Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 08:03
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Reversing Type 2 Diabetes Starts with Ignoring the Guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDx

Excellent TEDx talk by Dr. Sarah Hallberg about reversing type II diabetes.

https://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ

Last edited by RawNut : Thu, May-07-15 at 17:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 08:39

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Excellent indeed.
(Great to share with my skeptical family.)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 09:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The most clear and helpful 18 minute explanation of insulin resistance so far. This brilliant talk is not just for diabetics, share it with everyone, overweight or not. A quarter of normal weight people also have metabolic issues.

http://fitteru.us/2015/05/tedx-talk...rsing-diabetes/

Dr. Sarah’s TEDx talk, given at Purdue University, is already attracting attention and accolades. Please consider sharing this video on social media—you might just save someone’s life!

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-07-15 at 14:05.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 07:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

This is exactly what is needed. More "regular" doctors touting the benefits of low carb.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 08:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I loved this! So targeted and entertaining.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 12:35

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP
This is exactly what is needed. More "regular" doctors touting the benefits of low carb.

+1

Absolutely. I've been pleased to notice that some folks on these forums and on a couple of LC Facebook pages I visit are finding out that there are now many doctors who are sympathetic to the LCHF way of eating. Now we need more who are willing to take a public stance like Dr. Hallberg.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 22:35

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Wow! Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 14:39
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Thank you for posting this- it's excellent!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 16:45
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I liked her talk a lot although I might have liked a different presenter slightly better.

I agree 'on paper' about the no-such-thing-as-essential-carbs, but I disagree in the real world. I think -- and this may be due to pre-existing health conditions and cultural upbringing, not the normal state of an ideal human -- that some people really do require some carbs. I think there is a certain robust integrity required to do VLC for very long especially if the person has underlying health issues they may be oblivious to (anybody 100+# overweight would likely fall into that category). However, "Low-Carb" can be what, from 50-100g/day depending on the plan, so that's nowhere near zero anyway.

I think I'd have leaned slightly more on the insulin and heart attack thing and then brought it back when looking at the ADA graph and how their people in the study needed so much more. Look the ADA is killing them! Just to underscore it LOL.

I also think that really emphasizing to people that you don't have to do serious LC (let alone VLC) to benefit from even just a reduction in carbs -- 150/day would be way better than 450 a day -- I'm willing to bet that any reduction helps, especially for those people who do not get fat so by the time they realize carbs are killing them they'll be just about dead.

PJ
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 06:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I agree 'on paper' about the no-such-thing-as-essential-carbs, but I disagree in the real world. I think -- and this may be due to pre-existing health conditions and cultural upbringing, not the normal state of an ideal human -- that some people really do require some carbs. I think there is a certain robust integrity required to do VLC for very long especially if the person has underlying health issues they may be oblivious to (anybody 100+# overweight would likely fall into that category). However, "Low-Carb" can be what, from 50-100g/day depending on the plan, so that's nowhere near zero anyway.

An excellent point, because I've seen that with my illness. I cope better with more carbs than I used to eat, for whatever reason. So I have up weeks and down weeks.

Though I do think the impact of saying "No such thing as an essential carb" could be helpful in prying belief in whole grains out of people's heads.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 07:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amber O'Hearn in the Ornish thread has only eaten meat for over five years, so she would likely have no problem at all with Dr Hallberg's comment that there is no such thing as an essential carb. 😉

I was excited most watching a conventionally trained medical doctor standing up in public open forum and simply outright saying "Ignore the ADA dietary Guidelines". Awed by all the important points that she did include in 18 minutes, not going to worry over any she missed.

In 12 days it has had over 37,000 views...may its growth in popularity continue exponentially.

One local Chicago health writer has urged her readers to watch it:
http://thrive.suntimes.com/health/y...ant-women-hear/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-15-15 at 09:11.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 10:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Well, there are glycogen storage diseases and deficiencies in fat and ketone metabolism that can make glucose essential. The sort of universal glucose requirement that Paul Jaminet pushes doesn't seem to have much to support it though.

When somebody does better with a Perfect Health or other moderate carb approach vs. Atkins or something more ketogenic, it's hard to say that the carbohydrate is what made the difference. Even if the additional carbohydrate comes from something like white rice, there's a lot of nutrition coming along for the ride along with the carbohydrate. I guess a study with pure white sugar or starch might help prove if there's such a thing as a glucose deficiency (in a more common sense).
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 10:45
Every moment is NOW.

I was reading a ref about the liver making ketones the other day, and considered that anybody with serious liver issues -- which people my size almost certainly have, regardless that this is not where medicine begins (oddly, I think it should) -- may have what I "intuitively suspected" was my issue -- that after some time doing wonderfully, my liver simply could not provide the ketone output that my body required any further. Hence the need for carbs, and literally hallucinations of batteries and gauges on empty and the feeling I would DIE if I didn't consume some kind of energy to support my organs immediately.

