Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 19:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Well ...

I suppose I should actually answer the question asked in this thread ...

When I low-carb (CKD), I am getting ready for summer or something special (publicity shots, etc.) so the activity level is WAY high ... cardio daily in am, heavy weights on Mondays, circuits on Wed & Fri, abs on Tues & Thurs, by week 4, its cardio in AM & PM ... with the occassional aforementioned basketball games once or twice a week as cross training/active recovery.

When I am bridging, it's heavy full body workouts on the weights 3x week, cardio ~ 30 mins 3 days per week, and some b-ball.
When it's a pre-season bridge, I will be doing drills to improve my basketball game, as well as plyometics to improve my pitiful vertical leap. I still avoid white flour products and limit my carb intake somewhat, protein is always high no matter how I am eating.

When I am bulking (off-season), HEAVY HEAVY weights 4x week, focusing on major power moves and developing/improving core strength, eating anything that I see, and basically do no cardio. The goal is to attain as much muscle mass as possible in a 6 to 8 week period.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 125/115/118120
BF:
Progress:
Default Weight

My weight should read 125lbs when I first started to 118lbs to my now present 115lbs.
I've been at 115 for a while now but I'm still shrinking. My waist now measures 25 inches. One more inch left to go!
I'm hoping to reach 118-120 through lean mass within the next few months.

I don't think I would of lost so quickly if:
- I hadn't changed my diet!
- Hadn't started aerobics
- Kept up with the weight training sessions!

Susie
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 15:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Weight

Quote:
Originally posted by Susie
My weight should read 125lbs when I first started to 118lbs to my now present 115lbs.

Ah, you can always update the numbers from the "Profile" icon on top. This way we (all) will lose some extra lbs in our total of 7000+

Wa'il
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 15:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Cool thanks Wa'il

I forgot to change mine ...... there, done ....... it's been sitting at 180 since forever ... nice to put some new digits there ..

Doreen
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 125/115/118120
BF:
Progress:
Default Doreen

Wow those numbers are impressive!
How long have you been at this? (it was probably in your profile and I overlooked it!)

Most people I know that want to lose, keep complaining they can't! Probably because of not being consistent or not following the diet properly or a mixture of both.

Keep up at it!
Susie
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 10:31

Plan:
Stats: 206/206/195
BF:
Progress:
Question Sarah, or any other, help

Ok, I just started the Atkins diet yesterday, and so far it's been easy. But I am a 19 year old powerlifter recovering from an injury. I have begun my prevoius workout schedule of lifting hard and heavy 6 days a week and running 25-30 miles a week. Since my back injury, I have about 20 lbs. of fat to lose. My question to ya'll is, do you think the Atkins diet will give me enough nutrients and energy to keep up with my workout regiment? I am taking Centrum multi-vitamins daily and I eat Protein Revolution bars (2.5 carbs per bar) and drinking protein shakes (0 carbs and 50 grams of protein) to help with the nutrition. Is that still gonna be enough for me?
Adam
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:37

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Adam-
You need to check out the CKD. There is an Exercise/CKD forum and there are some good informative posts in there. The CKD is low-carb during the week and carbing-up on weekends. (energy for your heavy lifting workouts). My boyfriend and I are starting the CKD again on Monday. He is a personal trainer and I am sure he'll have lots of info for you. I'll tell him to check out your post. In the meantime, check out the CKD forum.

Welcome aboard!!!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:39

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default sorry, it has been a long day!

OOPS!!! Didn't even realize your post was in the exercise forum Adam! Forgive me..... my brain turns to mush when I am at work!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/240/180
BF:
Default exercise

I spend between 2 1/2 to three hours a week doing cardiovaslcular activity each week at the gym 35 minutes 3 times a week on abs and legs, 40 minutes 2 times a week doing weight reistence training. That is my work out for each week. I have been on the Atkins diet since January 25, 2001 start weight was 304 and now at 257 as of today. You can view my before & now pictures at www.pppics.com listed under Christine M. - Christine Montgomery. I have lost 47 pounds.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

30-40mins cardio in the morning from MONDAY to FRIDAY
afternoon lifting +30mins cardio+ab workout MONDAY to FRIDAY

saturday+sunday
cardio 30-40mins +some ab workouts and some lifting
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default My Weekly Workout

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Weight training 20-30 mins followed by 30-45 mins walking (treadmill) at target rate. Followed by 60-100 ab crunches.

Tuesday & Thursday: 45-60 min walking on treadmill followed by 60-100 ab crunches.

I take the weekends off.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

do i need a high heart rate beat when doin cardio to burn fat? when on keto>?
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 10:02

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/195/195
BF:
Progress:
Default Wow Susie!

Your photo is impressive! I also use the CKD, and exercise 5 days a week. I stay below 20 during the week and eat whatever on the weekends. I find that I have more energy while in ketosis, then when I was carbing. I think it may be that you burn up your glycogen and then you get a tired feeling. With ketosis, the ketones are more abundant than your 20 minutes of stored glycogen. This is just a feeling, and the trainers that post here can certainly set me straight on that.

You have kids, but are you married? ;0)
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 07:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Working out

I've been a beta endorphin freak for about 13 years. I did everything from jogging to swimming to aerobics. I finally settled on the Nordictrack as the primary method of getting my rush. I try to do 30 - 40 minutes every morning before 6:30 am. I had been slacking off for the past few weeks as its been incredibly hot (103F on average), but I started back on track yesterday and I'm amazed how much better I feel. I thought there might be problems / adjustments because of the low carb content of my diet, but both workouts have gone smoothly.

Once the cold weather (i.e. winter) is upon us I will be doing 40 minutes in the morning and 40 at night 5 times a week. This was the regiment I started about 4 years ago that enabled me to keep my weight stable while on a low fat diet. I am anxious to see what will happen now, as I've already lost 8 lbs in one week sans any kind of exercise at all.

Oh i nearly forgot, I registered last night for 2 aqua fit classes a week starting in October! I'm totally psyched for that

Nat