Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

For those in the Courtenay area, Mc Gavins has a huge sale on Dempsters low carb bread, They got a huge over shipment.
It is the white one,

2 for 99 cents!!!, regular 3.99

IF you eat this, load up your freezer

Cheers Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 22:56

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Finally made it into the Low Carb Grocer in Victoria. It's in the mall behind London Drugs just beside Market on Yates. Lots of stuff you can't find anywhere. Lots of Atkins products I haven't seen elsewhere. Got some Hot Cereal but haven't tried it yet. Also got some Peanut Brittle which was excellent! They had lots of stuff like LC Mac & Cheese, Tortilla chips, Thickening Stuff for sauces, Hot Chocolate mix, LC Ketchup, Lots of chocolate/candy, etc. If you're on a budget youll want to go easy but it's a great place to find hard to get LC stuff and get a treat!
  #153   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 11:20

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Thanks Archie!
I'll go there this weekend. I need a bit of variety in my diet.
  #154   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 20:52

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

I just got home from the Low Carb Grocer in Victoria. The owner (Joanna) was there. She only works on Saturdays, as she is a dental assistant Mon.-Fri. Strange - she said I had beautiful teeth. Then on the way home, I was driving along, not even eating anything + my back one that had a temperary filling in, waiting to have a crown put in, actually fell apart all by itself. Ya- nice teeth!!
Anyway- apart from cursing my teeth- She is the nicest, bubbly, friendly lady.
Oh- and she gave me 10% off for being a "Curves" member.
I got Margaritta mix ( no carbs), the hot cereal Archie got, and some caramel Devinci syrup to put on top.A bag ( small) of "Just the cheese" It was expensive($4.99), but very good tasting. And- it is surprisinly filling. I couldn't eat the whole tiny bag.I also got some Atkins barbecue sauce. I forgot to get the ketchup, and that is what I was going there for - oh well- another time.
And- my best find- "Walden Farms" chocolate dip. It is thick + so delicious!!! No carbs, fat or calories. Makes you wonder how they make it so good. She only got it in this AM. It is her biggest seller, +she can't keep it on the shelf for a day! It's $6.99 a jar, and worth it. You must try this chocolate dip, Archie.
  #155   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 17:12

Plan: Generic low-carb
Stats: 282/278/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Lower Carb menu at Smitty's

Unbelievable but true! Smitty's (that I've always though of as a pancake house) now has a selection of lower carb choices. Mother loves to go there for lunch when she's shopping downtown and invited me because she had seen a sign advertising their new menu additions. Sure enough they had 4 (5?) selections on a colourful new menu page. I had the 3 egg-3 cheese omlette that comes with 2 sausages, 2 strips of bacon, 2 slices of l/c toast and 4 tomato slices. They didn't give the actual numbers but it's pretty much the type of thing I eat at home so...

The other selections (why do I never remember to take notes?) included steak, chicken and seafood. I noticed that the chicken came with cheese-topped cauliflower. They were relatively expensive. My meal was 9.99 but was so huge I couldn't finish it. I was also really impressed that they went to the trouble to buy low-carb bread instead of just leaving off the toast.

Don't know if they have smitty's in the rest of Canada, but in Victoria there's another place to go with the family.
  #156   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that our walmart, superstore and quality food have upped their low carb stuff.
I bought the carb options bbq sauce at quality foods, it was about a dollar cheaper than at superstore. A shock for me because I find quality foods so expensive except for meat.
angie
  #157   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:15

BF:

Hey I stopped into Quizno's for lunch they have a ton of Low carb choices, I was'nt into a $7.00 sandwich, so I just had the Chili, not sure how low carb that was, but it was good

But nice to know that choice is there on a day I'm hungrier.

Kathy
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 15:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ross Chocolate-Costco

For those of you who use Ross Chocolate bars, I just found out they have them at Costco in Langford, but behind the counter of the Pharmacy. I think they are $1.33 each. Just for your info!!!

Glenda
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 21:22
Registered Member

Stats: 132/117.2/115 Female 5'3
BF:20%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda
For those of you who use Ross Chocolate bars, I just found out they have them at Costco in Langford, but behind the counter of the Pharmacy. I think they are $1.33 each. Just for your info!!!

Glenda

Y E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins...modified
Stats: 227/200/160 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Any chance that the low carb group in the Courtenay area are planning a get together in August. I am from Powell River, but will be in the Courtenay/Campbell River area for a month.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 20:48

BF:

Hello Ellen, I'm not sure when our next lunch is, summer everyone is busy. However you may want to contact Betty Anne or Angie in their journals or P.M. and just link up for coffee one day while you are here.

Cheers Kathy
  #162   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins...modified
Stats: 227/200/160 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks Kathy...sounds like a good idea.
Cheers, Ellen
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 12:17

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Does anyone know if we can get this "Diet Rite" locally, preferably around Victoria but I do wander sometimes so even up island. Also what alternatives have you guys found to Aspertame sweetened soft drinks other than the obvious water etc.
Thanks!
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 12:38
Registered Member

Stats: 201/187/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have it straight from the horse's mouth (the horse being Diet Rite), no Diet Rite in Canada! I wrote them just last week asking if they sold it in Canada, and if not, then they should! The letter I received back indicated they would send my comment on to the marketing department. So maybe you could also write them and put in the request? If there's enough interest, maybe they'll start selling here! Here's the URL for their contact form:

http://www.brandspeoplelove.com/ind...ww.dietrite.com

Oh, and btw, I'm an Islander myself! Hullo!

As for alternatives, I've discovered my local LC store sells diet Jones Soda which is sweetened with Splenda (whee!). It's the Low Carb Grocer by the London Drugs on Yates Street in Victoria.
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 18:19

Plan: Generic low-carb
Stats: 282/278/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I found the Black Cherry flavour of Jones' splenda sweetened soda at the Thrifty's at Admirals Walk. Cheaper than at the low-carb store (1.39 ea), but only the one flavour. Most of the time I just make iced tea from scratch or buy kool-aid and sweeten with a mix of stevia and splenda.