(Not a food craving. For godssakes. I love LC food, was eating it happily.) I think maybe some of the difference is the health of a person walking into the eating plan. I'm willing to guess that if people are very healthy, full keto probably works really well.

Since walking in I had no 'symptoms' other than fat, I assumed I was "perfectly healthy aside from being bizarrely fat." This is obviously a misunderstanding but I've heard a lot of other people say things like that. I think people do not GET fat without, at some point, serious endocrine and possibly organ issues -- let alone THAT fat.

PJ

Last edited by rightnow : Fri, May-15-15 at 10:51.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 11:24
Every moment is NOW.

I should add that due to common experiences of aging (which again may not reflect the perfect ideal body; we've all grown up culturally affected by our food and natal history) probably most people 45+ esp. women have some degree of endocrine issue, if only the "body produces radically less hormones than it used to" situation.

PJ
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 12:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
... the need for carbs, and literally hallucinations of batteries and gauges on empty and the feeling I would DIE if I didn't consume some kind of energy to support my organs immediately. ...

I have had that same exact feeling before on LC diets gone by. I'd have months and months under my belt sticking as best I could to my program and making progress with weight loss. But I'd reach a point where I just felt like I was dying inside - literally. I was feeling a desperate NEED for carbs and I truly felt that I just could not continue on like this. In my case, the low carb food was so unappetizing at that point and eating it did not do anything to remove this specter of dread that I was feeling. Several of my LC diet attempts just stopped at this point. It wasn't the need for sweets or any particular food I was missing. It was carbs in general that I wanted and I felt I just had to take a break from the diet. I could not go on.

15 or 20 years ago, someone had given me a printout of a the lowcarb diet that they were on. It was pretty much the Atkins induction diet - but it had a feature that really appealed to me... it had built in diet breaks. This plan called for 12 days on and 2 days off. I'd do the weekend off every 2nd week. It seemed like a sustainable way to go since you'd always have a break to look forward to every 2 weeks. Between 1998 and 2010 every LC diet I did was based on this 3 page diet I'd received. It worked, but not very well. I would often binge or at least overeat on my 2 days off and then struggle to resume the diet. It would take nearly a week to lose the weight gained over the break and then I'd have 3 or 4 days where weight loss might or might not happen. Then it was time for my 2 day break. I made progress, but it was a struggle and the struggle only got worse the more I did it. The longer I went, the more trouble I had sticking to the 12 days on 2 days off plan. It would take 3 days, then 4 days, etc. to get back on. I'd reach a point of no progress and I just could not go on. It would end with those feelings of misery and doom that you described. I NEEDED carbs. My LC diet had run its course. I just couldn't do this forever. The best I ever did on this was losing 90 pounds over a period of 7 or 8 months. Once off the diet, it would take months for me to even consider trying it again.

That didn't happen to me this time -- at least it never reached the same level of intensity as it did before. I can only speculate as to the reason why. I was doing LC the dumbest possible way. I was totally ignorant about what was going on under the hood with this WOE. This version of a LC diet had me constantly switching in and out of ketosis. It also had me constantly dabbling in foods that I had problems eating in moderation. Cheating regularly does the same thing, but this wasn't cheating. The diet called for it. I think I had a permanent case of induction flu. What I was doing was very hard on my body and eventually my body would just couldn't take it anymore. This time, I've stayed in ketosis 98% of the time. I knocked myself out of it a couple of times eating a few too many carbs (found my carb limit for ketosis) but got right back on plan. No binge weekends - no days off. It probably took 4 to 6 months to fully adapt, but eventually this became very easy to stick to; enjoyable even. I have plenty of energy and have lost weight every month for the past 15 months. With all the LC disasters of the past, this was totally unexpected.

I often wonder about people who settle in on a daily carb limit that is right around their break-point for staying in ketosis. Do they find themselves flipping in and out of ketosis all the time? If what happened to me is any indication, it is best to always be over or always be under this ketosis limit. Craving carbs and trying to break free from the addiction is hard enough - but jumping in and out of ketosis frequently makes it an even rougher ride.

I am VLCHF these days and I've become what most people here would think of as an extremist. I found that being extreme works for me and so does VLCHF. I feel great and have no intention of changing back into a carb eater. I'm sure that lower a carb/non-ketogenic diet will work fine for some people. It may even work for me - provided I avoid high GI foods that I know would give me problems. I'm just not sure that I want to risk it.

I did like the video, BTW. I have several diabetic friends that have tried LC and have not been able to make it stick. VLCHF as a permanent lifestyle is a really hard sell. But for some people - and I think I count myself in this group - it is the only workable solution to have a long and healthy life.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, May-15-15 at 13:22.