Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-13, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 265/223.7/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Search Function?

Hello...I'm not really a newbie, been lurking and posting off and on for years, but suddenly I don't seem to be able to use the search function...at all. I've tried several different terms, used the advanced function, read the thread about it and tried searching for posts instead of titles...I even used the example "potassium" in the thread, but I always get "no matches". I've used the main search button in the middle of the green bar, and also used the "Search this Forum" button; I've tried quotes around two words, such as "smoked sausage"...I am not having any success. I used to use this function with no problems in the past.

I'm using Chrome for my browser...would that have anything to do with it? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-13, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Solution: Google search.

Two ways you can do it. You can click the link that says "Advanced search" and put your terms into the google search box and have it search the site.

Or you can use google directly and add this to your search terms: site:lowcarber.org It will restrict the search to just this site.

It is a vastly better search engine than what comes with the message forum software.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-13, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270.5/251.5/170 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 19%

I have also had a terrible time with the search engine. I even tried an advance search of the Forums for the word 'carbs' and no results. Seemed pretty improbable to me so I gave up.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-13, 20:57
Experimenter

BF:

Did you try any of my suggestions?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 10:11

BF:
Default Tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Did you try any of my suggestions?

I tried your suggestions but I think I was confused by the first one because using the advanced search if you search for one thing and then use the google bar to search for another or specify it changes the search back to a web search which is irritating but manageable. At least I know how to fix it now if there is something I really need to find thanks.

Also I did know about the way to search straight from Google but I am usually not inclined to have multiple windows open that are bringing me to the same forum. But I suppose that is more of a personal than a technological failing. I am however still confused as to why the search bar does not work without going to advanced settings and why when I try to use the advanced settings Under 'forum search' there are never any results. This is obviously some sort of programming error but it is good to know there are ways around it. Thanks for your help!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 10:52
Experimenter

BF:

It's just that the search that comes with the forum software isn't very good. I gave up on it years ago.

Does your browser not let you use multiple tabs? Chrome lets you pop open a new tab ^T, so does Firefox and modern versions of Internet Exploder. It's a wonderful invention. I usually have at least 6 open at a time.

Having good search-fu is awesome. Yes, it is a bit annoying you have to click around to get to the Google search on this site. I wish it defaulted to that!

Google periodically offers online classes in mastering search. It is an extremely valuable class.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 11:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forababy
I am however still confused as to why the search bar does not work without going to advanced settings and why when I try to use the advanced settings Under 'forum search' there are never any results. This is obviously some sort of programming error but it is good to know there are ways around it. Thanks for your help!

The forum search function has been temporarily disabled while our webmaster tries to analyze and fix some server problems. You can read the whole thread here in the Comments Box section .. "Server is too busy" messages for background information and any updates.

The specific message about disabled search functionality is here .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...059#post8756059

It's a time-consuming process trying to figure out exactly what's wrong before it can be fixed. It will probably be a few more weeks (?) before the webmaster feels confident to turn it back on. Keep an eye on the above-linked thread for any updates

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 11:47

BF:

Thanks to you both! It being temporarily disabled makes much more sense to me than it not working at all.
And I do use firefox and chrome multiple tabs are easy enough It's mostly that I prefer not to have a bunch of tabs open i find it slows my connection down a bit and I lose track of which ones were for what fairly easily. Also I play online games and such already so my having multiple programs open in addition to multiple tabs may be why I find it hard to keep organized. I appreciate you both responding and filling me in, glad to be part of this forum it seems there are a lot of caring and helpful members.