Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 12:24

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default The Benefits of Hors d'oeuvres

I find that intermittent fasting is really helping me with my weight loss so most days I'm down to just one meal a day and I make it dinner with my wife. I want it to be low carb but also nutritious and to not be boring.

All the various hors d'oeuvre recipes has been a great answer for me, I make an entire meal using various recipes. For example, I found this cool recipe thick cucumber slices with the seed section hollowed out on one side filled with a mixture of cream cheese, a small amount of ranch dressing and a dab of fresh dill or fresh dill paste and then half cherry tomato stuck on top. Beautiful and tasty! I make a dozen of those and put six on each plate.

Also I make stuffed mushrooms, and there are zillions of low carb recipes. The other night I used this Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb cheese. Its a soft spreadable cheese I used to stuff the mushroom caps after removing the stems and then rolled the top in crushed pork rinds. Bake at 350 till done or about 30 minutes. I made about a dozen of these and gave us six each, (I used small baby mushroms).

In the oven with the srhooms I also baked 4 small jalapenos, split down the middle into little boats and stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, pork sausage and parmesan cheese, (8 pieces total).

Bacon is another thing that is great for hors d'oeuvres. Bacon wrapped water chestnuts or chicken livers are great.

Anyways, you get the idea. I divide all this up on plates for myself and my wife and its a lot of different flavors and kinds of food in one meal. It looks great on the plate. I serve it up with ice cold diet Mtn Dew in wine glasses with ice and a little sugar free gelatin dish on the side, (mixed with low carb whip cream or cream or cottage cheese - lots of stuff you can do with the flavored gelatin too) - and wow - it's a freaking great meal and under 20 carbs!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 15:47

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Great thread. It's intersting when we start thinking out of the box.

One other idea is to stop naming meals breakfast, lunch or dinner. When you start thinking of them just as generic meals it opens the doors to eating anything LC any time of day.. I often eat leftover dinner, or soup or stew for breakfast. Protein, healthy veg and fat can happen anytime.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 15:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinmount
Great thread. It's intersting when we start thinking out of the box.

The other thing is that I am starting now to ENJOY my food now MORE than before I started low carb. Before I think I sorta took eating for granted and just shoved food in my face when ever I felt like it, often just out of boredom.

Now I look forward to that one meal and I take my time planning & preparing every morsel with care and then take my time eating, tasting and enjoying it.

I'm really having a good time with this. I'm getting used to and falling in love with this WOE!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 22:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

One appetizer that is good is as follows.

One slice of favorite deli meat.
Put a thin layer of cream cheese.
Sprinkle with diced/chopped green onions.
Roll up and make slices that look like sushi.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 04:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In the same vein are "Keto Plates", a new series from DietDoctor. I buy the assorted Italian and Spanish meats packages at Costco for tapas/antipasto type plates, and also smoked salmon, to make basic "meat and leaves" on a small plate.
Great ideas here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...lates&st=recipe
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 10:15

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
One appetizer that is good is as follows.

One slice of favorite deli meat.
Put a thin layer of cream cheese.
Sprinkle with diced/chopped green onions.
Roll up and make slices that look like sushi.

I do that with ham & pickled asparagus - a favorite of ours. But I serve it whole - good finger food.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 17:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I do that with ham & pickled asparagus - a favorite of ours. But I serve it whole - good finger food.

Yummy..with pickled asparagus!

I've also made it with a pickle spear but it was still too thick so I sliced it half the thickness. I really like it with Boars Head deli corned beef sliced paper thin.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 19:16

BF:

Boy all this stuff sounds good. I'm gona have to try them. Those Keto Plates look pretty good too. I also use the avocado slices and usually drizzle just a bit of French dressing on them since both my wife and I like it that way.

Eggs also can be jazzed up. I have done spicy deviled eggs and I plan to try them jazzed up with stuff like smoked salmon, bacon, avocado etc - there are some interesting recipes for hors d'oeuvres using eggs.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 19:19

BF:

Quote:
Yummy..with pickled asparagus!

I've also made it with a pickle spear but it was still too thick so I sliced it half the thickness. I really like it with Boars Head deli corned beef sliced paper thin.

I remember someone telling me to try wrapping bacon around a dill pickle spear and roasting it - something I've been meaning to try
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 19:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I remember someone telling me to try wrapping bacon around a dill pickle spear and roasting it - something I've been meaning to try

I tried a hard-cooked egg with cream cheese subbing for half the yolk, wrapped in bacon & baked. Not worth the trouble. But a hard-cooked egg cut in half, fried in bacon fat & served with the bacon is very good & no trouble at all.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 20:24

BF:

I think my most favorite roasted appetizer is the half of a Jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese and then wrapped with 1 whole slice of bacon. I use a cast iron skillet and either cook them on the stove or put the skillet in the oven.
I have to say that I usually buy them all made up at a store called HEB. don't know if you have that store where you all live but it's a real time saver and no fooling around with hot pepper juice on your hands. But you can make them for half the price of the premade.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 20:34

BF:

Quote:
I think my most favorite roasted appetizer is the half of a Jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese and then wrapped with 1 whole slice of bacon. I use a cast iron skillet and either cook them on the stove or put the skillet in the oven.
I have to say that I usually buy them all made up at a store called HEB. don't know if you have that store where you all live but it's a real time saver and no fooling around with hot pepper juice on your hands. But you can make them for half the price of the premade.

I LOVE those. But the only time I saw them made by someone else, they were breaded & deep-fried. Not to mention tiny. I'll keep making my own - when I get around to it. It is worky.

I just noticed you're in Texas - my daughter loves HEB. She's going to miss it when she moves back to the PNW.

Last edited by Bonnie OFS : Tue, Oct-10-17 at 20:36. Reason: add
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 20:39

BF:

I love that store, HEB too!
That's where I get my best deals on bacon. Sometimes I can get it for $2.99 per pound. I buy 10 at a time and freeze them.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-17, 10:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I love to make little grazing plates- it's my lunch almost everyday.

A few more dinner appetizer ideas:
Shrimp cocktail, or steamed shrimp
Bacon wrapped scallops or shrimp
Mini crab cakes
Meatballs- I use at apricot jam to make a sweet glaze for chicken meatball
Fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil skewer
Mini bell peppers are great to halve and stuff with chicken salad, shrimp salad, a dip like guacamole or baba gnoiush......
Cucumber rounds with cream cheese and smoked salmon
Crackers made from almond flour, cheese, flax, coconut or dehydrated vegetables.....
Raw veggies and nice dip like spinach or artichoke, cooked and chilled asparagus or green beans are also good for dipping
A small bowl of pickled veggies
Olives or marinated mushrooms
A cheese or near plate....

Check out the appetizer recipe fkrum. You will find endless ideas!