Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-13, 12:09
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Oven-Roasted Garlic Duck

This was my dinner last night, along with a side of steamed broccoli and broiled tomatoes:
It was quite DELICIOUS and ever so tender!
I just love duck and we tried a new marinade tonight on the baby in the pic. I was originally planning to have it smoked, but I could tell my husband didn’t want to fool with lighting up the grill tonight (he did some yard work today), so I oven roasted it instead. It came out delicious! So I’ll share the marinate/sauce I made for this bird with my readers. This VERY nutritious recipe (check out the stats below!) is suitable for all phases of Atkins (using broth rather than wine for Induction) and is suitable for Paleo-Primal followers as well if broth is used rather than wine.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. white wine (use chicken broth if on Induction or Paleo-Primal)
4 T. my Lemon-Parsley-Garlic Butter seen here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/0...-garlic-butter/
2 cloves. garlic, minced (I think more would be even better!)
Dash each: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
1 whole 5-lb duck, neck and giblets removed for other use

DIRECTIONS: Remove neck and giblets from duck and save for other uses. My dog usually gets the giblets and neck meat, but the neck will make great stock if you want to add it to the carcass bones after dinner in a pot of water with chopped onion and carrot. Makes great soups! Butterfly the duck by cutting up the backbone and spreading it out in a marinating dish. Add wine (or broth), minced garlic and other spices. Marinate covered in plastic on your refrigerator shelf for 2-4 hours, turning and basting again with a basting brush 1-2 times. You’ll need to allow about 2 hours to cook a 5# duck to internal temperature of 180º. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375º. Remove duck from refrigerator and lift out of the marinating dish. Pour marinade off into a small saucepan. Add compound butter and simmer for 5 minutes or so to allow raw duck juices to fully cook. Place duck skin side up in a large baking pan, baste with marinade and pop in hot oven. Using a basting brush, baste duck with marinade and pan juices every half hour. At 1 hour cooking, remove duck and cover wing tips and leg tips with small pieces of foil so they will not over brown/burn. Pop pan back into oven, lower oven to 350º and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour longer (ovens will vary), or until a meat thermometer reads 180º at center thigh and center breast. Serve at once with your favorite sides for fowl. I served mine with steamed broccoli and broiled tomatoes. If I had char-grilled the duck, as originally planned, I was going to grill some fresh pineapple slices to go with it. Mmmm. How I DOOOOOOOO love grilled pineapple!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

791 calories
65.3 g fat
2.4 g carbs, .2 g fiber, 2.20 g NET CARBS
36.4 g protein
485 mg sodium
446 mg potassium
23% RDA Vitamin A, 45% B6, 44% B12, 48% copper, 66% iron, 11% magnesium, 66% niacin, 44% phosphorous, 47% riboflavin, 69% selenium, 30% thiamin and 45% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-13, 16:56

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

You make my mouth water even when I'm so full I can't eat another bit.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-13, 18:36
Patience Personified

It was so good. I saved all the fatty skin pieces and rendered them for the fat (I store it in the freezer in a ziploc bag for soups and Cajun foods) and ate the "crispies" for a snack. Mmmm. And man, oh, man, did the carcass bones and neck ever make fantastic stock for soups (I just added 1/2 ch. onion). I simmered covered for 1 hour. I'm thinking maybe duck, lentil soup? or duck soy black bean soup.

Last edited by Buttoni : Tue, Mar-26-13 at 19:01.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229.6/176.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I love duck and so does my man. I've never been brave enough to make it at home though, which is weird since I'm generally fearless in the kitchen!

I'll have to try this soon. :-) Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 07:15
Patience Personified

It's as easy to do at home as roasting a chicken IMO, whether in the oven or on the grill. I love the stuff, too. Hope you like this. I have another duck recipe on my website you might like to try some time, too. It was my Dad's favorite: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...ated-wild-duck/
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229.6/176.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks! That one sounds delicious too!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 13:57
Patience Personified