Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-17, 12:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Sugar Free Farm: 7 Celebrities Quit Sugar And Find It’s No Piece Of Cake

Tonight on British TV channel, ITV, at 9:00pm

Quote:
ITV’s ‘Sugar Free Farm’: 7 Celebrities Quit Sugar And Find It’s No Piece Of Cake

‘Sugar Free Farm’ is back on TV screens, starring seven new celebrities who are forced to go cold turkey on sugar.

TOWIE’s Gemma Collins, comedian Joe Pasquale and politician Ann Widdecombe are among those who have agreed to turn their backs on their unhealthy diets in favour of hard labour and natural, wholesome food.

While the show is an amusing watch (after all, what could be more fun than watching irritable celebs feed pigs while on a sugar comedown?), it is also a glaring reminder of the problem our nation faces.

Currently, adults and children in the UK consume more than double the recommended amount of sugar on a daily basis, while teenagers triple that figure.

Meanwhile diet-related illnesses such as Type 2 diabetes are on the rise. Over three million people are living with diabetes in England alone and it’s now reported to be the fastest-growing health threat facing our nation.

In the first episode, which airs on 10 January, Joe Pasquale reveals that he wants to kick his sugar habit because so many people, including his father, have Type 2 diabetes - and he doesn’t want to end up joining them.

He is later shocked to discover that in a year alone, he consumes 16,000 teaspoons of sugar.

Other celebrities attending this year’s ‘Sugar Free Farm’ include Peter Davison (who played Dr Who between 1981 and 1984), father-son entertainment duo Stavros Flatley and TV presenter Alison Hammond - who eats a staggering 666 chocolate bars in a year.

All of the celebs face the shock of a lifetime when they are told they will not be allowed to eat sugar, honey, syrup, sweets, chocolate, fruit, jam, refined carbohydrates, processed foods, biscuits, cakes, low fat products, fizzy drinks, caffeine, cordial, alcohol and fruit juice, during their stay.

After being handed the list of what she’s not allowed to eat, Gemma Collins looks flabbergasted. “Do you know what? This is my diet that I eat pretty much every day,” she exclaims. “How am I going to survive?”

But, as the farm’s resident nutritionist puts it: “Sugar Free Farm is not about dieting, it’s a complete lifestyle change.”

Breakfasts on the farm consist of healthy dishes like sweet potato, cinnamon granola and green smoothies - much to everyone’s dismay. Dinner, meanwhile, consists of carb-free spaghetti bolognese, using spiralised courgette.

As the first day wears on, all of the contestants become cold, tired and irritable. Who knows what they’ll do next?
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...4b0961f09392af2

Quote:
Sugar Free Farm

“My honest view is this is far more trouble than it’s worth…this is work for the leisured quite honestly, or for the enthusiastic. It isn’t work for the single girl wanting to get on with her life.” Ann Widdecombe

Sugar Free Farm is back, following a brand new cast of famous faces as they turn their backs on their unhealthy diets and lifestyles and embrace long gruelling days of farm work in return for a diet of natural wholesome food. This year things are tougher as they'll be spending even longer on the farm - going cold turkey from sugar, refined carbohydrates, bad fats and unhealthy, cheap, meat. But will cutting out the rubbish prove to be too much for some? Or will it make life sweeter than ever?

Stepping up to the sugar free plate include actor Peter Davison, former Conservative Party MP Ann Widdecombe, comedian Joe Pasquale, showbiz reporter Alison Hammond, TOWIE’s Gemma Collins and Britain’s Got Talent finalists, Stavros Flatley.

Tucked away in the rolling Hampshire countryside, the seven sugar-loving stars will turn their backs on their unhealthy lifestyles and embrace long gruelling days of farm work in exchange for only natural, wholesome food. Over the course of the 15-day challenge, the famous farmhands will find themselves either working on the farm or based in the kitchen preparing and cooking the healthy sugar free meals for the whole group to enjoy.

It’s the first episode, and upon arriving at the farm, reality star Gemma says, “My lifestyle is out of control. The amount of money I spend on takeaways, I could probably buy a house by now.”

Much loved comedian and King of the Jungle Joe adds, “The reason for doing this is there are so many people out there who are Type 2 diabetics and they don’t know they are and I don’t want to end up as that person.”

Keeping a tight rein on the farmhands, as well as providing the healthy recipes to fuel the group, is the show’s new nutritionist Hala El-Shafie who warns, “Sugar Free Farm is not about dieting, it’s a complete lifestyle change. It’s tough and it’s about to get a whole lot tougher.”

As the celebrities adjust to their new lives down on the farm, where they are tasked with fattening up the pigs, removing the fencing from an old animal enclosure, spreading muck, harvesting courgettes and lettuce planting, amongst other duties, tempers start to fray and the lack of sugar starts taking its toll on their bodies.

A fed up Ann declares, “My honest view is this is far more trouble than it’s worth…this is work for the leisured quite honestly, or for the enthusiastic. It isn’t work for the single girl wanting to get on with her life.”

Over in the farmhouse kitchen, Alison prepares a sugar free farm dinner with a difference: spaghetti bolognese using that morning’s freshly picked courgettes.

The famous farmhands will need all the energy they can get as, after their nutritious meal, they are helping at the farm’s annual sheep shearing. First to volunteer is Ann, who has a go at herding the flock into the sheep pen: “If anybody ever asks was it worth doing a fortnight without sugar? For that experience of herding the sheep…yes!”

Whilst Stavros Flatley Junior, Lagi, puts his qualified barber skills to good use and gets stuck into shearing the sheep, back on the farm, Dr Who actor Peter’s health takes a turn for the worse with paramedics being called. When word reaches the group, they are shaken by the news.

The first three days have been tough, working hard whilst adjusting to a brand new diet, so how will they fare over the next 12 days?

Though a positive Alison reveals, “I’m really getting into this. Forget chocolate man, bring on the basil!”

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week2/sugar-free-farm

Hala El-Shafie's website:
http://halael-shafie.co.uk/#intro
Sponsored Links