Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 375/170/160 Female 5'2"
BF:not as much now
Progress: 95%
Default Fake Bisquick Recipe

Being from the south, I love good baked goods. I've never cared for carbquick or the atkins bake mixes. I don't remember where I found this but I keep it made all the time. I use it just like you would bisquick. I make pancakes, biscuits, pot pies, even fruit cobblers with it. Hope ya'll use it as much as I do.

5 c almond flour
2/3 c whey protein
3 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp splenda, granular
2 tsp salt
1 c lard (if you watch your transfats use butter)

Mix all dry ingredients together. Sift them if you have one. If not, just mix up well with a wire whisk. It does the same thing. Break in lard (or butter) until it looks like coarse meal. Store in airtight container. I keep mine in the freezer.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, May-30-05 at 07:17. Reason: Correcting error in recipe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/154/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Fake Bisquick recipe

I made a copy of your fake Bisquick recipe and wonder ..have yu ever tried this with dumplings as in chicken and dumplings...being a southern also..this is one of the things I miss..

I'm anxious to try this mix in various recipes..
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 09:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Thanks for this recipe. I don't have Carbquick available, and I'm suspicious of what they do to the wheat. At least I know what's in this.

The wheat protein... that's "wheat protein isolate", right?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 20:03

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Is it really 3 TABLESPOONS of Baking Powder? That seems like a lot, but then I never used Bisquik before.
Babs
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 12:10

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%
Default Wheat Protein isolate

Kristine:

What is Wheat Protein isolate? and where can i get it? I'm in Toronto but i don't know any good brands or anything...i ususally shop for LC stuff at the bulk food store.

Thanks

deb

P.S foldks i just answered my own question and found a super reliable source that i've used before that supplies canadian LC consumers..

if anyone is interested, here's the link

http://members.shaw.ca/jjm_vandenbroek/LCFE.htm

Last edited by deb34 : Tue, May-24-05 at 13:13.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 375/170/160 Female 5'2"
BF:not as much now
Progress: 95%

Sorry everyone. The recipe is suppose to read WHEY protein isolate. It is the unflavored protein supplement. It is suppose to be 3 TBS baking powder. It will act as a binding agent also, like Wise Choice cake ability.

As for the uses: Any recipe calling for a baking mix can use this.
I make cobblers, pancakes, waffles, chicken pot pies and YES even dumplings.
As for where I buy it. I guess you could try GNC. I am a gastric bypass surgery patient, so I buy it at the hospital pharmacy where I had surgery.
Many don't realize, but we HAVE to follow a LC WOE after surgery. I eat the same way ya'll do, just smaller amts.
Kristine--the one thing I have learned this last year, I do better cooking from scratch. I like to know just what I'm eating. I filled my body with way too many processed foods for too long. Even though I LOVE to cook, being single, it was easier to just GRAB SOMETHING QUICK. I've worked out a compromise. I cook for my parents and sister throughout the week. When I do, I make TV dinners for me. That way I am not tempted to just grab something, for the sake of convience.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 08:16

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
The recipe is suppose to read WHEY protein isolate.

Is there any way that the WPI Wheat protein isolate could be fit into this recipe somehow?

I'm not clever enough to figure this out myself. Could an experienced LC baker modify this for me?

Thanks for your help...

Deb
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 07:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
Is there any way that the WPI Wheat protein isolate could be fit into this recipe somehow?

I think wheat protein isolate might make it gummy. If I remember correctly, it's very high in gluten, which is what gives flour its stringy/thickening properties. If you want to use up wheat protein isolate, you should be able to substitute it for any recipe calling for gluten flour (aka vital wheat gluten). Gluten flour is 80% protein. I've never seen wheat protein isolate, but I use a fair bit of gluten flour. Deb, since you're in Tee-Oh, you can get it at Bulk Barn. Come to think of it, Bulk Barn is a must-visit when stocking your LC kitchen: you can get gluten flour, soy flour, bran, ground almonds aka almond 'flour', cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, spices, flax seeds, nuts, nut butters...

PS - I edited the original post so no one jots it down without scrolling down to see the correction. Thanks again for the recipe, Diane - I'm going to try it as soon as I make room for it in my freezer. Congratulations not only on losing weight, but establishing a healthy home-cooking habit. Ain't cooking fun?

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, May-30-05 at 07:33.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 07:22

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws1119
As for the uses: Any recipe calling for a baking mix can use this.
I make cobblers, pancakes, waffles, chicken pot pies and YES even dumplings.

Diane,

Thanks so much for the recipe! Just a few questions to make sure I understand correctly... you use this baking mix in ANY recipe that calls for a baking mix? Including recipes calling for the high carb baking mixes? Can it be used to make rolled doughs (like for a pie crust for chicken pot pie or a rolled pasta "like" dumpling for chicken and dumplings) or is it just good for "drop" crusts and dumplings?

