Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 21:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Suagr aftertaste

I always like stevia, even though people say it has an aftertaste.

I have tow bottles of coke in my fridge, one is caffine-free diet and one is normal coke that I keep in case I have guests, it's been there for a while.

I felt like having some diet coke so I grabbed some. I felt a real bad aftertaste aftwerwards and then realized after I was done that I got my glass filled with the REAL coke with sugar!!!

Funny, I got used to the diet coke that the real thing had a bad aftertaste! I guess you get used to things after a while!

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 22:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I had a similar experience with 7-Up .. thought it was diet ... and had a funny taste after ... and my teeth felt like they were coated with grunge. I wonder if it's because sugar causes the bacteria to go nuts, or makes the saliva more acid or something?

About stevia ... I tried it a long, long time ago, before it was popular and readily available like it is now. It was only available at the health food store as the green powder. It tasted like stagnant pond scum, except sweet.. bleeahh .. .. Years later I am reading about using it for lowcarbing and I thought to myself No Way!!

But I read your posts, said you used it, so I tried it again (I have a clear liquid concentrate) and it's wonderful. Tastes no different to me than the liquid cyclamate SugarTwin. The aftertaste is very slight, and actually pleasant ... and works very well in herbal tea.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 23:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Glad you liked Doreen!

Needless to say, my sugar consumption is driving all sorts of cravings I haven't felt for a while!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 00:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi, Wa'il. My sympathies on your boo-boo . . . hope the residual effects fade soon.....

Next time, why not keep the regular Coke in the back of a cupboard? It'll be warm, but out of harm's way, and guests can use a couple of ice cubes. Just an idea.....

When I was in London, I had some onions from a salad bar. I ate some before I realized the brown stuff on it was not gravy, as I'd innocently assumed, but a brown sugar glaze. I noticed a yucky aftertaste too, sort of metallic. Had to wash it away with more salad! (I gave the onions away.)

And here I always thought sugar had no aftertaste!

Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oh wa'il,

Yikes been there done that with the pop. Gross stuff that regular pop!

I haven't used stevia yet, just splenda. One of these days if I'm in a health store I might pick some of that stuff up, seems you folks here like it?

Take care on the cravings Wa'il...stay strong, it will pass....lots of water my friend!