Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 22:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Dulce de Leche

This is milk turned into candy. So incredibly decadent. The milk gets thick has has caramel flavors.

What you need.

A slow-cooker.
Ball jars with very tight fitting lids. I use the one cup jars so far. I can get 5 of them in my slow-cooker, it might work with the 2 cup jars also.

LC Condensed Milk:
1 Can of Evaporated milk
1/2 Cup of dry milk
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 Cup of Erythritol
2 Tbl of Zylitol or use another sweetener

I believe you might need to use at least one sort of sugar alcohol to get this properly thickened, but I could be wrong. Erithrytol is the best of the lot because it shouldn't give you any side-effects.

Heat the milk in a bowl in the microwave and melt the butter in it. Make sure the milk gets very hot, but don't boil it. The heat will help to dissolve the dry milk.

Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about a minute. Pour into your ball jars. Leave some room at the top because it will expand. Put in your slow cooker and make sure the water comes up to the top of the milk line in the jars. You can even cover the top of the jars, but make sure your lids are good and tight, you don't want water inside the jars.

Cook for at least 4 hours, until brown, then let them cool in the fridge. I usually cook it on high for 4 hours, then let it sit on warm all night. Spoon it out and savor a rich, caramel-y custard. You can also use it as a sauce if you don't cook it so long.

I'm going to try mixing it into my next batch of LC brownies I'm going to make for Thanksgiving. http://svkitchen.com/?p=1199

Source for my inspiration: http://svkitchen.com/?p=604

Notes: If you end up with too much LC "Condensed milk" use in your coffee. It's really awesome.

I haven't calculated the carbs, I'm guessing it's not appropriate for induction.

There's lots of things I haven't tried yet, like using cream instead of evaporated milk/dry milk. I might try it using splenda instead of E. and Z. and even if it doesn't get custard-y, it'll still be amazing in coffee.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Nov-15-11 at 22:40.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 22:46

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Oh, wow. I saw your posts about this in the sous vide thread and I'm salivating.

Unfortunately, I think I have a serious problem with dairy. Nonetheless, I'm going to use that link to the original (high carb) version to give as Christmas presents to the neighbors. I've made cajeta (goat's milk carmel sauce) on the stovetop in the past and it was a huge hit. Do you think doing it in the water bath makes it better? It's probably easier and less messy in any case.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 22:59
Experimenter

BF:

It took a LONG time to get it done in the water bath, but googling I saw people do it in a bunch of different ways: Slow cooker, stove top, even the microwave.

I didn't see any real advantage to using the water bath.

Hmmm... your idea about xmas gifts is a good one!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 23:55

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

As for your idea of using cream, I think it might separate -- break, like mayonnaise -- with the butterfat rising to the top. Maybe not in the water bath.

Two other cheap Christmas gift ideas I came up with are jars of my favorite barbeque sauce recipe and jars of flavored salts. I have a link on my other computer for recipes that I haven't tried. One was citrus salt, another was lavender salt, a third was herby ... I can't remember them all. If you're interested, I'll find the link.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 08:19
Experimenter

BF:

You might be right, although you add 1/2 a stick of butter and melt it in the original recipe (DYI Condensed milk). It doesn't seem to separate as long as you process it long enough in the blender.

Oh yeah, can you stick those links in my Journal? Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 08:43

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
As for your idea of using cream, I think it might separate -- break, like mayonnaise -- with the butterfat rising to the top. Maybe not in the water bath.

Two other cheap Christmas gift ideas I came up with are jars of my favorite barbeque sauce recipe and jars of flavored salts. I have a link on my other computer for recipes that I haven't tried. One was citrus salt, another was lavender salt, a third was herby ... I can't remember them all. If you're interested, I'll find the link.

Yes, please?
TYVM.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 13:08

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

NancyLC,can I come be your taste tester,please,lol
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 18:10
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Wow, I had NO idea there was any LC approach to condensed milk. That's awesome! My kid is a caramel NUT. Even having a little bit of this to add to coffee or something would make her unbelievably happy. Thanks!!

PJ
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 19:54
Experimenter

BF:

When I have more LC Condensed milk than will fit in my ball jars for Dulce I use it in my coffee. It's incredibly lovely.

There's a recipe for condensed milk on packages of powered milk. Of course, I'd substitute splenda or E. (or whatever) for the sugar.

Something happens to the top 1/4" of the DdL and it is incredibly dense and amazing. The rest is good too, but the top part is amazing.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 22:18
Experimenter

BF:

I tried it with cream, enhanced with dry milk, but it just wouldn't caramelize. However, I also made a little using the condensed milk recipe on the side of the dry milk box and that one caramelized like crazy. I suspect the dry milk in the key, probably if I had added more to the cream it might have worked.

The condensed milk has a ton of dry milk in it.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Nov-23-11 at 22:25.