Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/199/130 Female 65"
BF:33%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookery
I haven't tried this recipe yet (planning on it as soon as I go home for Thanksgiving) but there are usually two generic ways to deal with stickiness: 1. flour, which is not an option in this case ;-> but also 2. oil/grease. Could you try brushing the "slices" with a little bit of oil or butter? That might help to keep them from sticking.

Holly

Holly...

That probably wouldn't work well with this recipe because they are already get soggy pretty easily.

They do tear and stick when they are at their soggiest so I would suggest just putting them between paper towels and keeping them as dry as possible. The more dry they are the more firm they are.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 13:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/135/145 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 133%

Hi all :
I got this recipe off another board and it says to bake at 300 degrees for 50 mins and doing this they are not so sticky. The person who posted that said she orginally got it off the Atkin's board a few years ago. It has also been stated that they were like the Revolution rolls from Atkins but have never checked this out. They also Freeze well. I have used this for several different things when made with cinnamon and sweetener then you can make French toast or bread pudding. When made with grated Parmasen cheese and garlic they are good for sandwiches. the ideas never end. so Good Luck all
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 22:05

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

With apprehension I made these today. I really didn't expect to like them (which is why I didn't make them when I saw them in the book) but the bread I have been making (Final Bread) just doesn't do it for me and I finally got desperate enough to give these a shop. Well I gotta tell ya---I Love Em. What a great surprise. Best part is the incredibly low carb count. I don't have to finagle (sp?) the rest of my daily menu just to fit in a sandwich. The Final Bread in my frige is just that final, finished, history !!! Thanks for this great recipe. Blessings, Karen
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 22:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK
With apprehension I made these today. I really didn't expect to like them (which is why I didn't make them when I saw them in the book) but the bread I have been making (Final Bread) just doesn't do it for me and I finally got desperate enough to give these a shop. Well I gotta tell ya---I Love Em. What a great surprise. Best part is the incredibly low carb count. I don't have to finagle (sp?) the rest of my daily menu just to fit in a sandwich. The Final Bread in my frige is just that final, finished, history !!! Thanks for this great recipe. Blessings, Karen

Karen...

I was pretty excited about this recipe when I first started Atkins. (I went off for a few weeks and plan to start again tomorrow or Monday.) I don't cook very well so I pretty much live on sandwiches. Bread was what I couldn't deal with... one slice is too much and 68 slices isn't enough. When I started using this egg recipe I was thrilled! Back to my old sandwich way of eating.

Well, I've been reading on lots of various message boards about low carbbing/Atkins and everyone suggested trying out a bread called "Food For Life" and they claim it was pretty good.

I went to Trader Joe's today and they had two different types of low carb bread, both were this food for life brand. One looks like regular wheat bread and the other ... I'm not sure if it has a pecan base or just pecan pieces in the bread. I don't care for nuts, just creamy peanutbutter. Point being... I didn't buy the pecan bread but I did get the wheat bread. I was pretty shocked, it only has 4g of carbs and 1g of fiber. That leaves 3 net carbs per slice.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty darn good. The egg bread took care of my sandwich cravings for a bit but I found that I was always looking for another way to make faux bread. I'm thrilled now that I have finally found this product.

I think I wrote earlier in this thread that a few weeks ago while doing Atkins I was eating breakfast on a Saturday morning sitting in my livingroom. I was eating over easy eggs that could have used a few more seconds of cooking. Just as I was putting this egg in my mouth there was a documentary on TV about sea turtles and how they lay their eggs. A scientist was catching the eggs as they dropped out so she could count them. As each egg dropped into the scientist's hand ... drippy stuff would follow. I looked at my almost done over easy eggs and instantly starting gagging.

So I have to say that my egg issue is what has suddenly turned me off to the egg bread, not this specific recipe.

Have you tried your egg bread using ham & cheese? Tuna melt? Burgers? Chicken salad? BLT's? Veggie sandwich? The ideas are endless.

I really am happy for you that this works well for you! Good for you!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 08:39

BF:

Guess I'm glad I didn't see that documentary. Egg's are kinda the foundation of my food WOL. Here's what I did to store my "egg bread'.I put them in a couple snack size paper bags and then put in frige. Just pulled them out and there is no threat of sogginess. Blessings, Karen
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:27

Stats: 146/128/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 113%
Smile Thanks

Dear GramnGramp,

I just found this thread and I am going to definitely try the recipe, it sounds delicious.

