Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 22:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/249/249 Male 6 foit
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketone level

I just finished the two weeks of induction. I was extremely strict with carb intake and just tested my ketone level with ketostix for the first time. I am at the very minimum of 8 mmol/l right now if not more. I just read that the optimal weight loss level should be between 1.5 and 3 mmol/l. Is that true? Am I cutting out too many carbs? What you guys suggest going forward? My goal is weight loss and willing to do whatever it takes to get the best and fastest results....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 07:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Please read all three parts of this explanation of ketones. http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 10:04

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'd not change anything for a while and I don't think that number is high. I use a Ketonix meter and am blowing about the same if I can trust the correlation http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/ketonix/ketonixScale.png

Are you lowcarbing to affect health, weight or performance or all, some of none of the above?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 14:51

BF:
Progress:

I have mobility issues and put on some weight. So right now my immediate goal is to lose weight via Atkins and limited excercise.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 14:53

BF:
Progress:

So there is no optimal ketone level for most effective weight loss? I like this diet but it is super confusing.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 15:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Right, x ketone level does not equal y weight loss. A LC plan doesn't have to be hard, there is no requirement to test ketones. You can eat according to a plan until your weight loss slows or near goal, and maybe tweak with more close monitoring later.

Some questions: Books you have read are "nine", assume you have read nine different LC plans...which one appealed? Or was that none? in which case, where did you get your Atkins plan? The 1972 Atkins or 1992 Induction Plan http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 are very simple plans. No net carbs, just eat foods from a list, limit a few other foods by measuring, e.g. cream is 2-3 T, cheese 3-4 oz. Your stats in upper corner are all the same..knowing where you are on the diet helps us answer. Did you lose any weight the first two weeks? There is no biological need for carbs, I know many who have stayed at the 10-20g carb level for years, so don't worry about carbs being too low. My suggestion would be for weight loss to stay at/below 20g carbs until goal, but not everyone needs or wants to do that.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 16:05

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

If you see any color it means you have ketones being released. That is all you need to see. When it gets darker it can be because you are dehydrated. All you need to see is that you are spilling ketones if you are using the sticks. If it was white then that would mean you are eating too many carbs to spill them.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 16:12

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari430
I have mobility issues and put on some weight. So right now my immediate goal is to lose weight via Atkins and limited excercise.

You have picked a good approach; Atkins and limited exercise. Keep doing it for a while and you may notice some results.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 17:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If you're turning the sticks at all, cravings are low, appetite reasonable, don't worry about it. It can be worthwhile approaching a more ketogenic diet, but that's not the default, it's something to do if you find yourself in a long stall, or having a lot of cravings, etc.