Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/188/150 Female 66
BF:39
Progress: 16%
Default Anyone in Chicago?

I live in the city and was looking for someone to perhaps meet up with and share a lowcarb meal. Having a friend that is supportive and living the same lifestyle would be great.

Let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:48

Plan: none - just eating low carb
Stats: 230/217/150
BF:
Default Hi

Well although I am not from Chicago but.. not too far I think that would be cool.. I live in Lockport for the past 2 months..

I am on my own with this low carbing life style and I am going bonkers. Its will be a month the 13th that I am on this.. Please feel free contact me.. maybe we can hook up for a low carb beer or something..

Anna
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:44
Registered Member

Stats: 195/188/150 Female 66
BF:39

Well, it is nice to hear from you! I didn't think anyone was ever going to reply!

Anna, how far is Lockport? I have heard of it, but I have never been there.

So, you have been doing this for 13 months - that is amazing! How much weight have you lost? I have only been doing it since new year's, and I have only lost 9 pounds. I lost 10 doing low fat, and the following 9 doing low carb. I have about 20-25 pounds to go.

I am following atkins. I just joined a gym, so hopefully that will take the inches off sooner.

Let me know what you are up to!
Meg
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 19:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/159/145
BF:25
Progress: 66%
Smile I,m in Chicago

Hi,

I am new to this site, and I live in chgo!!!! I would love to chat about this WOE. I have found some great places to eat and shop, but I'm always looking for more.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:23

Stats: 190/190/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Work in Chicago

I don't live in Chicago but work downtown and would love to get together for coffee or lunch.
It's great to have support and someone to discuss ups and downs with.
Let me know if either of you would like to get together
I am just starting Atkins so it would be a great time.

Jeane
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 12:06

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

I live in Lake Bluff -- north of Chicago about 35 miles.
Near Lake Forest.

Do you live in the City?

Thanks for asking the question.

ATM
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 10:55

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

From Schaumburg but visit the City (Logan Sqaure/Bucktown area) frequently... Favorite restaurant is RUTH'S CHRIS STEAKHOUSE on Dearborn (pricey but oh so worth it). Favorite fast food down there is CENTRAL GYROS on Central, near Belmont; PHILLY'S BEST on Belmont near Clark; and ATHENIAN ROOM (best, best, best Gyros Salad) in Lincoln Park.

Best lc groceries WHOLE FOODS.

Ever go out to Woodfied and want to eat lc? Check out RED ROBIN burgers and get the lettuce wrapped burger.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 08:31

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi,
I dont live anywhere near Chicago and hope you dont mind me asking some questions of you natives on this thread. My husband and I are thinking of going to Chicago next January to try to see a taping of Oprah to celebrate my 40th birthday. Any advice to someone who has never been to the area? THanks so much!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 10:19

BF:

Hi Donnie!

First of all, January is probably not the best time to visit Chicago, if you can help it... it's very cold, very windy, and did I mention cold? Brrrrrrr.

Also, do you have tix to Oprah already. I FINALLY was able to get tix last month at the last minute... they're sooo hard to get! GL!

So, if you do come, there's sooooooo much to see: Sears Tower (of course), Hancock building, Art Institute and museums, Water Tower Place, the lakefront, etc, etc, etc. It's not as exciting (I don't think) as NY as Chi-town DOES sleep! But, it really is a great, great city!

Are you looking for specifics to do/see? Places to eat? It's all down there. I know when I went to NYC I checked out and got a lot of info off the web at engines like google.com and citysearch.com.

Did that help at ALL? Lemme know.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 12:05

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Christina! Thanks for the reply. I dont have tickets to the show yet. We just started talking about it this weekend and my birthday is in January so that is why we were thinking of then. I didnt think about the weather. We could always go later. I guess it all depends if/when we can get tickets! My husband mentioned going later also so we could maybe catch some spring training. Guess I will work on getting tickets and then plan around that. Thanks!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 01:45
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by superaunt
From Schaumburg but visit the City (Logan Sqaure/Bucktown area) frequently... Favorite restaurant is RUTH'S CHRIS STEAKHOUSE on Dearborn (pricey but oh so worth it).

While Morton's and Gibson's are two of the big names, I personally really like Carmichael's...have you ever been? If so, how does it compare to Ruth's?

I'm also in Chicago BTW.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 07:56

BF:

Wow!! There's someone from Chicago in this thread again! Welcome.

Never heard of Carmichael's.. .where's it at? I love me some steak and am always searching for a good one... but honestly, I've been to Morton's, Gibson's, Chicago's Prime (in schaumburg), etc and NOTHING compares to Ruth's. Man, if you haven't tried it, I HIGHLY recommend it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's downtown-ish, a few blocks (maybe a mile?) from the United Center, towards downtown. Sorry I can't do better than that, I've never been the one driving so I didn't pay too much attention to where it was. Here's the link. You might need to ask for it now since I don't think they list it on the menu, but they did have a garlic-plugged cheese-topped (parmesan? bleu? it's been a while) steak, and while I normally like plain steak, this is just awesome. Also, they have the small, thin asparaus which I prefer.

Actually, on the topic of crusts I think that Wildfire has some decent ones as well. They're out by you, but I'm guessing you've been there already.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 08:32

BF:

ooh yeah - forget about Wildfire! There's one in the city, too. Down near Fogo De Chao??? Been there (Fogo)??? I HIGHLY recommend it, too. Of course, Ruth's is by far my all time fav, but Fogo is awesome -- it's brazilian so they have the gracho guys walking around with these huge spears of meat. It's great for those of us on atkins! But yeah, I like Wildfire, too! But Ruth's. Man you've GOT to try it out -- they serve their steaks on the hottest plate of sizzling butter!!!! Heaven, I say.