Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Newbie and Working out

Hello, I've been doing low carb for exactly a month. My muscles are still weak and fatigued, but since I'm not getting much results, I'm adding back in weight training and cardio tonight. I'm wondering if I should eat any carbs before working out, and if so, how many? Is there anything else I can do to reduce the muscle fatigue? I've heard mention of salt water on some articles I've read to reduce symptoms. Would this be helpful?

P.S. I'm around 20-30g net carbs per day to stay ketogenic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 17:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Lannrx; I don't know what you are eating in one day, to be able to see if it's matching your output.
I never exercise during the Induction phase of Atkins because my muscles get fatigued. Good to give the body time to adjust to low carb high fat WOE.

It's okay to stick to 20-30 grams of net carbs for weight loss, but when you add in weight training and cardio, it might be a good idea to go to 50 grams of net carbs. You can experiment to find the sweet spot. You've lost 9 pounds in one month - that is results!!

Many on this site will completely agree with you - lots of salt is important. So is eating enough. Weight lifting is an extra burden on the muscle (the tear that repairs) and they say to eat carbs after lifting. Even if you don't up your carbs, just eat lots of protein, fat and veggies. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 18:09
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. I actually don't know my weight loss over the past month so my profile still had some old stats. I'm sure I've lost a tiny amount (my pants are a tad looser), but probably not 9 lbs. I was failing over and over because of the scale, so I haven't weighed myself this time out of fear of it influencing sticking with it or not. I will weigh myself in about 10 days.

I was able to work out today, although my muscles just get exhausted right away. I just thought by 1 month I would be pretty fully adjusted to add in exercise.

-Laura
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 19:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Laura - oh I see - you gave yourself that month before exercising. I've been low-carbing since January 1st and I've just been walking but I start at my gym April 1st so that will be the true test of things. I'm at 25-40 carbs/day. Think I'll start with classes and if I need to adjust and eat more, I will eat more protein, fat and veggies. Then if that goes well, I'll start on the cardio and lifting.

Have you thought of starting your own journal in the journal thread? You can post what you're eating every day. In my experience, people on this site are extremely knowledgeable and supportive and may be able to help you with your WOE. Salt, salt, salt. And have you read the low-carb books by Dr. Atkins? Sometimes we can pick up a hint or two on things we might be missing in our low-carb diet. I don't like to think of you with fatigued muscles every day!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 19:31
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I gave myself a good month before heading back to the gym. For my post workout snack I ate some sugar snap peas and red peppers with some dip. There were a few carbs in those. The weight training took a lot out of me. By the time I hit cardio afterwards my legs were really shaky. I'm Determined to stick with this and learn whatever curve there is. I have not read Atkins, but have read south beach and read up on the ketogenic diet and PALEO quite a bit. I was always put off by Atkins due to all the food products they sell full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners, but maybe I need to find a specific keto book or something to help along. I made "bulletproof coffee" today for my breakfast and it actually drastically helped my energy level, but the muscle fatigue is relentless. I'll Check out the food diary section. Thanks!

Laura
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Laura, if you have established yourself in ketosis, you don't need to add in more carbs. Your body is perfectly capable of manufacturing them in the liver from your dietary protein. AND it's perfectly capable of using fat (both dietary and body fat) to fuel your workouts.

In fact, there are increasing numbers of serious athletes who are very low carb, because fat is a more stable form of energy, so it's more likely to prevent hitting a wall during periods of intense exercise.

If you are tired and NOT losing and not feeling your best, try salt first, as GR recommends. But you may have something else going on, too. I'd ask my doctor for a thyroid panel, just to see if that, perhaps, is contributing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 20:05
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I am in ketosis and have the breath to prove it
I was going to make a physical appt anyway, I'll as my dr to do a thyroid panel as well.

I'm also going to add in a cup of broth each day and see if it helps

Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 20:12

Toss a bit of good salt in the broth, while you're at it.

There is also, which may help even more, a salt that is half salt, half potassium. It's by the regular salt at the grocery store. I know they have it at SuperTarget and Cub. Instead of the dark blue canister, it's in a pale blue one.

When you don't get enough sodium, you can be low on potassium, too, and that can make for achy muscles.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 20:22
Registered Member

BF:

Great idea! I'll pick some up tomorrow. My foot cramps are pretty out of control so potassium probably is lacking.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 21:39

Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Are you taking magnesium? 1000 mg a day REALLY helps my muscle cramps/weakness.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 21:48
Registered Member

BF:

Yes! Every night before bed I drink "natural calm" ionic magnesium. It cured my chronic migraines so I don't ever forget!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-16, 15:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

What MickiSue says sounds right to me. Good luck with some added salts and minerals.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-16, 18:26

Laura, how's it going?

Did the salt and potassium help with the fatigue?

I assume that the nicer weather is helping.

It's sure perking me up!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 08:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Laura. You still there? I'm following MickiSue around because she gives good advice.

I'm interested in seeing a list of your workout routine. I've been a regular exercise for literally decades. I lifted quite heavy--as heavy as it was safe to do at home--years ago. Now I take it much lighter.

However, I would definitely advise doing resistance training and cardio training on alternate days. 30 to 45 minutes, max. You'll work up to stronger and longer routines over time, if that's what you're aiming for.

You don't need more carbs. That's old news in athletic training. You do need salt and other minerals, and enough fat for energy--not necessarily "extra" fat, but the fat included in things like meat, bacon, chicken skin, mayo and other salad dressings, butter for cooking and seasoning, etc.

Best wishes.