Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 12:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Welcome back, here's what happened on Nov 6th 2011

Thanks for your patience. We've been back online for about 20 hours or so, and you folks have been extremely patient and supportive. We seem to have brought all our tools backs and things look stable. But if you notice anything not working, please report it.

Here's a summary of what happened. We've scheduled a replacement for a faulty disk and the time announced for that was shifted due to delays in availability. That disk drive is the primary boot drive. The procedure would have required a couple of hours only, as was announced, and scheduled for early morning to lessen the impact. We've also installed a new drive to have as primary, and planned to copy the old drive content to it. The screw up was two fold: 1. The old primary drive just become unusable and cannot be copied confidently. 2. The copy was not made onto the new drive, but to our database drive. Hence, we lost everything from the bad drive and the good drive, and the new drive remained empty. Don't want to blame any of the host/support staff that helped us. Ticket systems and shifts can cause such misunderstanding and it just happened.

This could have been fixed in less than 24 hours, by rebuilding the system from scratch, then restoring from our daily backups, but that would result in loss of any posts on Nov 6th (between daily backups), so we've tried a few tricks, resulting in the loss of a full day, and due to accidentally copying onto the database server with a reformat, there was no way of recovering Nov 6th data. So we then went to the building from scratch solution, which was difficult due to our heavily customized and outdated forum software (myplan, gallery, etc), so had to search for old OS/server software versions compatible with our software. Once the system was rebuilt and setup, we started restoring our data and testing it.

That's basically what happened Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 17:17

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Too complicated for me to fully understand, but it sounds like you have worked long and hard at trying to get things fixed and I heartily appreciate it!

Thank you for this wonderful resource and all you all do to keep it going!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 18:42

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Thanks for the update Wa'il and for all you do to keep us up and running. This really made me realize how much I count on all my friends and LC "family" for day to day exchange of ideas and recipes plus, of course, support!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-11, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Thanks for getting it back up. I am noticing that I have to try several times before I can open threads. It says unable, or not available. Is this part of the symptoms and will that go away?

Donna
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-11, 08:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
Thanks for getting it back up. I am noticing that I have to try several times before I can open threads. It says unable, or not available. Is this part of the symptoms and will that go away?

Next time it happens, please note the time it occured and post the exact text of the message, plus your browser details.

There is a daily time window where things will be slow down for daily backup, which is around 2-4 am CSTand the system maybe none responsive or slow, and may spit out some error messages.

But other than that, it should be o.k. now, as far as I know.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-11, 08:48

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Hooray!

I started back on atkins on tuesday and was horrified to find only cached pages of the forum were available.
I didn't know how I would be able to manage without all the valuable information, recipes and support that I used to have.

Thank you so much to everyone who helps keep the forum going.