Thanks again.

Carol
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:34

BF:

Oh My!!!! Don't use my suggestion about the paper bag. Not only did they not get soggy, they got crumbly. Would only be good for meatloaf or meat ball filler. Oh Well, I learned a lesson. LOL, Blessings, Karen
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK
Oh My!!!! Don't use my suggestion about the paper bag. Not only did they not get soggy, they got crumbly. Would only be good for meatloaf or meat ball filler. Oh Well, I learned a lesson. LOL, Blessings, Karen

HA! Too funny! Thanks for adding the update!
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 18:31

BF:
Default Thanks

Dear Karen,

I sure chuckled when I read your reply, you are so funny. I do promise that I will not use your suggestion. But if I need a filler for meatloaf or meatballs, I will know what do.

Thank You,

Carol
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 20:07

BF:

Hi Again Karen,

Just realized that we are fellow Montanans.

One issue with the bread (I haven't tried it yet because I just found the thread this afternoon) is that people in these forums are from different locals, (high humidity, low humidity, high altitude, sea level) these are all factors in cooking. I never realized until I moved from Vermont to Montana over 30 years ago that I now had to read the side panel on boxes of mixes that I was about to prepare. Some want you to throw in more flour or oil or water, I always read the whole container before preparing. Now that I am LC I pretty much know that I don't have to worry about some of these things because they are normally on things like cookies, cakes, etc.

I am definitely going to try this one, I have copied the recipe as well as all the suggestions of everyone.

Thank you everyone.

Carol
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 23:07

BF:

Hi Carol, I go through Livingston whenever I go to Bozeman (or further west). I'm about 1 1/4 hours from you in Absarokee. Small world, huh.
I know what you you mean about high alt. baking and cooking. My husbands favorite dessert is angel food cake so for his birthday every year I break 12 eggs and make him a cake from scratch. My first 2 years in Mt. I was living in a higher altitude than I am now. 5200 feet as compared to 4900 now. Well, his birthday came around and I prepared his favorite, popped it in the oven and about 35 minutes later I pulled out of the oven the heaviest POUND cake you've ever seen. It was about 2" in height and was hard as a hockey puck. I considered using it as a door stop..... The next year I tried making the high alt. adjustments but to no avail. Sooooooo, I moved to a lower elevation just so my DH can have his 'special' cake. Blessings, Karen
P.S. Carol-you have a fabulous smile!!!
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 20:30

BF:

Hi Karen,

I really wasn't ignoring you, I got so caught up in trying to get everything ready here for the holidays. My son and his fiancee flew into Belgrade last night, they will be here until December 29th. I love that they stay for more than a couple of days.

I moved to Montana 30 years ago from Vermont. I lived in Bozeman for the first 11 years where I met my DH. My husband was born and raised in Bozeman, never lived anywhere else till we moved over to Livingston in 1984. When I retire in 3 1/2 years I want to move to Kerrville, Texas. I have lived in harsh winter climates all of my life and am sick of it, I am tired of being cold. I have a brother who lives near Austin, Texas and he would only be about an hour and a half from me. Kerrville is so beautiful, I also have some very dear friends that live in Kerrville.

I haven't had a chance to make this bread yet. My boss is only having me work a few hours a day so that I can spend time with the kids. I always call them kids, but they are in their mid 30s.

Thank you for the lovely compliment.

Will catch you later.

Have a very Merry Christmas if I don't talk to you before.

Carol
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 20:40

Plan: own version
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5 ft 6inch
BF:don't care
Progress:
Wink "bread"

[FONT=Times New Roman]
gunna try this recipe
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:40
Registered Member

Stats: 168/145/138 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 77%

I love love love this recipe. Thank you so much for posting it. I stuck to slices in the toaster for a FEW seconds and made the best sausage, egg and cheese sand. Today I had planned to take my littlew boy to Arby's so I threw 2 slices in a bagie went through the drive thru ordered a giant rost beef tossed the bun and made my own sand. It was great!!
Thanks again
Kim
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 174/138/135
BF:
Progress: 92%

Tried this recipe tonight.....made some round "hamburger buns" and some square shaped slices. They puffed up in the oven, but fell before they were finished baking. They
are a little sunken in the middle Is this what is supposed to happen? Still tasted great. A definite keeper!