Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

I had a page open with Ezekial Pasta and that was 39 grams per serving, not the bread. Guess that number stuck with me, lol.

Even if it's 12 grams a slice that's still too much for me. I try to stay under 30 grams a day of carbs, 2 slices of ezekial bread at 12 grams a slice wouldnt leave much room for anything else.

Quote:
My doctor said it's processed by the body as a protein because the sprouts have not "sprouted." Ezekiel bread is made from sprouts while they are still sprouts. It is also very high fiber.
It's a great bread substitute and I couldn't go LC without it.

Doctor's arent always right about everything, especially when it comes to natural foods.

Also I just found this.

Nutrition information per serving:
Calories: 221
Total Fat: 5.4g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 585mg
Total Carbohydrates: 40g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3g
Protein: 5.8g

this comes from the following link, maybe I wasnt that far off with the 39 gram count.

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/c...ekielbread.html

Last edited by Goanna : Tue, Jul-18-06 at 16:40.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 17:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Maybe a serving size is 2 large pieces with that recipe?
Honestly, it doesnt sound particularly appetizing. Even if it was within my carb counts I don't think I would eat it. You can usually find light wheat bread with 4-6g carbs per slice if you are looking for a low carb bread. There is also an amazing flax bread that I used to get in New Jersey that had 4g carbs per large slice and it tasted amazing! In fact I used to eat it before I started low carbing and when I started low carbing I just happened to look at the carb count and saw that it was really low!
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 20:01

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%

Just FYI, I looked on the package of my Ezekiel Bread and it is, indeed, 12 grams ECC per slice, 4 grams Protein, 0 Fat, 0 Sugar. It is FULL of natural minerals and vitamins due to the sprouts. It contains absolutely NO flour.

Although a lot doctors don't know much about nutrition, THIS particular doctor is a EXPERT on this stuff. He is a rare M.D. who blends the best of Eastern and Western medicine. He knows his stuff when it comes to nutrition and natural foods.

But, I don't expect to convert anyone. The fact is that this bread IS processed by the body as a protein and not as a carb. No everyone is ready for every "truth" that comes to them. No problem.

But I wanted people to know that LC doesn't mean no more sandwiches. Ezekiel Bread IS the answer. Even though it is 12 ECC per slice, remember: your body will process it as a protein, not a carb.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 23:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTCB
Just FYI, I looked on the package of my Ezekiel Bread and it is, indeed, 12 grams ECC per slice, 4 grams Protein, 0 Fat, 0 Sugar. It is FULL of natural minerals and vitamins due to the sprouts. It contains absolutely NO flour.

Although a lot doctors don't know much about nutrition, THIS particular doctor is a EXPERT on this stuff. He is a rare M.D. who blends the best of Eastern and Western medicine. He knows his stuff when it comes to nutrition and natural foods.

But, I don't expect to convert anyone. The fact is that this bread IS processed by the body as a protein and not as a carb. No everyone is ready for every "truth" that comes to them. No problem.

But I wanted people to know that LC doesn't mean no more sandwiches. Ezekiel Bread IS the answer. Even though it is 12 ECC per slice, remember: your body will process it as a protein, not a carb.

A carb cannot be processed as a protein. It's not possible. A carbohydrtae is just Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen. A protein is Carbon, Hydrogen Oxygen and Nitrogen along with Sulfur in some instances.

Carbohydrates are metabolized quickly. Your body isnt going to grab a nitrogen molecule from the atomosphere and turn a carbohydrate into protein just because the source of the carbohydrate is a sprouted grain. It's much more effecient to utilize the carbohydrate as is. It will be broken down into glucose and stored in your body as muscle glycogen when your in ketosis. Once your glycogen stores are full the excess glucose will cause you to fall out of ketosis.

Just FYI while a carb cannot be "processed" as a protein it can work the other way. While on a low carb diet too much protein (and not enough fat to convert into ketone bodies) can cause an increase in blood sugar. How? Through a process called gluconeogenesis. Basically the absence of carbohydrates in the blood (when not enough ketones are present for fuel) and the presence of excessive protein will trigger enzymatic reations to convert the amino acids into glucose.

I am not argueing with you here, this isnt your information. You're just repeating what a doctor told you.

