Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 07:07
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
Do they have to stay in the fridge? They get a bit limp in the fridge. Can they stay out a couple of days?

I would think they would need to be stored in the fridge. Although, I left a bunch out over night by accident and we ate them anyway - no one got sick. Some people say they get soggy or sticky in the fridge, especially if you store them in a container. I don't put mine in a container, I layer each piece of bread between a paper towel, and place the pile on a plate, no cover. In my house, these don't last long anyway, so storage has never been an issue.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 08:24
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
I don't put mine in a container, I layer each piece of bread between a paper towel, and place the pile on a plate, no cover. In my house, these don't last long anyway, so storage has never been an issue.

This is exactly how I store mine & they never get soggy. I layer the pieces between paper towels on a plate and put them in the fridge. If I want softer pieces I put them in a ziploc bag in the fridge.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, portion control
Stats: 230/203/140 Female 65 inches
BF:44.1%
Progress: 30%

That's a great idea with the paper towels!

Mmm, think I'm going to make a batch of these today
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 13:48

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default Hamburger Bun

The bread is slightly thicker now and makes a good hamburger bun. I think I'm going to experiment more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdbobby
I'm going to have to try it w/ almond flour added, sounds good. The last batch I made I added cinnamon, liquid splenda, crushed walnuts & vanilla. It was soooo good, I topped some slices w/ whipped cream and I made strawberry sandwiches with a couple of slices. For the sandwiches I blended cream cheese, vanilla & liquid splenda. I spread the bread w/ cream cheese & layered sliced strawberries and added another piece of bread on top. It was really very good.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 13:50
Kerry

Plan: WW/Atkins
Stats: 368/266.5/199 Female 5'1
BF:M.O./O/chunky
Progress: 60%

Is everyone whisking these with a hand whisk, or mixing with an electric mixer? I tried it and stiffness was not achieved!
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 14:02
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

here are some hints for beating eggs

There are a few tips to beating air into egg whites and producing a buoyant foam — none of which involve rocket science.

The first step is that the bowl and beaters should be absolutely clean. If there is a little oil residue in the bowl or a little hint of yolk in the whites, it will interfere seriously with the formation of air bubbles. The bowl should also be dry as water will inhibit the formation of the foam. One of the steps you’re taking is important, beating the whites at room temperature. The proteins in the whites expand better when warm, so you will get better volume from the eggs. Older eggs also whip more easily because of chemical changes that have taken place as they aged.

You’re also right about wanting to add something to the mix. You should start with a pinch of salt in the whites, which will help firm up the proteins. About a quarter-way through the beating process, you add an acid to the foam, which stabilizes it and helps keep the bubbles from bursting when you stop beating. Most people use cream of tartar, but one or two drops of lemon juice or vinegar will work as well.

If you happen to have an expensive, unlined copper bowl lying about, it is ideal for whipping egg whites. A happy reaction between the copper and whites generates a much more stable foam, with one-third more volume than you get in a standard bowl. Cookbook author Madeleine Kamman says you shouldn’t bother whipping egg whites by hand unless you have a copper bowl. (And if you do, scour it with a mixture of 1/4-cup vinegar and a tablespoon of salt, rinse it, and dry it thoroughly with paper towels before adding the eggs. Then omit adding any salt.)

the best way to beat egg whites with a serious stand mixer, such as a KitchenAid brand, is to add the salt and up to four whites to the bowl and beat for one minute at medium low speed. Add the acid, then beat for three minutes at high speed. If you’re beating five eggs or more, the first stage should take two minutes, and the second should take three to four at a slower setting (medium/medium-high). If you’re using a hand mixer, beat the whites and salt for two minutes at medium speed, add the acid and beat for two minutes more at high speed.

How can you tell when the whites are done? Place an uncooked egg (scrupulously cleaned) on top of the foam. If it doesn’t sink at all, you’ve gone too far. If it sinks 1/4-inch into the foam, your whites are perfect.
  #142   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 08:42
Kerry

Plan: WW/Atkins
Stats: 368/266.5/199 Female 5'1
BF:M.O./O/chunky
Progress: 60%

Ty so much liddie!!
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-06, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Anyone ever try frying them in a pan? Probably would be much quicker then in the oven.

I made a Fake French Toast recipe and decided to whip the whites until I had semi stiff peaks, and it made a nice thick batter (See thread in the breakfast forum). I fried them with a little smart balance to keep them from sticking and they came out great. Then I just microwaved them a bit to make sure they were fully cooked in the center.

I might try it next time I whip up a batch of these. If it works I'll probably make them more often, or in smaller batches whenever I feel like having them .
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 07:32

Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm gonna try this as soon as I buy some cream chese! Sounds good. I've gotten really hungry just reading this thread
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 09:35

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

Somebody asked above.. I do NOT refridge these.. As they are cooked fully right? I have left them out and NOT had a prob.
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 12:42
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

A couple of new things that I found to do w/ the batter. May have already been mentioned I don't know.
1) Pipe batter into hot oil, comes out kinda like a funnel cake, sprinkle w/ granular slenda & cinnamon or heated sf jam.
2) Dredge a cheese stuffed whole green chili in the batter, fry. Yummy chili relleno.

~Symphony, thanks for reminding me about this wonderful recipe. I just had a piece smeared w/ cream cheese and sf blackberry jam Last night I ended up cutting the huge round (I always use a big pizza stone for this recipe) into pizza slices, smeared mayo and layered lettuce, tomato, bacon & avocado. Very yummy BLTA pizza!
  #147   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 11:47

Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

I tried this which was a feat for me as I'm not much of a kitchen person. I was esp. terrified of whipping the egg whites, I've never done that before in my life.

BUT It turned out beautifully and I've been enjoying this "bread" for 4 days (just ate the last one for lunch).
I did only divide the batch into 8 "slices" but they were biggish and very nice.

It did take me a couple of slices to get used to it though. At first I found it so airy, light, fluffy & without substance, but I sucked it up and learned to like it.

I've had it as a slice of bread w/butter & cheese, w/cream chese and under tuna salad. Very nice
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 17:50

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

I am so excited to find this! This is going to help me through the holidays! I never do exactly what the recipe calls for. So here are some of my ideas.

1- Full sheet of the mixture, topped with mixture made from mayo, cream cheese and dry ranch, topped with finely chopped broccoli/cauliflower, tomator, and cheese!!! YMMMM!! Vegetable Pizza LC! I am so excited. I will definately be trying this.

2- Little weiners wrapped in this like a pig in the blanket dipped in jalapeno dip.

3- PIZZA!!! I know it was mentioned but had to say it again!

4-Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwhich with lc veggie soup or chili mmmmm!

5-Endless ideas for pastries and creams!

Ok, I will stop, good thing I am full right now.

Thank you!
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 21:17

Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Aloha ya'll,

Mahalo plenty for sharing this recipe. I hope to point others in "Da Outskirts" toward this recipe!!!

CC
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 19:20

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Ok, here's another one I've got to try. This sounds really awesome. Looks like I can have my favorite Cream Cheese Danishes after all. How cool is that!

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4