Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Not stalling but crawling

I notice that the Turtle club has been pretty quiet lately!

I am at the point in my weight loss journey where I seem to be losing less than a pound a week. This month my average may creep up to one pound a week; I'm not sure yet. At any rate, I am still losing weight when looked at on a monthly basis. So I can't really say I'm stalling. Let's call it crawling!

I think crawling takes a lot of perseverance. It's a little scary to think that one mistake over a holiday weekend, for example, might set you back the better part of a month. Or does it even work that way? I don't find a clear rhyme or reason to when in a given month I lose weight. For a while it seemed to come right before and during TOM, but even that is no longer reliable. Nonetheless, I continue to see progress--very slowly. And my weight has never increased since I started thie WOE nine months ago, except for one-two pound fluctuations.

I'd like to hear from others who are in a similar situation, assuming you are out there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 17:02

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Gah! I've only lost between 5 - 7 pounds since September. What's slower than a turtle - a clam? A plant?

Well, all things considered, I'm not really that unhappy. I've had to do a lot of computer work these past couple of months and my exercise time has suffered. I'm just not ready to try giving up cheese and cream entirely, nor a mug of coffee in the morning. I don't always drink enough water. Maybe I don't always eat enough. There are probably many reasons for this.

But honestly, even when sedentary, in the past I used to lose much better on low-fat starvation type diets. But I was miserable and unhealthy! Remembering those hungry days does give me patience. And the fact that I am having things that I know I shouldn't, but am neither hungry nor gaining, is a definite improvement over the past.

But yes, crawling is a little scary. I was very good over the holidays for that reason. I have been wondering if I need a "refeed", but am worried that this might present a huge setback for my body. I have no idea what kind of metabolic resilience I have to carb excesses since I am scared to test that!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 08:24
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I am right there with you. Recently my motivation has been waning (even though I have stuck with low-carb -- no cheating).

I have been doing this since May and although I am down a nice chunk, I has seemed as though I have been at a stand still for months. I am not even down one full size from when I started. I tried a refeed -- but it didn't do anything for me.

On the plus side: I sleep better, I do not get sleepy after lunch, I never get intestinal gas, and I have not gained any weight (which could be almost as good as losing).

I just wish I wasn't so darned impatient!

I think you are doing the right thing to examine small things you aren't doing "to the letter" -- and you have reminded me to do the same. I have been slacking on water, I have been eating out of boredom, I haven't been exercising regularly, I have been inconsistent with my vitamin supplements, I have not been counting carbs (just eyeballing it). Wow...I am not a turtle...I am a sloth.

Crapola....I am going to do induction again before I get out of control.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 08:33

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Grl,
I popped over to your journal but saw that you hadn't been there much recently! Still, your loss of 23 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I'm surprised you haven't gone down a size in clothing. You are close to my height and weigh less, but I started at a much higher place so perhaps I am feeling more sense of progress right now, despite the crawling.
Some people hold out the promise that weight loss will pick up in the spring. We can hope, right?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I am feeling exactly the same. From June 16th 2003 I lost well until about Thanksgiving. Now I crawl along barely losing one or two pounds a month, if that. I still follow the rules and I exercise 5 days a week. It is hard to stay motivated as it is the lower number on the scale that kept me going in the past. I'm thrilled that I've lost over 40lbs but I still have a long way to go. At this rate I'll be grey and wrinkly before I'm slim!! Oh well, it's better than gaining weight. Keep the faith!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

me, too! this has been my lament for quite a while now...it was great and easy for so long, and i am so happy with where i'm at....but to keep the daily motivation when nothing is happening on the scales is hard! i have about 5 lbs to go, and i guess i have to realize that if it takes all year to lose them, so be it! (and at this rate--the same for almost two and a half months, it WILL take that long!) it's just that i must be one of those people who can't fudge (sorry for using that tempting word!) around with extra carbs at all! for the most part, i am extremely happy with how far i've come, but this is why this site is SO valuable. i come here every day for the inspiration and motivation to keep on doing what i need to!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:13
Registered Member

Stats: 154/146.5/125 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm new at this. I have started crawling on my weight loss too. I lost 5lbs. the first week. It's about a week before TOM. Does that affect weight loss? How long does that last? How do you know you are still loosing. I guess you have to wait until TOM has left. Does anyone else have bad sweet cravings. I do so bad. It's hard to stay on track. I usually like lots of chocolate during TOM. So far I'm doing good. It's hard though.