Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-16, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I think Splenda is a better sweetener for Coffee. I think Stevia works better with tea. Just IMHO. The secondary flavor in Stevia is Mint or licorice. I think tea could cover that better.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 02:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinath_69
Anyway, I seem to be having diarrhea pretty much every day since last Saturday when I started bulletproof coffee. I tried stevia and Splenda a week later, so that didn't cause it.

Yesterday was pretty bad for diarrhea. 5 splenda's 3 bulletproof coffees and 6 runs to the bathroom.

Some people find that adding a few tablespoons of coconut oil will cause diarrhoea initially
Maybe cut down the amount in your coffee to see if it helps with that "bathroom issue" with a plan of increasing it gradually if your body copes with it?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 07:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hope that initially wears off after 10 days or there abouts.
Cos I'm there right now.
I'm hoping someone says its how the water leaves the body when you actually lose the weight.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 10:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have both, sometimes I use Stevia, and sometimes I use Splenda. They both work well for me
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 08:24

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I just saw a big bag of "Pure Stevia" in the grocery store -- and when I looked at ingredients it had all kinds of other things in it. I use the Sweetleaf brand, and don't get that bitter aftertaste some people report. I think it may be an individual thing.

Does anyone have any input re: Stevia and spiking BG/insulin levels? I rarely use it, but my partner uses it a LOT and unchecked , he will use it and use it and use it. He is controlling his type II diabtetes very effectively with a low carb diet... off of almost all meds, lost 55 pounds so far... but I am afraid that his penchant for sweet things might get him into trouble with too much Stevia.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 08:56
Registered Member

BF:

Stevia is not consequence free for me. It creates hunger, cravings, and likely causes insulin spikes plus in a delicate drink like tea tastes awful.

Sucralose may be better, but I am not ready to try that experiment again yet.

I have had a decent taste out of stevia if I mix 1 packet of sweet leaf with 1 packet of Nectresse (erithritol) but that is totally counter productive cos nectresse is 2gm carb instead of 4 in a normal sugar packet.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 10:53

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

I have been using Stevia for 4 months, do not like the taste at all, so now I have stopped adding any sweetner and I adjusted to black coffee/tea. You will adjust it takes 3 weeks to set a habit
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 14:17

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
Many years ago, I used to drink a lot of coffee and had 2 teaspoons of sugar in each one. My roommate pointed out that we were going through a pound of sugar every couple of weeks, and I was the only one who used it. So I stopped. It wasn't easy -- my taste buds hated the bitter flavor of unsweetened coffee, but gradually I got used to it (I might also have cut down gradually). The same thing happened to me when I went on low carb -- I had to change from 2 percent milk in my coffee to cream, and at first I hated it. The cream was all oily, and had a different taste. So I did it gradually -- 2 percent, then whole milk, then half and half, then light cream. And now I am used to it. Why not try to wean yourself? Your taste buds may adapt. And then you won't have to deal with all of this.

Way to do it!!!

Here are 2 reasons to go fake sugar free!!!

1~artificial sugar stills tells your brain that sweet has entered the building & that sets off cravings when it's gone! So the fake sugar roller costed has you in its grips!

2~any sugar fake or real effects your gut bacteria ballance! The bad bacteria feeds & multiplies off the sweet stuff & cause adverse effects!

These 2 reasons alone keep me far away from using them! Not to mention the fake sugar aftertaste is awful! Blah!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I used Sweetleaf a few years ago before stevia became more popular and it seemed fine. There are more options for stevia now but many of them have added ingredients, like dextrose.

The few times I tried Splenda I got terrible brain fog, it was alarming. I avoid it like the plague now. It seems to be added to some things now without specifying as an ingredient, so I'm really careful with condiments, even pickles.

It's a matter of individual tolerance, some people are fine with AFS but if you have a bad reaction you've got to avoid them.

As I mentioned in another post, cinnamon is a nice way to sweeten coffee, and sometimes I also use pure vanilla extract (no added sugar or corn syrup). If it wasn't so expensive I'd use it all the time, doesn't give a strong vanilla taste like a syrup, just a bit of vanilla flavor and scent.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 11:13

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm researching this Splenda vs. Stevia thing. My doctor told me to go Stevia and NOT Splenda. I've been using a squirt of the liquid Splenda Zero in my morning coffee. Having done some research, I'm finding all kinds of bad stuff on Splenda.

But - Stevia is all over the place. Supposedly its much better for you regarding gut flora, and not leaving chemicals to harbor in your body (like Splenda is said to do). Yet, there are fake versions of Stevia out there like Truvia, which is like all chemical and almost no true Stevia in it.

Sweetleaf brand is *stated* to be the purest. Yet recent reviews on it sounds like the company is having quality control problems. No sweetness at all, an odd greasy film in drinks and weird clumping.

I've also read that Splenda (and other AS) does weird things to your blood sugar - yeah, no carb, but your levels react crazier than sugar??

I've been totally off normal carbs for about 8 months. No rice, bread, potatoes, or sugar, and just getting carbs in veggie and such like cream. I'm staying at, or under 20 carbs a day.. but my blood is still at 5.7 and I've stalled for a month. I wonder if it's the Splenda.

I've ditched the diet drinks, and my only vice right now is my bulletproof coffee. I just can't break the need for just a tinge of sweet in my coffee yet.

Any other input on this debate, or Stevia purity etc?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 15:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I doubt very much that sweeteners are worse than sugar, at least in the amounts that most people consume (of either).

But some people report good results when they stop using sweeteners, it can't hurt to try.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 17:40

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I use Splenda to bake and Sweetnlow for my coffee.
I can't get used to the taste of stevia. I just don't like it.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 21:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I found Sweetleaf Stevia to have the most acceptable taste. As for quality control, my boxes of Stevia packets crystallized and turned hard after about 6 months. Indicates moisture came through the barrier of the packets. They're no good to me. Yes, I was disappointed, while I don't use Stevia that often, I want it to be usable when I do.

Occasionally, I'll use liquid Sucralose in a pinch, but I too have heard negative things and would prefer a natural sweetener if I have the choice.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 04:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Stevia can taste different with different brands, some variation caused by processing and our own taste buds. I like the Trader Joe's plain stevia extract, but you may taste a licorice aftertaste. Recently I have added the stevia flavored drops for coffee, NuNaturals Vanilla (good) and SweetLeaf English Toffee (seems only a mild sweetness and taste to me, but it works) Also added the fruit flavored 5 pack of Stur, just a few drops to a large thermal cup of water and ice...sip on that for hours.

Never use Splenda*, and only Swerve for baking, which I do so rarely still have the first bag from two years ago. Someone here posted this good summary from Maria Emmerich (thank you, I use it often )
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/guid...ral-sweeteners/

A fan of local researcher Susan Schiffman, why Splenda decomposes into toxins when heated, a short summary of her work: http://www.prevention.com/food/heal...risks-sucralose

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-29-17 at 04:44.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 07:58

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Meh, I don't buy the splenda stuff. It is rat research and that is just like the whole sweetnlow gives you cancer thing that has been debunked..

For me, It is about personal, taste, tolerance and preference. I think they are all the same when it comes to what they do. Some will have issues and some will not.

I am not a sweet eater, My downfall has always been potato chips. Salty carbs, Turned me on!!!
But once I am eating Atkins, I find I have even a less desire for sweet things. I do make Atkins desserts for occasions and parties, but as a rule I am all about savory.

I once tried baking with sweet n low and can I say, it was the worst thing I ever ever ate!!!