Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/172/160
BF:
Progress: 54%

Karen you are my hero.......this cheesecake is maaavalous.. I have a question. I made it without the crust and ran the ingredients through fitday and I got fewer carbs and a lot less calories than you have posted. Unfortunately, fitday doesn't have many brand names and I had to trust their figures on nutritional info, because I had already thrown away the packages. Such as cream cheese, and sour cream. Have you posted the breakdown anywhere?

Bottom line is ..... I am sure you are right and I've made the error but would like to fix it in my fitday account. Thanks, Your LC fan, JoAnne
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm. I use fitday for figuring out recipes too. Let me check it and get back.

Karen
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 08:36
Forum Founder

BF:

Ha! Found it.

I didn't change fitdays charming default of 1 cup of eggs, so the recipe contained 6 cups. It's better to err on the side of too much, than too little!

Here it is corrected:

Total: 7186
Fat: 701 grams
Carbs: 90 grams
Fiber: 15 0 0%
Protein: 175 grams
Alcohol: 3 grams

Without the crust:

Total: 5349
Fat: 515 grams
Carbs: 55 grams
Fiber: 0
Protein: 135 grams
Alcohol: 3 grams

Thanks phonemarsh!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:24

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Karen

This cake sounds divine, but I have a couple of questions before I rush of to the shop to get the ingredients:

What Cream Cheese do you use ? The tangy variety like Philadelphia or the creamy stuff like Mascarpone ?

We don't have "brown Sugar Twin" or "Splenda" here. All the granular sugars here are made from aspartame, so I can't use them for baking. I do have liquid sweetener from germany here though. Will that work ?

Where do I get "Pure Vanilla Extract" from ? In the supermarket they have "Vanilla Flavour", but that is made with sugar alcohols and doesn't taste very strong. Can I substitute with Vanilla ? If that is ok, how many Vanilla "sticks" do I use ?

Thanks
Sabine
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:43
Forum Founder

BF:

I use something similar to Philadelphia brand. Do not use spreadable cream cheese - don't know if you have it there.

What is the sweetener made out of? Can you get Stevia? Using the artificial vanilla extract is OK that you get in supermarkets. I am sure that Waitrose carries the pure.

Watch out Sabine! It makes a really big cake!

Karen
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Today I found a small treasure - 4 of them actually. 3" spring form pans! I've been looking everywhere for smaller ones so I can make a few cakes from this large one - it's so good but it takes up soooo much room in my fridge. I've been looking for these since I tried this recipe way back when. Can't wait to make mini cheesecakes

Nat
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:07

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Karen

The sweetener is called "Natreen" and is made out of:
Water, Artificial Sweeteners (Cyclamat, Saccharin, Thaumatin), Fructose, Citric Acid and Sorbic Acid.

100ml is equal to 1320g sugar

100ml has 1.1kcal, 0g protein, <1g carbs, 0g fat
also has no influence on insulin (that's what they say on the bottle)

This is a new recipe. It never used to contain Fructose, but I couldn't find any of the "old" bottles anymore last time I was in Germany. The lable now reads : "The sweetness of Natreen now also contains a completley natural sweetener to improve taste". Well, we all know how "natural" fructose is...

This sweetener is actually made by Sara Lee, Germany.

We do have Waitrose in the UK, but I haven't got one close to here. I can use the artificial Vanilla as I still have soke in the cupboard, but could I use natural Vanilla ?

You confused me regarding the cheese. Philadelphia is spreadable cream cheese ?? Or do you mean not to use the processed cheese (Milkana is the only one I know. It's kind of yellowy and sticky and doesn't taste of cheese ?) ?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:03
Forum Founder

BF:

The sweetener sounds OK, except for the fructose!

By non-spreadable, it should come in a little brick and not say "spreadable" or "soft spreadable" on the label.

Using the artificial extract is OK.

Here is a link on making your own vanilla from beans, but it can be very $$$:

http://www.kitchenproject.com/vanil...illaExtract.htm

Karen
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/172/160
BF:
Progress: 54%

Karen, Thank you for updating the calorie and carb content in this. Funny thing is...after you posted your reply I found that I had made the mistake when I made the receipe in the first place. Instead of 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese, I used 2 1/2 packages of 8 oz cream cheese. (then transfered it to fitday the wrong way) Funnier still.... It turned out delicious. Go figure. Thanks again.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 00:05
Forum Founder

BF:

Glad it worked out with one pound less cream cheese. Try it with the extra pound! It might be cheesier!

Karen
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default commercial sugar free cheese cake

I used to buy a sugar free cheese cake from wal mart and after a while they stopped carrying it. I complained and after a while they carried it and I bought it by the case to freeze. They told me not enough people bought it! I said it had to be a lie since all the other crap with no sugar was selling well, so why wouldn't a loverly nice looking cheese cake? It seemed to be out everytime I tried to buy it.
so now maybe I have to cook one myself.
Also, I used to have a recipe for riccota cheese cake or Italian Easter grain pie it was callled also. Does any one have an Italian background that still has some living relatives that know how to make this version?
I simple forgot, having made it by memory, and now MOM is gone and I don't know where to call.
Plus I have this feeling that Ricotta style is a lot more healthier than cream cheese.
Could be wrong?
Last year I was committed to try and got the ingredients correct but the wrong ratio. The cheese caked turned out looking like a pie instead. and the choco-chips went to the bottom. The people who I had made them for, {all presents} said it wast great tasting.
Last but not least, does anyone have a copy of the old old old weight warches program?
I believe it was really one of the first low carbs diets around where everybody lost weight.
help some one?????
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 10:36

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Talking Loved the cheesecake

Karen,
I made the cheesecake on the weekend for mother's day. Put some halved stawberries around the edge and twelve on top to mark each peice. My parents and I and one of my friends all really enjoyed it. I'm still enjoying a peice each day (those peices really are big!).

I made the cheesecake in a water bath. Is that maybe why it turned out more like a set style rather than a baked style? It seems to me that baked cheesecakes are a bit drier and firmer than the one I made and I prefer them like the baked.

I'm going to make another one this week for my birthday on thursday. Should I skip the water bath or bake it at a higher temperature? I did set it at 500 like you said and then turned it down to 200 ( or what ever the recipe said). I was thinking of baking it at 300 instead of 200. What do you think?

Thanks for being such a great resouce on this site!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 19:16

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Karen

I just tried your cake today. I decided to cut the recipe in half. I checked the oven after an hour, figuring the cake would take less time to cook. I was right. It wasn't quite burned, but would have burned had I left it there longer. I think it will be still good but it's rather overcooked. No woobly center.

How long would you suggest i cook it, halving the recipe ?

Last edited by Angeline : Fri, Sep-13-02 at 08:34.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:19
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have to wait till I get off induction and add more carbs... but I'm gonna use hazelnuts in the crust! Hazelnuts are YUMMY!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 00:01
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Angeline
How long would you suggest i cook it, halving the recipe ?

Are you making it in a smaller pan or the same sized pan as the recipe specifies with half the batter?

Karen