Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-01, 22:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile HomeFries / Hash Browns

Heaven, I'm in heaven ....

Sometimes, I really, really want something more to go with my bacon and eggs for brekkie. Came across a recipe in Fran McCullough's latest book "Living Low-Carb".

She calls for radishes, the red jobs. I used daikon (lo bok), and it was absolutely delicious. I imagine that the small white and purple turnips would also work just fine.

Hash Browns ... makes 2 servings

1 Tbsp bacon fat (I used butter)
half a small onion, diced
1 large bunch radishes, diced (I used ½ lb daikon, diced)
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp dried thyme
paprika
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- saute onion in the fat until soft, then add the radishes. Cook over medium heat until crisp outside, and soft inside, about 8 minutes. Add seasonings near end of cooking time. Sprinkle with paprika just before serving.

10.4 gm total, 8 gm fiber

Doreen

**note - I added a Tbsp of water with the diced daikon, and covered the skillet for 5 minutes, then removed cover and cranked up the heat to "brown" it a bit. Worked perfectly.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-01, 22:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

MMMMMMMMMMM!!! karen has got me hooked on daikon. i just love it. so does dave. i'll definitely try this dish. love that daikon!

i'd better go to bed now. it's way past my bedtime (9:00)!!

p.s. i was just scrolling up to close doreen, when i saw the title of your post. i hear maurice chavalier singing. am i right? (mind you i was a very little girl when i heard him sing in gigi)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-01, 22:48

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Talking

Maurice Chevalier sang about home fries? Oh well, why not!

Doreen, that sounds yummy! I'm putting radishes and/or daikon on my shopping list right away!

The only problem is the ONIONS....one of my favourite veggies, but pretty high in carbs....in fact, I like them so much I don't even buy them....can't stop at one.....onion....me smell onion....where that onion????Me want onion....I suppose I could use green onions, they'd be just as good.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 08:32
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation onions

Actually, the song "Dancing Cheek to Cheek" was written by Irving Berlin, and sung by Fred Astaire to Ginger Rogers in "Top Hat" I think Frank Sinatra also made a recorded hit out of it.
  • Heaven, I'm in heaven
    And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
    And I seem to find the happiness I seek
    When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK Rachel, onions are carby for sure, but a small trade-off, I think, for all the flavour. Same for garlic ..

1/2 a small mature onion, nets about 3 Tbsp chopped = 2.7 total carbs, 0.8 fiber, so that's only 1.9 effective carbs.

Scallions (green onions) would work fine, I just find they burn faster! Scallions are about half the carbs of mature onions.

This brings me to the carb count listed in the book for the recipe ... Now that I have Netzer open in front of me -

onions - 2.7 / 0.8
radishes - 4.2 / 1.8 (assuming 1 cup chopped)
fat - 0
seasonings - 0.5
----------------------------------
for recipe - 7.4 gm total carbs; 2.6 gm fiber = 4.4 ECC per 2 servings.

daikon would be similar count, turnips would be a bit higher, but not much.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 09:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up Another Hashed - Brown Recipe - Zucchini Hashed Browns

This one is made with Zucchini.

1 - 1/2 pounds zucchini
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 T. Grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup butter

Directions:

1. Coarsely shred zucchini (you should have about 4 cups) and combine salt in a medium size bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze with your hands to press out moisture.

2. Stir in eggs, cheese and garlic.

3. Melt 2 T butter in a wide frying pan over medium high heat . Mound about 2 T of the zucchini mixture in pan; flatten slightly to make a patty. Repeat until pan is filled, but don't crowd patties in pan. Cook patties, turning once, until golden on both sides. (about 6 minutes).

4. Lift out and arrange on a warm platter, keep warm.

6 carbs per serving.

#6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 11:45

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Recipes look great....anxious to try the Hash Browns!!!

#7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-01, 19:10

BF:

Tried the hash browns this morning, using finely chopped turnip and green onions. Fried it in the same pan as some ham, so it absorbed some of the drippings. Very yummy, and so easy, even easier than potatoes, which I could never fry without having them go all gluey! That one's a keeper, for sure!

