Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 07:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Insulin Resistant?

I have been on the Atkins diet since January 1st. I lost 6 pounds within the first two weeks. I have lost nothing since. I have given up caffeine, alcohol, sugarless gum, sugar and starch. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I eat some form of eggs for breakfast - sometimes with 4 breakfast sausage links. Lunch is usually tuna mixed with Hellman's mayo on a bed of lettuce or left over dinner. Dinner usually consists of chicken breast, pork chop, hamburger or steak along with a vegetable dish such as mashed cauliflower (with sour cream and butter), broccoli, grean beans. For a snack I have colby cheese and venison sausage or salami. I have cut back on the cheese intake because I think someone told me on here to not have more than 4 oz. of cheese a day. I am starting to think I am insulin resistant. I want to stay on this diet and believe that I am going to continue with this way of life - I am just disappointed at reading about everyone's success when I am moving slower than a snail! I do drink a lot of water throughout the day too. I am planning to buy the chromium pincolanate (sp) that he talked about in his book. Any other suggestions. I have read that if you have too much protein that it can cause your insulin to spike (just like sugar) - I haven't been watching the quantity of protein because I didn't think I had too. HELP!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 11:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Give it time. Generally people with a small amount of weight to lose don't have the same poundage loss as people who have a lot of weight to lose. You look like you're doing really well with eating.

If you go by percentages, you will see that you are on par with everyone else in your category.

If you have yo-yo dieted in the past, it may seem slower to start at first, but persistance will pay off. Have a look at Marlaine's Journal for some inspiration.

Keep motivated by how you feel, and not what the scales tell you. You are teaching yourself how to eat properly and this is for life!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 161/151/130
BF:
Progress: 32%

LaurieLou, You sound like a carbon copy of me! Your diet, weight loss goals, and the frustration with not seeing any results,etc. It took me almost a month to lose my first 5 lbs, and that was just this past week. The only thing I did different was stop the eggs. I thought maybe they were stalling me. I also cut down on the cheeses. We must have read the same posts, because everything you mentioned about reading, I had picked up also. I do use Chromium along with L-Cartitine, both of which are supposed to jump start a stubborn metabolism. The L-Cartitine is very expensive, tho. I was shocked. Wait for a buy 1 get 1 1/2 off deal at GNC for that. I also tried a method that I had picked up on a post by upping my carb intake(add extra veggies, etc). What I did was include potatoes and carrots with my meal one night and had a bowl of chex for breakfast the next morning. Some people think this shocks your metabolism. Well, it worked for me. I dropped my first 5 lbs a day later. Just make sure it is a moderate increase(no sweets, sorry). I may be losing slowly, but I do notice an amazing difference in the appearance of my midriff area. Whenever I hit a stall now, I may try this Reversal-type method. I have talked to many others here too that have had it work for them. I also thought that I was eating too much protein, so I stopped eating as much and I feel better. Make your salads more interesting and that helps alot. Don't give up, because you have already put so much work into getting where you are now. And feeling good is so worth it. I cheated yesterday(Valentine's Day). I took my mom out to lunch, had the salad bar like a good girl, then took a mozzarella stick from her and then a couple spoonfuls of her chocolate pudding(just a few), and within 10 min. I felt so sick and my stomach felt bloated and awful. I couldn't believe it. I was disgusted with myself, and that wasn't even a big cheat!! So, all the work you have done to get to this point is not worth giving up. And stay away from the scales for a few days. I obsessed with it and when I walked away, that is when it moved-like waiting for water to boil!! Good luck!!!
Jonee
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I found out (using a blood glucose tester) that this is what has been causing my weight stalls. And yes, they are stalls (they last 1-2 months). I am temporarily giving up on Diet drinks and low carb sweet treats, at least until I get to my goal. I was in ketosis every day, but found out my insulin was being released when I drank my diet pop.