My husband loves my chicken pot pie and I would love to make it for him more often but it is difficult for me to resist. If I could roll a crust for myself, I would make it for him more often.

I also love chicken and dumplings and would love to enjoy them again. But I don't like the thick "doughy" dumplings that are so common in southern home cooking... never did, even though that is what I grew up with. My family knew this awesome Chef that worked at the Ramada Inn in Beaumont, Texas and he made the most fabulous chicken and dumplings. He shared his secret... broken up lasagne noodles... cooked until they start falling apart. Fabulous!!!! But I would have to be able to roll the dough and cut it out into a pasta noodle shape to simulate this dish.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

Phyllis
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 290/235/170 Female 5'8
BF:TOO MUCH!!!

Did someone say Chicken 'n Dumplings? I'm in!! I will try to locate this items in my area, I wonder how the biscuits are??? Thanks for the recipe!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 07:52

I would really love to use this recipe to make some dumplings or pancakes but I have never used Bisquick before (I don't think it was ever sold here in Ireland?).
I'd be so grateful if someone could write out, or point me to, a recipe I could use for this mix, either pancakes or dumplings.
Thanks - and thanks to Diane for the recipe
Babs
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
I would really love to use this recipe to make some dumplings or pancakes but I have never used Bisquick before (I don't think it was ever sold here in Ireland?).
I'd be so grateful if someone could write out, or point me to, a recipe I could use for this mix, either pancakes or dumplings.
Thanks - and thanks to Diane for the recipe
Babs

Babs,

Bisquick and other baking mixes are just flour with leavening added in... a little baking soda, salt, oil, and dextrose... so, technically, you could use Bisquick with any recipe that calls for flour and leavening... or even one that doesn't call for leavening, for that matter, it would just rise or "puff" up a bit.

Assuming that this bake mix recipe can be used in place of Bisquick (or Pioneer or other baking mix), I can give you the recipes on the bisquick box. You could also go to Bisquick.com... they probably have tons of recipes on their site.

Pancakes: 2 cups Bisquick, 1 cup milk, 2 eggs

Stir until blended. Pour by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle. Cook until edges are dry. Turn; cook until golden. Makes 14 pancakes.

For thinner pancakes: use 1 1/2 cups milk.
For melt in your mouth pancakes: Stir in 1 T. sugar, 2 T. lemon juice and 2 t. baking powder.

(Personally, I like my batter a little thinner so I add a little more milk until it looks right... but adding as much as an additional 1/2 cup is too thin for my tastes.)

Dumplings: 2 cups Bisquick Mix, 2/3 cup milk

Stir ingredients until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling stew; reduce heat. Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Makes 10 dumplings.

(This is the kind of dumpling that I don't like, although many people do,... big balls of chewy dough... ick... )

There are other recipes printed on the box; you can probably find all of these on their web site.

Phyllis
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 06:32

Thanks a million, Phyllis! I am going to try your recipes this week, especially the dumplings. I used to make herby ones that included suet and mixed herbs, but I used water not milk, so I will try that. I really miss my spuds when I have stews or casseroles, so I am sooooo looking forward to dumplings - mmmmmmmmmmm, chewy dough (doh!).
For the pancakes, I may try either watered-down cream or soy milk to keep the carbs low. I have recently obtained freeze dried blueberries and raspberries, too - double mmmmmmm!
Babs
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 09:50

BF:

You are welcome, Babs. After I left the post I went to the bisquick web site and found that they do have many recipes. I always sub 1/2 cream and 1/2 water for milk... unless you can get Hood's Carb Countdown milk. If you miss potatoes with your stews and soups... I like to add radishes in place of the potatoes. (Depending on the size I leave them whole or cut in half.) By the time they cook, all of the red, and bite, is gone and they give you a "potato" mouth feel to your soups and stews. Of course, you could also use turnips or rutabagas (sp?) but I find they retain more of their own flavor. The radishes take on the flavor of the soup/stew and still give you that mouth feel. Just a thought.

Phyllis
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 10:11

I never thought to use radishes - must give them a go now that you say the 'bite' goes after cooking. I have tried all the myriad versions of cauli mash, too and hated every one - plus it seems to have a poly belly effect on me, too!
Turnips, or swedes as we call them, are fine as 'turnips', but trying to make them into something dry, bland and floury like the spuds we eat here in Ireland is a wasted effort.
Thankfully, I can order Dreamfields on the net, so I can have pasta a couple of times a week. I heard they were working on a potato sub ages ago, but no sign yet. The new season's potatoes (gorgeous) will be available here soon - pre-diabetes, I could eat just spuds and butter for my dinner!
Thanks again for your help - I will let you know how I get on.
Babs