Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

is there any of that 1 carb ketchup in Canada yet? I have looked on their web site but didn't find an links for that in Canada. any one know
angie
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 04:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Thanks Archie - I looked a little harder, + found some good sounding ones on Karen's corner.
Angiek - she had an easy Heinz -like tomato Ketchup on the same thread. I just went to "Karen's corner" in the recipe forum + searched for barbecue sauce. There were a few good ones I'm going to make this weekend.
  #138   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:53
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

Safeway in Courtenay had one day old Carb correct bread for .99 a loaf yesterday. Of course I loaded up!!!
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 10:28

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Don't know if this has been posted yet but Thriftys at Cloverdale now has Smart Carb (or something like that anyway) Ice Cream sweetened with Splenda. There are someothers there as well sweetened with Aspertame.
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:14

Plan: Generic low-carb
Stats: 282/278/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Visited Chemainus last week and found that the fudge shop on Willow St. (that I was dreading walking past) has a huge selection of sugar-free treats made on site as well as bags of candies from other manufacturers. They also sell bags of maltitol crystals.
I got something very much like Almond Roca and DH picked up choc-covered orange sherbet (I never liked the soft centers).
They had bags of licorice whips (a la twizzlers) both black and red. Lots of different kinds of hard candies as well as their own chocolate treats.
Keep in mind here that I work across the street from a Roger's Chocolates and am familiar with their sugar-free line - but this place still got me all atwitter.
Which reminds me, Roger's in Oak Bay has s/f Jelly-Belly jelly beans that are just as flavourful as the real thing. Keep in mind though, that they're almost pure maltitol. I try not to eat more than 8-10 a day when I have them.
  #141   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
Don't know if this has been posted yet but Thriftys at Cloverdale now has Smart Carb (or something like that anyway) Ice Cream sweetened with Splenda. There are someothers there as well sweetened with Aspertame.

SmartScoop
  #142   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:39

Stats: 203/190/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Smile 1 carb ketchup

There is a store in Nanaimo (behind Earl's) called Sensible Carbz. I just went there today and they have a large selection of stuff including the low-carb ketchup.[FONT=Verdana]
  #143   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 21:30

BF:

Yep Islandgirl! That's it. And they also have it at Costco I discovered today. I didn't check the price but it's certainly less than Thriftys....
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Yogurt
Stats: 195/150/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yesterday the Costco in Langford {Vanc. Island} had
Atkins Ketchup [2 pack] for $5 something.
Atkins Brownie mix 2 pack. Sorry not sure here but I think maybe $8 something.
Talking Rain Carbonated and Not Carbonated $17 something for 24
Genisoy crunch bars and another new type of LC bar
Think that was it for Costco.
Now the Health food store At Colwood Corners has a bunch of new bars
I think the Maltitol [maybe Xylitol] sugar crystals ~ $8 smallish bag.
LaTortilla Wraps $5 something
Jan

Last edited by cdnjan : Sat, Apr-03-04 at 16:25.
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 00:29

Stats: 205/191/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default chemainus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil
Visited Chemainus last week and found that the fudge shop on Willow St. (that I was dreading walking past) has a huge selection of sugar-free treats made on site as well as bags of candies from other manufacturers. They also sell bags of maltitol crystals.
I got something very much like Almond Roca and DH picked up choc-covered orange sherbet (I never liked the soft centers).
They had bags of licorice whips (a la twizzlers) both black and red. Lots of different kinds of hard candies as well as their own chocolate treats.
Keep in mind here that I work across the street from a Roger's Chocolates and am familiar with their sugar-free line - but this place still got me all atwitter.
Which reminds me, Roger's in Oak Bay has s/f Jelly-Belly jelly beans that are just as flavourful as the real thing. Keep in mind though, that they're almost pure maltitol. I try not to eat more than 8-10 a day when I have them.

Hi I am new and live in Chemainus, very curious about the candy at the fudge shop, can you tell me about them? carbs etc

anyone else in this area??
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:18

BF:

I can't remember any numbers but in the case of most sugar-free sweets the maltitol doesn't count towards net carbs only the nuts, milk products or other "fillings" in the chockies. Most of the bags have numbers on them and I'm sure the staff must be able to answer questions about the stuff they make there. In my experience most of those little treats have 1-3 carbs/per.

Since you say you're new I will mention two things: - avoid this kind of stuff while on induction and keep in mind that maltitol (and other -ol sweetners) work because your body can't process them. Eat too much and you may get cramps/flatulance/diarrhea. For me, I can eat one or two pieces of chocolate or candies and feel fine. In any case they shouldn't be a daily thing - I save this kind of eating (since they're usually expensive) for holidays and vacations.

