Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-14-13, 12:05

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atta girl!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Was wondering how you are doing. I suffer from binge eating as well and it is so tied into my emotional well being.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 17:37

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Mainecyn - I'm doing well...thanks for asking! It is challenging because if you take away the ability to binge eat, then I have to find another way to deal with the feelings. I find that sometimes I over eat due to nervousness, boredom, happy, sad or anxious. Just about every emotion out there can trigger an eating response for me. But I'm on day 45 of my 100 day challenge and I'm not allowing anything to get in the way of that. Hope you're doing well too!!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 18:22

Thank you, I am. I understand fully what you are going thru. I have been a binge eater since a teenager and its interrupted all parts of my life. I started a large round of supplements and vit a month ago. It was a miracle, worked where prescriptions did not. I am getting stronger every day, so are you.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 18:42

BF:

Wow...I'd love to know the details on what you're taking! And I'm so happy that you are doing well, that is fantastic news!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 13:31

I googled binge eating one day after consuming enough food to feed my entire family, boxes of donuts, ice cream, cookies, etc. I had been binging non-stop for months and months and hiding it. My husband doesn't know I suffer from binge eating even though it is something I have always had and I have managed to drop almost 100 lbs. I reached the bottom of the barrel, desperate, and hating myself. I knew I had hit bottom, more so than ever before. I had lost complete control.

Binging went from something I did occasionally to release stress or when the mood stuck me, to daily. Eating in my car, the bathroom, my office, going thru all the drive thrus at once. I can't find the article currently, but it mentioned that these supplements were given to binge eaters and said that often binging, the switch, gets turned on because you are actually deficient in certain amino acids. I had all the symptoms. These supplements help the metabolism and send the signals from the brain to the stomach etc. that seems to turn that binging switch off. I had never tried amino acids before.

This is what I take.

B-Vitamins -help regulate serotonin levels to elevate mood and decrease binge episodes
* Chromium – when needed for sugar cravings. Helps insulin to get into your cells to regulate glucose so that your hormones stop sending messages to your brain that you need more sugar. I take four times a day. This is the one that did it for me I am certain and info is all over the web on it.

Magnesium- 500 mg per day- calms the body and the brain while stabilizing glucose levels which can wildly fluctuate when a person is binge eating. When magnesium levels are stable, cravings decrease. I take a calcium supplement with magnesium in it. So, I was covered.

Zinc- helps to regulate appetite. I take a Walmart version 4 times a day.

5-HTP- 200 mg per day in the evening. The precursor to serotonin will suppress your appetite and relax you to take the anxiety away from the binge. I don't know about this for sure, yet it does help the mood. I take it morning and night. I find that it helps the depressed type feeling and moods that can also trigger binging. Yet, you don't feel drugged or not yourself like a prescription for anti-depressants.

* L-Glutamine- 500-1000 mg 3 times per day. When you are having a strong sugar craving, take 500 mg of L-Glutamine or open a capsule and put the powder on your tongue. L-glutamine is an amino acid that is converted into food for the brain.

*L-Phenylalanie- is an essential amino acid that turns into a neurotransmitter in the brain. These neurotransmitters provide feelings of joy, ambition, alertness, and reduce hunger. Phenylalanine has been used in cases of depression, replacing antidepressants very successfully. **this is another must for me.

But, what I found works the MOST and the binge cravings totally stopped, was the Chromium and L-Phenylalanie. Remember the diet med Phen/Fhen? the L-Phenylalanie is the natural amino acid that helps the brain regulate hunger and food cravings it signals to the brain to stop eating the stomach is full. It isn't a diet pill, just an amino acid. Its fairly cheap too. The two of these are the ones I would take if I had to pick just two out of what I take because I know how I felt before I started, and how strong I feel now.

I started at 500 mg of the chromium morning and night. I now take it 4 times a day, 1000 mg at a time. Within the first week I suddenly realized that I hadn't binged at all, had no craving to. I even tried the theory out by eating normal binge trigger food, cupcakes. Nothing. I ate it and nothing. It was just "food".

I have found that i no longer plan on when I can binge, where I'm going to get my food, or fantasize over what food I have hidden, mouth watering etc. There is nothing there. I have been taking this for a month now and dealt with every day issues, and big events, that would have sent me over the edge and binge. This chromium is the one supplement I wont be without ever. Its cheap enough to try at walmart. I order it now online at Vita cost and get the 1000 mg doze. Its less than $5 a bottle. Give it a try. It worked for me, thats all there is to it. I had tried therapy and medications for years, nothing ever worked that need or want to binge was always there..I was just drugged, but it was still there.

