what not.

If you have a junk email account that can take an extra email a day, go to the South Beach diet, put in your weight etc., and without paying you will get on their mailing list. That will include updates on changes, and some really good recipes. I found some of their mail helpful.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 19:13
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi raven0573, fern2340, Monika4

Thank you for the welcome, I am so excited about this, I have such a good feeling and I have been reading about this woe all day. I love that website that I posted above, they even have a section where they have transcripts of online chats with Dr. A., I really enjoyed reading them.

I will post our progress, and will be here to cheer and support you all too!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:55
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Hi all

My husband and I started this on Sunday, and I just wanted to post today, Wednesday, that I feel great! I am not hungry, I don't feel deprived, I am not obsessing about food, everything just feels normal and right on

I noticed today that my face and especially my stomach are not bloated which works for me, and not to be to informative here, but I am peeing over the moon, it's like the water is letting loose, which also works for me.

I feel good about this change, and it seems right

Just curious, how many of you are out there It seems pretty quiet in here, lets kick some sand around and get to know each other

Take care!

Last edited by SeeMyself : Thu, Mar-25-04 at 09:44.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:47

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

hey there!! I'm here, just busy!!! Work and grad school keep me occupied! Glad u are loving SBD, as am I! I hear ya on the peeing thing....I am into my 2nd week and it isn't stopping!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 243/211.8/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm here too. I do a lot of reading but not a lot of posting. I feel healthier on this WOE than I ever have before. My husband and I are both doing it and we've adopted the philosophy that we're going to keep things natural. That means no malitol, fake bread, low carb products for us. We're sticking to vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and whole grains. So far so good. I love to cook so it's been a nice challenge to come up with new recipes.
We're avid cyclists so we've got a huge exercise component in our diet.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:14
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teardrop
I'm here too. My husband and I are both doing it and we've adopted the philosophy that we're going to keep things natural. That means no malitol, fake bread, low carb products for us.

I hear ya!

I think natural food is so much better. I read a transcript from Dr. Ag and someone asked is it better to have low carb pasta or whole wheat pasta, his answer was whole wheat pasta (remember small amounts). I've been reading some of the ingredients on some of this new lc products that are coming out and I don't really agree with some of the ingredients they put in them plus they cost so much more

I am not at the whole wheat pasta stage yet, won't be for awhile, but it's nice to know that I can have it when I get there (in moderation of course). Somehow makes it easier knowing this
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 12:37

Plan: SBD
Stats: 183/176/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%

I am new too. Maybe we can keep track of each other's progress. I have been on Atkin's and other Low Carb, but this sound's the best for me.
Let's Kick Butt!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 13:44
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Hi fellow beachers

I finished the first week on SB, I had a 3 pound loss, wish it was more but at least it wasn't a gain.

I felt good all week, except on Thursday I was soooo starved and ate all day nonstop, it was legal food, but lot's of food and then tom started on Saturday, so that explained that (sorry, to the guys out there) but no weight gain, that was a real bonus

Like Dr. Phil says, (not exact words, but close enough) you can't put the blame elsewhere, and I agree, but for us girls, those few days can sure affect the weight

I like this diet, it just feels different, and I seem to have better control. Went to an outdoor event on Sunday and knew their would be all those corndogs, fries, cones, you know the stuff, but I went prepared with some nuts, water and cheese and wasn't event tempted by the food, it smelled great, but I had an inner willpower that was stronger. Did go home and have some bbq chicken, kind of had to after smelling all the bbq's cooking all day, but still legal food

We can do!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 14:20

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think all frankenfoods are suspect. How good can it be to eat low carb and then pour all those chemicals in your body? I try to avoid them, too, except for my Diet Coke, and I"m working on that.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:28

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I notice this forum doesn't seem to have one central support thread – have I come to the right place?

I was a member of this site way back when, and after having fallen off the Atkins wagon a number of times, I am back. I am sticking my toe into the South Beach waters this week (ha!) and will start in earnest next week after I get back from a short trip.

I needed to see my doctor last week for another reason, and decided to discuss my weight. According to his records, I've gained 12 pounds in the last three years (that was the last time I saw him) but the truth is I lost some weight, gained it back, and then gained some more! My doctor discussed an eating plan that sounded very much like what I knew of SB, so here I am.

Standard weight charts say I have about 60 to lose, but I'll be happy if I could lose 45 - 50. I achieved some success on Atkins, but the limitations make it difficult to keep up. I am not only starting SB, but thinking about re-introducing meat into my diet after 23 years (I'm 40.) and as you know, any LC WOE is hard to maintain w/out meat.

The problem that drove me to the doctor is some as yet unexplained leg and back pain, which has made exercise difficult. Walking actually feels good, but walking too fast or too hard brings on more pain. I have failed at diet and exercise plans before because I try to make too many changes at once, and I'm determined not to let that happen this time. I have started to walk – not vigorously; just walk – 20 minutes in the morning. In the next few weeks, I hope to switch over to 20 min of more aerobically challenging activity, (even just faster walking) and add some weight resistance as well. Once the problem is diagnosed, I'll have a better idea.

What else? I work as an architectural designer (yup - sit at a desk all day) have two kids ages 8 and 14, and am newly remarried. Last November I gained a great husband but lost all my workout space :-(. But having another adult in the house, especially someone who supports my efforts to reduce, can only help.

Looking forward to learning more, and hearing from you all …

Barb

Last edited by rhubarb : Mon, Mar-29-04 at 19:34.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 23:16
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Hi, and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarb
I notice this forum doesn't seem to have one central support thread – have I come to the right place?

This is a great forum, ask your questions where ever you like, everyone will help It is also broken down in to sub forums, look around and you will see, we have Atkins, South Beach, CAD, Protein Power, Zone plus many, many other diet plans, look around and pick what you would like. Plus, as I said, look around the forum, it took me a month when I first joined to realize just how many subforums there are, and everyone is great

Quote:
I was a member of this site way back when, and after having fallen off the Atkins wagon a number of times, I am back. I am sticking my toe into the South Beach waters this week (ha!) and will start in earnest next week after I get back from a short trip.

I too have lost and gained the same pounds over and over on Atkins, I loved what Atkins taught me, but thought it might be better to try something different in a diet plan.

Quote:
The problem that drove me to the doctor is some as yet unexplained leg and back pain, which has made exercise difficult. Walking actually feels good, but walking too fast or too hard brings on more pain. I have failed at diet and exercise plans before because I try to make too many changes at once, and I'm determined not to let that happen this time. I have started to walk – not vigorously; just walk – 20 minutes in the morning. Barb

I know what you mean about being sedentary (sitting too much) sometimes we have to take it slow when we decide to get back in to the exercise, if we overdo it all we will do is hurt ourselves and give up. Try to take it slow to start and as you get stronger you will want and also be able to do more, remember 1 day at a time
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 06:18

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks, SeeMyself! When I said "This Forum" I meant this forum – South Beach. The other areas of the board that you mentioned have various support threads for people with similarities or like goals. (Single folks, more than 100lbs to lose, etc.) But I didn't see one here – I guess this one is it!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I don't have the book yet, and I am a bit squeamish about eating LF cheese and some of the higher carb vegetable choices. All the more reason to get the book and read it; I'd like to understand why I can have all the LF cheese I want, but not have half and half in my coffee, for example.

Yes, exercise will have to be eased into for sure! What is everyone doing to get moving here?

Barb