Yes, 12 carbs per slice isnt too excessive, and it's not from white flour, so it's not going to cause an insulin spike. Would this be a better choice then other breads while on a low carb diet, yes it could be. I am just trying to point out that the terms used "Processed as a protein" are not accurate, and for some people 24 carbs from 2 slices of bread, even if they are heathy carbs, might be too much.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 06:59
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I just made this recipe last night and it rocks!!! I haven't used it yet for "bread" but I had one this morning, it tasted just like a danish. I mixed together softened cream cheese, splenda and cinnamon and spread it on top of the "bread" slice. This is going to be my new breakfast staple.

When I stored them last night, I simply piled them on top of eachother in the fridge with paper towels in between each slice. I didn't put them in anything (no plastic bag). They did not sog at ALL. Also I thought I would mention, I cooked mine at 300 for nearly an hour - they are not sticky at ALL.

Tonight I am going to try using these to make personal pizzas. Spread some pizza sauce on each, top with pepperoni and cheese. Anyone else come up with some ideas for these?
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 07:01
Never Give Up!!

BF:

I also wanted to ask if these cook well if you spread the entire egg batter onto the cookie sheet and cut them later - anyone try this with success?
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 08:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I thought about cooking them a whole sheet at a time but havent done so yet. I might give it a try. As long as the entire sheet is covered with parchment paper it should be okay.

When cutting I also think a pizza cutter would be your best bet.

The only thing I have done different is to mix garlic and herbs into them for some extra flavor. I also have some pizza sauce left over though so maybe I will try making a large version of this and turning it into a pizza. I imagine it would be a bit difficult to pick up and bite into but even if you had to eat it with a fork and knife it would be good, lol.

Last edited by Goanna : Fri, Aug-18-06 at 06:36.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 11:42
Never Give Up!!

BF:

I tried cooking a whole sheet last night - worked out fine as long as you spray the pan with Pam. I brushed some melted butter over the top and sprinkled with splenda/cinnamon - delicious!!!!! For lunch I made mini pizzas - took a "bread puff" out of the fridge, spread pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese - microwaved for 30 seconds - perfect pan pizza. I'll be making these "bread puffs" every night - I better stock up on eggs!!!
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 10:45

Stats: 266/264/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:46.7/46.7/??
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramnGramp
I found the recipe here somewhere, but I can't find it anymore to give credit where credit it due.

It's based on Dr Atkins Revolution Rolls - lots of people have played around with it. It's been used for rolls/bread/noodles whatever people can imagine. Just varies by how you plop it on the pan...LOL I've made hamburger shaped 'buns' with it and hotdog shaped 'buns' too. I tried making the bread by spreading it evenly over a pan and then cutting into squares - it was too flat that way. (that's also how you make mock noodles - but spread it really thin)

Atkins Revolution Rolls

3 eggs
1 pkg. Splenda
dash salt
pinch cream of tartar
3 T cream cheese

Preheat oven to 300. Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt and cream cheese to the yolks. Whisk this mixture together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Using a spatula, gradually fold the yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each just a little. Bake about 35 minutes. Let them cool on sheet for few minutes, then remove to rack and cool.
Makes 6 ~ .7 carbs, 0 fiber, 58 Calories, 4 fat, 3 protein

(ETA - I didn't read all 8 pages, so I'm sorry if this was discussed already )
  #115   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-06, 14:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 210/178/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I am making the these right now and they small wonderful.I wish i had thought to add a few spices liek some garlic and onion to them but i wanted to try the original recipe first.Sad to say the last try i had with these i did not whip the eggs enough and they were just as runny as could be.It looks like i got it right this time though..Can't wait to try them...Thank to whoever deserves the credit...
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 09:48
Never Give Up!!

BF:

It is my sisters bday today and she is doing low carb too. I am going to make these today and try to make a strawberry shortcake out of them - I think it should turn out. I hope she likes them - shes new to this WOE.

I am also going to try baking a batch with a little shredded cheese in them, I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone else try this?
  #117   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 11:22

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

didn't the original recipe use cottage cheese instead of cream cheese? which turns out better?

My mom made these in the 70s. I actually like them better than bread. I just fail at making them every time.
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 15:14

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%

Thanks for the pictures. I just came across this site and was wondering exactly how the bread should look after I bake it. Your's looks yummy so I'll definitely give it a try.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 15:18

Nour80, could be you left some yolk in your egg white. If there's a trace of yolk in egg white it won't beat stiff.
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 15:19

I would love to know how they turned out. Please keep us posted, I'm thinking of trying these also after my induction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
It is my sisters bday today and she is doing low carb too. I am going to make these today and try to make a strawberry shortcake out of them - I think it should turn out. I hope she likes them - shes new to this WOE.

I am also going to try baking a batch with a little shredded cheese in them, I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone else try this?