The article focused mainly on chromium, Zinc, and b complex. I had read about the 5-hpt somewhere else. I didn't find it helped by itself for binging, but it helped me emotionally. My husband noticed within a week that I was happy again.

I take all of these every day along with a regular vit. I take it like clockwork. At first I thought it might be a placebo effect,but its just been too long, and I feel too in control. I know the physical difference I felt before I took the chromium, all bingers know that feeling and mental state you carry around with you all the time..its gone, totally. I'm not chained to food at all. I don't obsess over it and it (food) doesn't provide that physical or mental high anymore either.

The other amino acid I take with the Chromium is L-Phenylalainie. I have yet to find it in a store and order it online as well. It is WAY cheaper online than in GNC or Walgreens. it is an amino acid as well. It seems as if the chromium and l-phenylalanine work well together. I wont be without the ones I put a * by. I heard that the zinc also helps process these. If you google them you will find that they are recommend for eating disorders and thats what full blown binge eating is.

Last edited by mainecyn : Thu, May-23-13 at 13:37.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 16:58

Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Thank you for that information, it's fantastic to read about how it has helped you.

Where did you find out about the supplement helping?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 17:15

I googled treatments for binge eating and pages of info came up. I have tried everything under the sun to help control binge eating, nothing helped. I was desperate and willing to try anything. There were articles from the Mayo clinic, several eating disorder treatment places,sites talking about binge eating and treatment, etc.I read numerous articles from medical journals and articles/blogs from those under treatment.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 17:58

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
My husband doesn't know I suffer from binge eating even though it is something I have always had

Thanks for the vitamin information. I wish I had known about that during my 40 years of bingeing and purging. I only stopped by quitting sugar and starch. It is pure, unadulterated fear of going back there that keeps me eating cleanly 95% of the time. The other 5% is a huge risk for me. Literally every time I nibble on something sugary or grainy I wonder if this will be the end of the freedom from bingeing I've enjoyed for the past 2 years.

What you said about your husband not knowing rang a bell with me. A few years ago, before low carb, I admitted to my best friend/former boyfriend that I was bulimic because I knew I really needed help. It took a lot of courage to finally tell someone. I was absolutely shocked at his reaction. He flat out did not believe me and kind of blew it off. I crawled back into my shell and never wanted to talk about it again. Then he started living with a girl who had the same problem. This time he had to believe it because he caught her purging. Then, and only then, did he believe me - and asked me for advice! I guess the point I'm making is that it's surprising how cleverly people can cover their tracks if they don't dare or are too ashamed to ask for help. That, of course, is the great danger of these disorders.

Thank goodness you were able to find an answer through google. I am so happy for you and totally empathise with the wonderful freedom and feeling of control that you now have. Congratulations to you!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 18:05

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/245.4/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi Cyn!

I REALLY appreciated that in-depth post above, so I just wanted to say THANK YOU, for taking the time to write it out!

I have been taking 400mg of chromium 2x a day (but sometimes I forget and its only once).... for about a week again.

You have inspired me to add my zinc back in again... and I wasn't familiar with L-Phenylalanie at all.

I also haven't had L-Glutamine in my cupboard for years. I have seen SMALL, tiny, tiny changes from the GTF chromium... but you have inspired me to add in the other 2 again... and to feel confident in raising my chromium dose a bit. I KNEW I needed more, I could FEEL it in my body.... I just hadn't had a chance to research yet how much it should be... and I read that they sub people on metformin onto 1000mg of chromium instead. So I started with 800mg, split into 2.

I am SO happy, to have read your post. And also how very much it has helped you.

HUGS, Cyn!!!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 18:22

BF:

Thanks so much for the info. And I'm so glad that this is working out of you!! I'm printing this out so I can start researching some of this stuff.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 05:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
Binging went from something I did occasionally to release stress or when the mood stuck me, to daily.

I am so happy for you that the supplements turned off this bunch of switches. I was lucky that when I got away from a very stressful situation I was able to resolve my own binge/starve cycle.

It occurred to me that the very foods we tear into for bingeing contribute to the malnutrition that triggers it. Wheat and sugar both have effects on micronutrients, like the phytates in grains keep them from being absorbed, and the way sugar "uses up" Vitamin C.

Before these foods were so readily and cheaply available, there also wasn't enough of them to create the illness that drives us to consume them!