All the best,
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:06

Stats: 205/191/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks

thanks for the info, I didn;t realize I could eat any candy at all, so this is exciting news.
Being so new at this I am afraid I don't understand a lot of the diet. I am finding it pretty boring so far, and hoping to be able to add a few treats in to help out .
I have lots 14lbs, which I am thrilled with, but if I can't find a couple yummy things to spice it up I know I will give up.
I am very excited to see a couple restaurants llisted that I can eat at, anyone know of any between Duncan and Naniamo. Chemainus Ladysmith would be perfect to know about. I am disabled and don't get out much but when I do I would love to be able to stick to my diet. So far I have tried Mcd's (so so)
and I really like the subway wraps, but I can't eat them all the time(well I could)
Another question I have is drinks, I drink lots of water but I really would like something else to drink. I don't understand the diet pop stuff. I understand there is a health issue, but I guess I want to know can I drink diet pop occasionally and what kind is ok. diet sprite, or fresca or as long as it is diet??

one more question cream .... I have heard it is 0carbs and has carbs. I only use a small amount in my tea so I would like to know if I need to count it or not.
I am so excited to find a place to help with all my newbie questions!!!!
Lesley
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:24

BF:

In case you haven't heard of it here's a tip on some products from Vancouver. They're from the Red Square Bakery on Joffre. They make a bunch of stuff like Powerflax Cookies with splenda, low carb doughnuts and a bunch of great stuff. Picked some up a couple of weeks ago when I was over after reading about them on lowcarb.ca. You can even buy plain low carb bread dough if you have things you'd like to try baking yourself.
Well, this post was as much to keep the thread alive as anything....hope everyone is doing well!
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirainbow
I didn;t realize I could eat any candy at all, so this is exciting news.

I try to save the candies for special treats. I don't want to reinforce my sweet-tooth that got me to this point in the first place. I still remember my first strawberry last spring after a month on induction. It seemed like the best thing I had ever tasted!
Quote:
Being so new at this I am afraid I don't understand a lot of the diet. I am finding it pretty boring so far

If you look through a handful of women's magazines you're bound to find the full page ad from Atkins with lots of pictures of the foods we can choose from. Just to give you an idea, this week I have had: fish w/ a few prawns in cream sauce, pork chops, tuna salad, cole slaw, sauted chard, asparagus, cauliflower in cheese sauce, meatloaf made with Atkins bbq sauce (spicy!), devilled eggs, roast chicken, celery w/ smoked salmon cream cheese, brazil nuts, almonds, and some salami slices (check for carbs).
Yes, I do spend more for groceries than I used to, but I save on not eating out as much and not grabbing a bag of chips or candy bar every time I go into a store.
Quote:
I have lots 14lbs

Yay you! That's terrific! {cheerleader mode} "Gimmie an L, gimmie an E, gimmie a ..." - oh well you get the idea
Quote:
I am very excited to see a couple restaurants... ...Chemainus Ladysmith would be perfect

Almost any restaurant has low-carb options. Say Bonnie Martin's in Chemainus; they have a great garden salad that you can order with grilled chicken or shrimp on top, their chef's salad is good too. If you go early in the day try one of their great omlettes. I love the mushroom, green onion and cheese one. I asked for no toast, no hashbrowns but with a side of bacon, no questions asked and I walked out full!
Any place that serves steak or grilled chicken will do, just ask for no bread or potatoes and a green salad instead.
Quote:
Another question I have is drinks, I drink lots of water but I really would like something else to drink. I don't understand the diet pop stuff.

It seems that there are health concerns around aspartame (or maybe just too much aspartame). Some people are very sensitive to it. It can cause headaches and in the most highly publicized cases, symptoms similar to Multiple Sclerocis in people who consume a lot. Personally it doesn't seem to affect me, but just to be on the safe side I only have a couple of cans in a month. Otherwise I look for the rare sodas sweetened with splenda or I just buy unsweetened kool-aid and use a mix of stevia and splenda to sweeten in or make my own iced tea. Many herbal teas make delicious iced tea. Cheap too.
Quote:
one more question cream

The higher the milkfat the lower the carbs. I use whipping cream (33% mf) for sauces, on sf jello and in my coffee. The package says 1.1g carbs for 2 tablespoons.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Keep up the good work!
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Yogurt
Stats: 195/150/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Pretty excited to see the CarbOptions products in the Safeway [full page flyer]
Also Save has the CarbOptions Too.
Was in to Lifestyles [Victoria] the other day. WOW what a ton of new stuff altho pricey.
From Pie Crust mixes to SF apple Cider, lemonade Atkins Pasta...the list goes on forever...Davincis, many sauces and marinades,Powdered whey vanilla and chocolate just add water to have chocolate milk etc. My best find was LC FRESH Rotini [made from soy] have not tried it but did buy it...Anyway worth a trip in for sure.
Jan