Rachel

#8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-01, 19:14

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Tried Doreen's version of the hash browns using "radish"...turned out great. I used green onion....and bacon drippings. It was so nice to have something extra with the bacon and eggs this morning!! Something to definitely look forward to on the weekend.

Sometimes I get treated to breakfast out on the weekends, but it always seems like such a waste paying for the homefries and the toast you can't have. It was a even a treat to cook and have the whole gusto this morning! Had a thin slice of low carb toast as well...so today I really splurged.....worked it all off this afternoon "brushing" trees on my lot....18 bags of "stuffs" and two truck loads of branches....but boy it felt good to be outside and enjoying the sun. I love exercise that doesn't seem like exercise.

Hope everyone else is starting to get some nice weather as well.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-01, 19:17

BF:
Default Paying for stuff you don't eat

I hate paying for things in restaurants I don't eat, so when I have breakfast out, I always ask for a small side salad instead of toast and hashbrowns. I get a few odd looks, but no one's ever said no, and I've never been charged extra, either.

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 11:20

BF:
Thumbs up Turnip hash browns

I made turnip hash browns again this morning.

Chopped about 1/4 cup turnip up small and added it to the pan with bacon cooking in it, then threw in some green onion. Then, just on a whim, I added a couple tablespoons of crushed pork rinds. Cooked it all together for about 5 minutes, then fried an egg on the side.

Well, you know the crunchy bits that 'real' hash browns have, that you can't duplicate with turnip or radish? The pork rinds are a PERFECT substitute!

I suspect these would be very difficult to tell apart from potato hash browns. And VERY filling!

I think, with different spicing, and maybe with the addition of celery and mushrooms, this would also make a great side dish for chicken or turkey, or even a stuffing.

Rachel
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 16:18
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile carbs in turnip

hi Rachel,

I think you'll be happy to hear that turnips (the small white and purple ones) are a little lower in carbs than you think. I double-checked both Netzer and the USDA to be sure.

1/2 cup diced turnip is 3.8 carbs, minus 1.6 gm fiber. So, 2.2 effective carbs. That's no so bad.

I like the pork rinds idea. If only I could find the darn things. I can't afford to drive all over the city looking for this stuff, and don't want to either. I wish my local NoFrills still carried them, they had them over the Christmas - NewYears season, then no more .. .. And my local IGA doesn't have them either. And unfortunately, those things have a shelf life, and go stale rather quickly, so I can't "stock up" when I do find 'em. *whine, whimper ... *

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 17:38

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

doreen, my no frills carries pork rinds. why don't you pester your no frills manager to get them in for you. they must be on their distribution list. the ones that i get are Snak King Perky Puffs. tell him that brian and karen's no frill in ajax, ontario carries them. good luck. i'm always finding new ideas for pork rinds. i can't wait to try pork rinds french toast. i'm just waiting for my davinci's pancake syrop fromm island girl's LowCarb Food Experts.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 20:27

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:

Doreen do you have a Bulk Barn near you? They usually have pork rinds. They also have them at IDA drug stores around here but they're the more expensive Old Grandad's brand.

Sorbee's makes pancake syrup with Splenda, and other flavours. Maybe you could ask somewhere they carry other Sorbee products - Walmart, A&P, Bulk Barn - if they could get the syrup. I got it in Toronto at the Specialty Food Store in Sick Kids hospital. I also use E.D. Smith pancake syrup, it's a little higher in carbs though.

I'll have to try the radish home fries to go with my pork rind pancakes - boy does that sound weird!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 21:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Food Basics also carries E.D. Smith syrup as well as the Hollywood bread. At least the Basics in Cambridge does.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-23-01, 12:54

BF:
Default hash browns, the reprise

Well, I wanted hash browns with my egg and bacon this morning, but all I had in my fridge was cabbage. NOT BAD!!!

I chopped it fine and fried it with the bacon (after pouring off most of the grease) and about 1 tbsp onion. Sprinkled 4 pork rinds over to make crunchy bits. Maybe I'm getting weird tastebuds from lowcarbing, but I thought it was yummy! And way lower carb than the turnip!

Rachel