Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 19:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/144/115 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress:
Question Occasional Binge, how to get rid of it?

About 5 years ago, I've managed to lose about 30 pounds and then developed a severe eating disorder- bulimia.

Over the years, I've gain back all the weight and put on some more...

These two years, I can manage to be peaceful with my ED, usually binge 1 day per week, sometimes may be more. Sometimes, I can purge up after that but sometimes cannot. I used to be addicted to laxative but since I realized the danger of its abuse, I've reduced the dosage of it. I'll take laxatives only when the constipation are so severe.

Three months ago I decided to make a change. I've tried several times of atkins introduction phase, but always "slip away". Fortunately, I've managed to lose about 10 lbs and have a size down in my clothes.
Now, I sometimes take a low calorie and low Glycemic Index diet (my blood sugar will flucturate a lot if I take high carb, high GI food), and sometimes take a low carb diet. Although I have a cycle of binge, my weight may flucturate a lot but may not go too far, and can drop down after 2-3 days of normal diet.

The problem is, I want to get rid of another 15lbs, but if I still have the problem of binge, I'm afraid I'll never reach my goal.

Have someone experience the same problems? Is there solutions to that?

I've heard that some sweeteners in diet soda may trigger one's appetite, and I always drink diet soda all the times...It may be part of the reasons for my binge, I think. But I don't know how to change it.

Sometimes, I just want something to "refresh", and sometimes when I'm thirsty, I just don't want to drink the plain water but want some flavored drink, and the carbonate water does both the jobs for me...Do your guys have any idea about that? Thanks!

PS, Now when I binge, I usually binge on cheese, nuts, peanut butter, even meat... and in little cases, binge on high carb junk... The benefits of low carb binge is, I can remain stuff for a longer time, without heartburn or low in blood sugar (which always come after a high carb binge...).

Last edited by smilekiss : Mon, Dec-13-10 at 21:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 00:20

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome! First of all, I surely believe that eating low carb seems to curb sugar cravings or at least decrease them and help people get control over their negative eating patterns as well as to achieve a healthy weight. That being said, I don't think it cures eating disorders or the binges associated with them...certainly not the purging behaviors...because we know that eating disorders are not simply a weight problem. They are highly complex and are deeply rooted or ingrained in people and often orginate from issues outside of eating or weight. If you haven't seen a counselor/therapist, please consider it! Also, there are many ED therapy groups that provide support and professional guidance on this journey. Your local physician can usually refer you and in most cases, insurance covers the cost of treatment. You will meet others who understand what you are going through and those who have been successful in their treatment. Good luck and welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 06:48

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I would also consider keeping a food diary to see what your triggers might be. It could be food, it could be emotions, you won't know unless you pay close attention. Low carb has helped me immensely with my cravings and binges. Keep at it, you will be happy with the results!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Hey, I've been there. I was a binge/starve person.

Why do you binge?

Sit down with a big sheet of paper; a crayon helps because we can't erase it. Write down all the reasons you binge.

Why did I do it? I was stuffing myself to keep from feeling things.

It's that simple. And that hard.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 14:52

Plan: 5:2 modified South Beach
Stats: 148.6/145.6/114 Female 5'2.5"
BF:43% Accu-Measure
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilekiss
The benefits of low carb binge is, I can remain stuff for a longer time, without heartburn or low in blood sugar (which always come after a high carb binge...).

I know what you're saying. I have binged on nuts, cream cheese and whipping cream. I also agree that a binge on these things is nowhere near as bad as a sugar binge and for me usually begins and ends with that binge, whereas with sugar I could binge for days (sickening). I never purged just stuffed.

I think for me why I binge is because 1. I am bored and want stimulation and 2. I like that feeling of stuffing it in and feeling stuffed. I rarely binge when anyone else is around (too embarrassing and it seems to require being alone to be enjoyable).

I don't think it has anything to do with emotions or being upset but i think resolving this problem is at the root of my weight problem. It is not a severe problem but enough to make me want to solve it. I had been to a counselor years ago for this but it was basically of no help. She advocated Geneen Roth and her books and all I got out of them is eat whatever you want, whenever you want and learn to recognize when you are full and stop there. But maybe I should revisit the books if only because there may be some wisdom there that at the time I wasn't ready to take in.

I had started a thread about "Fear of Success" and I think the binges may be a way of self-sabotage (unconscious of course) which prevents me from having to deal with the fear of success.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/147/110 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

I agree that you need to figure out the emotional trigger of your binges. Try and think way back when your eating disorder first started and remember how you felt then, what were your emotions, were you depressed or sad over anything? Many factors can trigger emotional eating: boredom, stress, depression, anxiety. Try and analyze you feelings and you'll get to the bottom of this.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 06:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've come to believe the reason emotions can trigger emotional eating is the exact same reason that emotions can trigger emotional drinking.

It is a drug.

The kinds of foods we crave when bingeing have a sedative effect on our brain; it ups serotonin, the same way anti-depressant drugs like Prozac work. Over time, we train our brain to expect to be soothed with a binge; even if we are no longer eating binge foods!

The answer, just as with alcohol, is to fix the underlying emotional problem.

"Dry drunks" are a phenomena where people don't drink any more; but they also don't solve their problems and are constantly tormented and tempted to go back to their old, bad, ways of dealing with things. Likewise, we can continue to be tormented by binge temptations until we solve the problem; not smother it with food.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 08:56
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

You've admitted to having an eating disorder, but I think you need to think seriously about your weight loss goals.

According to your stats you're a healthy weight, and your goal weight is an unhealthy weight.

For someone with your issues you may be better trying to just eat healthy lowish carb, and concentrate on getting in control of your food issues and eating disorders, rather than aspiring to an unrealistic and unhealthy body weight.

You may not want to hear this, but attempting to lose weight - for you - may exacerbate your eating disorders.

Lee