Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 13:54

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Huge jump in my lipid panel

I just had a lipid panel ran last week because that is when my yearly blood work was due. Ideally, it wasn't the best time since I haven't been on a LCHF diet long enough. I have only lost 3# and don't need to lose weight. I am 5'2 and weigh 112#.

I cut out all grains back in April, drastically cut out sugar next to nothing the middle of January, but increased my fat intake in May all of 2014.

Has anyone else had such a huge jump in their total cholesterol and LDL? I read all the books and was expecting a minimal change but nothing like this. Of course the doctor wants to see me to discuss this next week.

July 23, 2014
Total Cholesterol – 291
Triglycerides – 86
LDL – 133
HDL- 141

Previously before LCHF
Not Fasting
Total Cholesterol 163
Triglycerides - 78
LDL - 73
HDL - 74
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

My thoughts on cholesterol, from all I've ever read, I dont think the numbers mean anything!!

But in answer to your question. A friend of mine had hers checked a while ago and hers had jumped too. After some thought, she realised that the night before, fairly late, she'd eaten a huge, high fat/high carb meal - so its posible that traces of that were still going thru her system - could that be the case for you??

Jo xxx

Last edited by ojoj : Sun, Jul-27-14 at 14:05.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 14:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Please read the stickies on the cholesterol forum..much good info there to help you.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 14:04

BF:

Possibly high fat, but definitely not high carb. Also, I don't eat after supper time 6:00-7:00 p.m. and my lab work was done appx. 15 hours later-not fasting because I have never had a problem with my levels.

Thanks for the suggestion of possibilities though.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC
Possibly high fat, but definitely not high carb. Also, I don't eat after supper time 6:00-7:00 p.m. and my lab work was done appx. 15 hours later-not fasting because I have never had a problem with my levels.

Thanks for the suggestion of possibilities though.

I thought for an accurate reading the test should always be done after fasting for at least 8 hours?!

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 14:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I thought for an accurate reading the test should always be done after fasting for at least 8 hours?!

Jo xxx

I agree fasting is more accurate, but my understanding is that is more so for LDL and triglycerides. Those are the two you can see the biggest changes in. Cholesterol is generally in the same range. I do want my next test to be done fasting.

Does anyone know the best time to have a C Reactive Protein test ran? I don't want to do it if it is too soon to give my body time to adjust to this new way of eating.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 17:04

Plan: low carb/grain-free
Stats: 155/118/118 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Your numbers look strange to me. I've never heard of an HDL of 141. Some people here have had issues with faulty testing, so before you get told to take statins or anything drastic you might ask for a retest.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 18:01

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

I believe there has been some studies showing that fasting/nonfasting makes little difference for lipid panels, and that the nonfasting is actually more realistic (sorry, could hunt up the references if requested, I guess, but there you are)

I agree get retested. Also, maybe I'm off base here, but as you are so small a 3 lb. loss may be very significant to your body and that may be reflected in (temporarily) higher LDL. But I'm just sort-of-guessing here.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 18:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC

Whoa, you weren't fasting? Lipid profile MUST be fasting. Nothing but water for a good 12-18 hours. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your message, but do mention this to the doctor if he wants to read you the riot act over your lab results.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 18:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's a huge difference between fasting and non-fasting.

More importantly, when you're low carb your triglycerides fall really low when you haven't eaten in a while. When you're high carb, they build up with every meal and never get very low.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 18:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's a huge difference between fasting and non-fasting.

More importantly, when you're low carb your triglycerides fall really low when you haven't eaten in a while. When you're high carb, they build up with every meal and never get very low.

I figured that is why my triglycerides were so high. Not that 86 is high, but for low carbing it is and I don't cheat. I did eat breakfast before I went. Since my levels have never been anything to worry about, the doctor has never had me fast before. I am 45, almost 46 and never had problems with my lipid panel.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 02:43

Agree with Kristine and Nancy, having breakfast just before the blood draw makes a huge difference. And with LDL, even what you ate for 3-4 days before makes a difference. Best to stay quite low carb then or the small LDL particles can jump up.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 03:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Agree with Kristine and Nancy, having breakfast just before the blood draw makes a huge difference. And with LDL, even what you ate for 3-4 days before makes a difference. Best to stay quite low carb then or the small LDL particles can jump up.

I will definitely do a fasting blood draw next time. So depending on what the doctor says Tuesday, should I try to push for a repeat lipid panel in 6 months or go along with it now? Providing my insurance will pay. I don't want to pay for this out of pocket since I doubt anything is seriously wrong with me.

As far as the LDL and what I eat affecting it for the 3-4 days prior, do carbs like avocado matter?

I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone has given me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 03:56

Not an avocado, more grains or sugar. Specifically on the small LDL:

http://www.cureality.com/blog/post/...-particles.html

And in general, high carb sugary stuff and alcohol. Since you normally eat fats, continue to do so in your normal amounts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/3...lesterol-check/

Personally, I would not bother to get another test until your next regular check-up. This one is useless, ( the Trigs were high from eating and that HDL is hard to believe) have it removed from your record as you appear healthy and having no problems.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jul-28-14 at 04:28.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 06:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

If it were me, I wouldn't consider statins under ANY circumstances. There's ZERO studies showing they have any benefit at all for women. And risk of serious side effects.